Skatetown U.S.A. Reviews

• Jul 25, 2014

Not a particularly good movie, but if you've ever wanted to see Patrick Swayze as the leader of evil roller-disco gang, you should check it out.

• Sep 03, 2012

I've only seen this (in recent years, but that's probably the only time) on YouTube in around 14 pieces, so I'd love to see it on an actual TV, in one piece. Of the few skating movies from that era, I'd say this one spends the most time in the rink (almost all of it). Lots of stars of the day, too (...it's like "The Love Boat" on wheels!)

• Feb 26, 2012

I used to love the roller rink when I was a kid. Not really old enough to get into the pure hype of it all when it was in its disco hey day but I do remember skating in 1980 when Another Bites the Dust was big. That was a fucking awesome song to skate to. Personally I used to spend more time in the arcade then on the rink though..anyways Skatetown USA is a fun little trip down memory lane to the roller disco in all its cheesy goodness. Not nearly as good as Roller Boogie it still has a huge nostalgia w/ neon & disco balls galore. It's like the Disney World of skate halls. Plus it has time capsule actors like Scott Baio, Maureen McCormick & Ron 'Horseshack' Palillo in the cast. How can you not get more retro kitch then that? Worth it alone to see Patrick Swayze in his first role who tries to prove what a badass skater he is to do a routine w/ his own belt

• Aug 15, 2011

If a roller disco movie with Scott Baio, Maureen McCormick, Flip Wilson, Patrick Swayze & Ron Palillo sounds good to you, then you really can't afford to miss this one.

• Jan 20, 2010

i saw this when i was about 9 or 10 years old and at the time it was cool. roller disco was in and i used to go to a place like this (though not as glitzy). some 30 years later i finally found a copy of it to watch. verdict: cheesy, silly and downright stupid BUT a lot of fun for me. i'm pretty sure i saw this on a matinee double bill with "roller boogie". in this movie are "stars" from tv shows at the time: scott baio (happy days), ron palillo (welcome back kotter), and maureen mccormick (brady bunch). and making his big screen debut? patrick swayze! there's virtually no plot- it's more or less just a bunch of scenes strung together. but for those of us old enough to remember this era this is a fun way to transport yourself back for an hour and a half.

• Sep 28, 2008

My favourite part was when the badass roller boogie gang (led of course, by Patrick Swayze) beats up everyone on the rink just so they could have the space to themselves in order to do a choreographed skate dance. Classic.

• Apr 30, 2008

Patrick Swayze is so smoking. Seriously, Any man you can pull off hot pink and black lycra and leather and still make me go "yeah, thats how I want to be touched ::swoon::" has "it." I enjoyed the heck out of this movie! Well... anytime there was singing, or a "skate performance" (not by the stars) I would disengage... It made the maddingly awesome "Wizard" (who can make a neon decadent skate party in seconds) a little bitter sweet, because, I knew he was the segue to boring... yet... wow! I want more of that! This movie was littered with comedians and they all shown! The hot dog guy and the old man with his vaudeville shtick were golden.

• Dec 18, 2007

hilarious-geek seventies-watch it!

hilarious-geek seventies-watch it!

• Oct 25, 2007

Scott Baio and Patrick Swayze star in a film about clashing roller-skating disco gangs. It's even more hilariously awful than that subject matter suggests, especially the super-fruity climactic skate-off, which can render even jaded crap-hecklers speechless. Despite its entertainment value, "Skatetown, U.S.A." earns a deduction for several just-plain-bad slapstick scenes.