Sky Pirates - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sky Pirates Reviews

April 25, 2012
When Raiders Of The Lost Ark came out there were a heap of copy-cat movies. High Road To China and Romancing The Stone are two well known ones... and then the Aussies wanted a slice of the pie and so we have Sky Pirates. Released in 1986 it is very much an imitation of Indiana Jones... the score is very reminiscent of John Williams' famous theme, the action sequences are very Spielbergian and it even uses overlapping shots of a plane flying across a map with that funny red line. BUT it all works really well. I think Sky Pirates is a great flick and I'd go so far as to say it's my favourite of the Indy clones. The story begins with an RAAF pilot in the 40s flying a research team to Bora Bora. Its a classified mission and the plane is caught in an electrical time storm/warp. They land in the ocean and find themselves in the Sea of Lost Planes, a sort of Bermuda Triangle, close to Easter Island. This starts an adventure featuring elements of time travel and ancient cultures as well as an extraterrestrial mystery. The production is good and John Hargreaves is fantastic in the lead role. There's a few continuity flaws (obvious ones) but they're easily overlooked... its just a damn fun movie.
February 15, 2011
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Crap
½ April 4, 2010
cheesy but fun, raiders meets philidelphia experiment
November 30, 2008
aka Gunbus, not great.
½ September 24, 2007
This movie has everything, including Nazis.
July 4, 2007
If we make it look like it's an Indiana Jones film, they might, just might be stupid enough to rent it out.....!!
deano
February 4, 2007
Average Aussie adventure that shares like Raiders of the Lost Ark.
February 2, 2007
4.5/10. Hokey Indiana Jones rip-off, yet another one, but the cast is fun. The special effects are particularly poor. Interesting plot idea is just not taken advantage of.