Skyfall - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Skyfall Reviews

½ May 30, 2017
The best Bond...fast, smart, exotic. Bardem's Silva is a powerful villain, the stakes are real and Bond is pushed to his limits. The script is smart, the characters are fully-realized, the action is the perfect amount of over-the-top, the nostalgia is not over-done, and the film does not disappoint.
May 30, 2017
Make no mistake when I say this is my favourite film of all time. It's a perfect balance of action, comedy, easter eggs and stunning visuals. Every shot is carefully considered along with the dialog. Put it this way, I saw it at the cinemas 3 times and have watched it at least 2 times every year since it's release.
½ May 28, 2017
A departure from past Bond films, in a very good way. Very exciting and intense. Most certainly the best looking Bond film, thanks to Roger Deakins.
May 28, 2017
Well...THIS was a welcome surprise. I miss the traditional Iris opening though.
½ May 24, 2017
For a franchise turning 50, Skyfall is a surprising and amazing acheivement. Too often in my last 20 years of film-going, have I gone to watch the latest 007 adventure, only to be somewhat disappointed by how the films rest on their laurels while subtly creating the illusion that they are moving with the times. This constant push and pull has resulted in some confused stories and occasionally (The World Is Not Enough, Casino Royale) I have not seen the latest installment until the DVD release down at Video Vision (a great little rental store which has now closed down). Daniel Craig's third Bond film however, was a different story and I walked away from the cinema feeling like I had seen something familiar but truly unique. A familiar theme in the Bond series when efforts are made to shake up the formula is the one where Bond goes AWOL and becomes a rogue agent, resigning or being told to hand over the Walter PPK. This plot device has been used in You Only Live Twice, OHMSS, Licence To Kill, Die Another Day, Casino Royale, and now Skyfall. What is different about this film though is the effort that has gone into making the most perfect Bond film that can be made in these times. Craig made an immediate impression in Casino Royale and the follow up but Skyfall is where he truly owns the role. His physical agility is only matched by his steely doggedness as the superspy. Skyfall is also one of the best looking Bond films with some stunning cinematography, cooly-lit scenes, and enough nostalgia to satisfy the purists. Some humour has returned as well, especially during Bond's exchanges with the villain Silva (Jarvier Bardem). Thankfully, the recurring MI5 characters Q and Moneypenny have returned too. Judi Dench again plays Bond's superior M and this is her most emotionally invested performance. Her scenes with Bond have an emotional quality rarely seen in Bond films. Skyfall does quote many scenes from classic Bond films but unlike Brosnan's Die Another Day, it never does this in an obvious, tacky way.This may be attributable to director Sam Mendes whose stylish touch has given us something we never thought we would see again- a Bond installment that is also a great film.
May 21, 2017
Thrilling and Intense.
May 16, 2017
An instant classic for Daniel Craig and Sam Mendes, an all out over the top seriously entertaining film for everyone!
May 16, 2017
An excellent finale for a series that's far from ending. Every scene is unique, with the film starting off focused around having flashy and visually eccentric action sequences and progressively becoming more personal and real as the story progresses. And the overall tone of is a perfect reflection of what Bond has become as a character. In "Casino Royal" he was just starting to dip his toes into the waters of espionage, and the film was fast and wild because of it. But here he's been swimming around for a long time, and his toes are incredibly pruned. The movie is hardly prune-ey, obviously. But there'sā?? a definite jaded edge to it. Maybe toes and water weren't the best analogy, but either way "Skyfall" is the perfect film to end Daniel Craig's run as Bond. There is another film that succeeds this one, and possibly some more after that if his contract doesn't expire. But it still feels like the end of an era. A very fitting final, not-final installment.
May 13, 2017
when I first watched it, it didn't look like a James bond movie.
May 4, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: 'Skyfall' is not only one of the most ambitious films of the decade, but amazingly, it's also one of the most succesful. Yes what Mendes decided to do with his first Bond movie was naturally something un-conventional, and the way in which all these cogs turn to create such an incredible and interesting experience is frankly unprecedented.

