The Skulls - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Skulls Reviews

December 28, 2013
Good thriller about college faternity. Great performances by Joshua and Paul.
½ December 2, 2013
As much as I hate admitting it, just a day after Paul Walker's death, but this movie is pretty bad. It's poor acted and Paul Walker's character seemed incongruous. RIP Paul Walker
½ November 30, 2013
You may experience a few thrills during some of "The Skulls" actions scenes, but for a movie with several supposed twists and turns, you will probably never truly be surprised. And that's too bad. It was clear from about 15mins in the movie that the plot and character developpement were nonexistent, and it really showed all threw this hamburger of a movie.
½ November 30, 2013
A secret society gone wrong, with recycled plot from other youth adult films. There's nothing interesting about this film, avoid at all cost.
August 30, 2013
Very cool movie that you just don't see anymore.
½ August 12, 2013
How can it be a secret society if everybody knows about it?
½ July 10, 2013
Seen it before. And didn't like it the first time....straight to video? How about straight to the trash can....
July 7, 2013
1. A disorderly or dirty accumulation, heap, or jumble: left a mess in the yard.
a. A cluttered, untidy, usually dirty condition: The kitchen was a mess.
b. A confused, troubling, or embarrassing condition; a muddle: With divorce and bankruptcy proceedings pending, his personal life was in a mess.
c. One that is in such a condition: clothes that were a mess after painting the ceiling; made a mess of their marriage.

"The Skulls", a suspense drama film (although upon viewing it, I can rightly say it can be more appropriately categorized under comedy) released in 2000 directed by Rob Cohen is the very definition of what a mess can be from a cinematic standpoint.

The film centers around a secret society known as the skulls, which recruit new students every school year who excel both physically and intellectually to join their little club. A club that thrives on the riches of wealth, power and fulfilling every wish one would desire. The film begins with a premise that can have potential, it could have been at least a decently crafted thriller with some nice twists. But upon surviving until the final scene I came to realize that the way I imagined and envisioned the film in a few seconds was actually far superior than how the entire film ended up turning out.

As stated, the groundwork here had a good chance of being decent. A secret society shrouded in mystery? Perfect premise for any thriller. However, all hope for this film is ruined by three main components which are: the editing, the acting, the plot (where last time I checked, are the three most fundamental aspects of any film being a success).

The editing was probably what butchered the film the most. The film has an almost bi-polar editing style. In some instances, it would spend FAR too much time on one sequence where in others it would hardly give enough development at all. It's a pace that can make things difficult to follow and oddly feel too rushed and underdeveloped at the same time. For example, we spend at least the first thirty minutes of this film wasting time about discussing how mysterious the organization of The Skulls are. How about to save time (and the patience of the viewer), just show the actual organization from the get-go and throw the characters already in the mix of things? That may seem simplistic but its far better than needlessly overly complicating the storyline. The film then decides to further waste time by showing the newest skull members living "da life". After about 15 minutes of showing them going to high class dinners, dressing up in countless tuxedos, sipping on an endless supply of wine and driving high class sports cars; I do believe that it is only fair for me to utter the words "yeah, I get it" at least once or twice. The film then moves at a lightning fast pace bringing in subplots, rushing a love story and reaching its climax in such unspectacular fashion that its a wonder the studio execs even took this seriously. Just for me to rub more salt in the wound (as this was supposed to be edited by 'professionals') the cuts between scenes in this film are absolutely horrific. Music cutting out, the cuts drawing huge attention to themselves etc. Not too mention one sequence later on the film which molds terrible editing and godawful camera work which I can't even discuss here as it will make me cry.

The acting, for lack of better word....well let us put it this way. The fly from Troll 2 was better. No line can be taken seriously, no facial expression (that is if the characters actually used any other than confused, angry and neutral) hardly conveys feeling and the dialogue is a joke. Lines are repeated by other characters literally seconds after another individual just spoke them. If I had to hear one person say "oh my god", then hear "shit", just for that to loop another 17 times I would have jumped out of a window. The characters don't develop or learn throughout the film and have no real sense of action and consequence. It's all stupid, all around.

