Skidoo - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Skidoo Reviews

November 22, 2010
Groucho Marx dropped LSD in order to research his role in this film. His experience was covered by High Times. True story.
February 6, 2010
wow with everyone in it and Preminger directing, I thought it would be "bad" funny. Very strange movie. Gave it one more star for the entire credits being sung at the end.
½ September 14, 2009
A classic! Jackie Gleason, Mickey Rooney and Groucho Marx as God!!! A real lot of fun... reminds me a little of the carry on films... also has what I would say is one of the most creative way of doing the closing credits I've ever seen!
June 25, 2009
Jackie Gleason and half the cast of the 60's Batman series trip balls, Groucho Marx plays a pot smoking God, Frankie Avalon plays a gangster and Carol Channing freaks out. Music by Harry Nilsson. Good luck finding this 60's counter culture gem!
June 18, 2009
Oh, my. You need to see this one to believe it. It starts off as just a really mediocre gangster comedy in which Jackie Gleason gets into prison to bump off a snitch, but things go completely bonkers when he accidentally takes LSD. His hallucinations include Mickey Rooney dancing and Groucho Marx's head on a rotating screw. The rest of the people in the prison - including Burgess Meredith, Frank Gorshin ('I'm seeing an angel! I am an angel!'), Slim Pickens, Jaws from the James Bond movies, and Peter Lawford - follow Gleason's example and wind up inadvertently tripping balls themselves; dancing garbage cans, naked football players, and general mayhem ensue. Throw in a bunch of hippies, Carol Channing (in an old-timey general's uniform and a platinum-blond wig) singing the title song, and Groucho (in his final role, donning that greasepaint mustache once again) as the mob boss who ultimately sails off into bliss (the sails on the boat read 'Peace' and 'Love') smoking pot with Austin Pendleton while they wear hippie robes, and you've got this astonishingly odd mess of a movie. Harry Nilsson sings the end credits (and I mean that quite literally). I don't know how the hell Otto Preminger made this movie; I guess it had something to do with him dropping acid during production. (Groucho took LSD as well.) It's really something else to watch all these well-known figures trying to be hip and groovy. Wow. Those were the days.
March 4, 2009
What do you get when a respectable director (Otto Preminger, responsible for the classic Man With The Golden Arm) and a lot a straight middle aged actors try and make a desperately hip and "groovy" psychedelic comedy full of acid trips?...
Well you get one the greatest "so bad its brilliant" films ever made. Anyone who complains it is a pile of shite is missing the point: it's a pile of shite in such a wonderful way. Whatever possessed Jackie Gleason, Carol Channing, Frankie Avalon, Mickey Rooney and Groucho "Spliffsmoker" Marx to appear in this abomination, God only knows? But thank the Lord that they did! Jackie Gleason hallucinating Groucho Marx's disembodied head attached to a giant flying rotating screw while tripping is probably my favourite drug scene ever; and as for the dustbins dancing, well... groovy, baby!
All I can say is any fan of 60s kitch has got to see this film; much of it is surprisingly amatuerish, but the shear absurdity makes up for the shoddiness. (See how many actors from the Batman TV series you can spot...)
(How did I forget to mention that Groucho plays "God", the head of the mafia!)
½ September 9, 2008
I can't decide if this is worst movie ever...or the best. 1 star? 5 stars? I'll split the difference and lean toward the positive. You think it's going to be standard issue late-60s hippies vs. squares awkward comedy, but it is oh so much stranger. Jackie Gleason plays the head of a Sopranos-type suburban family. He's called in to make one last hit, behind bars. Along the way we get Mickey Rooney, Carol Channing, Cesar Romero, Frankie Avalon, a young Austin Pendleton (so good years later on Homicide and OZ), and an old Groucho Marx. Ah, but that's not all: How about extended LSD-trip sequences with Gleason, Slim Pickens, Frank Gorshin, Peter Lawford, Burgess Meredith, Richard "Jaws" Kiel, Harry freaking Nilsson (who provides the music as well)? My head is still spinning.
½ September 7, 2008
Horrible, and crazy fil m that holds the viewer stunned.
July 13, 2008
WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS MOVIE!?!??!?!? I was in utter shock the entire time watching it. Just because frankie avalon plays a skeazy slimeball and jackie gleason is tripping face.
I've never seen any of Preminger's work, maybe that's my problem?
½ July 13, 2008
Witness: EX-STARS WHO DIDN'T SAVE THEIR MONEY! Seriously, the only thing more glarringly bright than the psychedelic fashions is the shame radiating from the uttery wasted tallend in this film. To think that Goucho Marx closed his carear with this tripe. Like most zany, allegedly "hip" comedies of the era, Skidoo is oppressively unfunny and embarassing (not to mention so unhip that it hurts). 60s fanatics (like myself) will no doubt get a kick out of the reasonably accurate representation of hippie fashion, though the characters wearing them are just as stupid as in any other hippie-exploitation film. Harry Nilsson's music is reasonably good to, though it ironically turns sour right as the film suddenly transforms into a musical for it's final ten minutes. The only genuinely funny moments, ironically, are the very begining and end. The collection of TV commercials that open the film are ten times funnier than everything that follows it, and Nilsson singing the ENTIRE credits is a witty idea that belongs in a much better film. Even bad movie fanatics may have a hard time sitting through this one. Heck, I can't imagine ANYONE having an easy time sitting through Carol Channing belting out a flower power anthem.
July 12, 2008
This is actually the best depiction of a "trip" I've ever seen in a movie. The only good part, other than the soundtrack.
½ July 1, 2008
In 1968 Otto Priminger decided to take acid and shoot a film, Skidoo is the result. Gleason's a hippie hating ex-mobster and his boss is a Kingpin called GOD played by Groucho Marx. The cast is amazing with music by Harry Nillson. The film is very strange and campy, it's not very good but worth a watch just to see Groucho smoke dope.
June 23, 2008
How anyone got Jackie Gleason to agree to do a movie like this I'll never know. For the last half of the film his character's on acid. I believe this should be required watching for anyone entering the organized crime world or planning to get married.
June 5, 2008
Usually when people describe something and say "on acid" they're trying to describe how weird it is. For this one, they're really on acid. It's THE HONEYMOONERS meets THE SOPRANOS on LSD. Not a great movie by any count, but doesn't deserve the drubbing it's gotten.
June 5, 2008
Deeply weird, but strangely fun, the kind of movie that could only have been made in the late 60s. All those classic Hollywood stars in a psychedelic setting... Nilsson singing the credits... yeah, it's terrible, but I can't help liking it.
May 31, 2008
A lot of it comes off like a bad Preminger parody, but as soon as the acid hits, it's great. The film doesn't really hold together, but hearing Harry Nilsson sing about rotting food while watching anthropomorphic trash cans dance plus the glee of watching Jackie Gleason drop acid and Groucho Marx smoke a joint make it, well, awesome.
½ May 23, 2008
Everything you've heard about "Skidoo" is true, especially if you heard it was really dull. Why don't more movies sing their ending credits? Oh, right, because it's a terrible idea.
April 25, 2008
Yet ANOTHER 1960s film where Jackie Gleason takes an acid trip, Carol Channing does a striptease, Groucho Marx smokes a joint and Harry Nilsson sings the entire closing credits. Ho-fricking-hum.
March 8, 2008
sure, it had some slow parts, but the first 20 minutes, the garage can dance number, and just the fact that this film EXISTS is enough for me.