Now what he did so well of course was to build a set of narratives that challenge the audience to look deeper and decide for themselves where the good and bad really lies. When you do so, it's very much a film about the system and authorities, which only makes it all the more brilliant that Mendes constantly tries to get us to look beyond what we think we know to question the system - or in this case, question the Bond formula.

In other words then, Mendes is trying to teach us to question what we see, but in order for him to do that, there has to be a surface film for us to enjoy too, and Skyfall most definitely has that. Yes this film contains reams of great action sequences, beautiful cinematography from Roger Deakins, some brilliant humour and and many plot points that can be interpreted in which ever way you wish, and as a result it is a film that you can thoroughly engage with without looking too far into any of it at all.

With all that in place, Skyfall could have already been brilliantly intelligent and thoroughly enjoyable, but it's elevated even further by its emotional subplots that run through the whole film like a heartbeat; binding each side of the film together and creating something that not only makes sense with all interpretations of the story, but also emotionally engages you in it all as well. Now we know from countless experiences that it's very easy when discussing themes to forget about character and emotion, or to treat them as separate entities, but here the emotional sub-plot is very much a reaction to the themes themselves, and as a result, you can truly play them out through your head. The fact the plot is so interpretable though, also means these reactionary emotions equally make sense if you're following on top, and the way they come to their head at the end is truly heart-wrenching which ever way you look at it.

In many ways then, whilst Thomas Newman's excellent score is very much a reaction to all this, it probably serves as the most accurate embodiment of everything one can say for Skyfall. Sure, there's plenty of exciting moments on the surface, but underneath there's something rather unusual - a mysterious heartbeat that both represents a set of mysterious ideas that are only there if you look for them, or an emotional core that binds the whole film together. In other words; it's a beautiful masterpiece that does so much so well, and not only becomes the best Bond film of all time, but also one of the greatest films I've ever seen.

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: With so much for it to deal with, there's bound to be some niggles with the surface plot, but frankly that's not something you care about when you're so engaged with the themes and ideas. The only complaint thereafter is that the pacing is perhaps a little fast.

VERDICT: Comparing this to the other Bond films doesn't do it justice; I genuinely believe 'Skyfall' is one of the best and most ambitious movies ever made, and I absolutely, whole-heartedly adore it.
½ April 30, 2017
Worst choice for a double 0 ever. Too Arian, too German. Critics must be smoking crystal or dating Daniel Craig!
April 25, 2017
Possibly the best bond movie yet, I liked how they tied back to the vintage bond movies. Must see.
April 18, 2017
Skyfall was the success that people were waiting for, and thank God that it came and was good! One of 007s missions goes wrong putting MI6 in danger. 007 must help M (Judi Dench) and deal with Silva, (Javier Bardem) a man from M's past. Skyfall was an amazingly directed film. It was a relief to get this after we witnessed Quantum of Solace. We also witnessed the good that this film did to the genre. As this movie along with Casino Royale will most likely become classics in the future. The antagonist, Silva, was a very intimidating villan. One of the more realistic of the series, he had a proper entry to the story. He is brought together with compelling diolauge.
Over all, Skyfall is the second best Daniel Craig Bond film. a true example of the franchise. 5/5 stars
March 26, 2017
Best Bond movie to date!
½ March 23, 2017
I was happy to catch this one on opening day and just let it wash over me, a perfect blend of stylish art-house film and cheeky action that's a nice throwback to the classic films that were filled with gadgets and wisecracking. Plus it holds up on Blu-ray in a big bad way, equally gorgeous in the home environment and allows you to really pause and check out details in certain scenes.

Great stuff.

Recommended.
½ March 22, 2017
First James Bond movie I saw and definitely not the last.
March 16, 2017
The first time that I saw this movie I absolutely loved it! On a second viewing I still really liked it, but a few of the dry parts were made more apparent to me. I still think that this is one of the best Bond movies ever made though. I like these movies better when they are character driven.
March 9, 2017
Podgy points loose the attention but it does pretty well at getting it back .. Its a shame that in these bigger movies these days everything is telegraphed as coming all too obviously - it doesnt serve them well, at least here the premise of the movie isnt any cunning ploys, still ..
March 3, 2017
the best Craig Bond film, manages to be more engaging and entertaining than the equally excellent Casino Royale
March 2, 2017