Last but not least, the plot.

Where is it?
No, there is no punchline.
Where's the plot? I don't see it anywhere. I know there is a secret society and a group of kids wanting to get in, then stuff goes wrong but...where's the rest of it? There are no stakes, no true development of anything at all and even if there was the editing and characters are too dull for me even give a rat's ass.

"The Skulls" is a mess, it has caused me to write a longer review than usual because I just needed to vent some rage from how much I despised this movie. Due to its braindead characters, atrocious editing, pitiful music, weak plot and general lack of any sort of features that would work in its favor; I can say nothing other than this was very, very painful to watch.
June 17, 2013
dated and mildly disturbing.
½ April 29, 2013
Stupide, penible, bien trop long, mal ecrit, dote d'un score de telefilm et surtout mis en scene avec les pieds, The Skulls est une catastrophe industrielle cependant partiellement sauvee par des acteurs (Paul Walker, Joshua Jackson, Hill Harper et William Petersen en tete) qui jouent tout au premier degre, ce qui donne une impensable sympathie au film, ce qui aide vraiment a faire passer la pilule.
½ April 18, 2013
Super cheesy, yet still a relatively entertaining thriller.
April 8, 2013
This secret society is truly dangerous. The manipulation & deception are so calculated. The story was captivating.
½ April 4, 2013
Intolerably stupid and ridiculous.
March 31, 2013
I still don't quite understand the synopsis
½ March 1, 2013
I was more surprised at how empty the university was than with the plotline. Was there such a tight budget that the production company couldn't spring for more extras?
January 16, 2013
Interesting story. The old power money corrupts. One of Paul Walker's early works.
January 15, 2013
Una de mis peliculas Favoritas.
December 28, 2012
enjoyed this when I saw it in theaters
December 17, 2012
Will Beckford: If it's secret and elite, it can't be good.

"Getting in is easy. Getting out is a killer."

The Skulls has an interesting plot surrounding it for sure. That's what made me want to watch it. Even with a good sounding concept though, this movie fails on so many levels. With a better cast, less melodramatic bullshit, and dialogue that doesn't sound like a made for tv movie; it could have succeeded. I still have to admit to being entertained by this garbage, and also I applaud it for its material. In the end though, it's still a movie that must be judged as any other.

Lucas is a hard working student at Yale. While most of the people around him come from families of power and wealth; he does not. He has to work for everything he gets. When a secret society picks him for its new membership class, he gets everything he couldn't have before. He gets money, he gets women, he gets a new car, and he gets a brotherhood of powerful men that would do anything to protect him. He's living it up like one of the social elite. That is until he finds his best friend hanging from the ceiling.

The Skulls is a movie based around the concept of a secret society. The secret society that this film most notably is impersonating is that of The Skull and Bones, which is a real secret society at Yale. Among it's members were George H.W. Bush, George W. Bush, and John Kerry. The thing I really liked about this movie was that it didn't pull punches. If you don't think this is the type of corrupt shit that goes along with all these secret societies that the globalist elite are a part of; you're wrong. It's okay though, because we will all see some day. In real life, these societies go much deeper than this, but as a surface scraping movie, it deserves a little praise for at least making an attempt. It's not a documentary, but a piece of fiction; I get that. There is, however, some truth in it.

Overall, I actually enjoyed the movie to a degree. It was of the so bad, it's good variety of enjoyment though. The dialogue, acting, and plot developments are rather shitty, but underneath it all; it does have an entertaining and involving plot. The most important scenes feel rushed though and the ending will leave you in a state of shock, that this script could actually get pushed through as was. Oh well though. It could have been much, much better, but in the end, this was what we were left with.
½ December 7, 2012
Makes a fine addition to my collection.