Slacker - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Slacker Reviews

January 2, 2015
A film widely acclaimed to be the defining movie of the 90's similar to 'Taxi Driver' of the 70's. Slacker shows in many continuous sequences the life of "Slackers" who have trouble playing any real valuable part in society. The 'Slackers' vary from young to old, male and female and all forms possible.
There is no apparent storyline and I have to agree that you do manage to lose interest during a few of the not so interesting character studies. But some of the characters really do have some incredible and eye opening stories to tell. For example, the initial sequence acted by Linklater himself is one of the best sequences in the movie where he describes a dream he has during the journey on his way to the city.
Linklater has a special talent for writing which manages to stick with philosophical topics but yet not make the content dry. This along with his experienced knowledge in film history making himself an incredible director is shown clearly in his different, risky and extremely creative debut into feature films after 9 long years of learning films and making short films. Richard Linklater is a true inspiration and I'm sure will go down as one of the great geniuses in film history!
December 17, 2014
Slacker is the rare film that communicates eloquently only with thematic brilliance and conveys theatrics without a linear storyline or developing characters.
December 13, 2014
I think it's safe to say that 24 years is enough time to understand that Linklater is doing much more than philosophizing about would-be truths. He truly is a prophetic filmmaker.
½ December 10, 2014
This is a movie about a generation that I'm not a part of but I feel like I understand. Its about this people who had intentions of greatness, but never put those intentions into action. The thing is that Linklater approaches the subject in a way that's funny and likeable rather than being self-deprecating. Its a great movie.
November 14, 2014
Too funny. A lot of strange people, but just so hilarious to watch. I've never been to Austin, but it reminds me of Berkeley.
September 24, 2014
Takes some patience on the first watch, but a truly original film and surprisingly rewatchable. This is Richard Linklater's first film, and his first to work with his oft-revisited format of framing everything within 24 or so hours. As a roundabout rebuttal to the conformity and consumerism to the 80s, the film goes through a wide variety of characters living in Austin who are living lives fraught with pet obsessions, conspiracy theories, and generally bizarre behavior that effectively removes them from the status quo. This film had a huge impact on me when I was in my early teens and continues to inform my sensibilities to this day.
½ September 21, 2014
Capturing the strange spirit of Austin life communicated through the unfiltered ramblings of college kids, Richard Linklater's "Slacker" indicates the humanist philosophy, unbridled ambition, and focus on capturing the daily minutia of life that would define his filmography.
September 18, 2014
Linklater shows his flare for dialogue in his aimlessly plotted debut. Characters rant and talk about events, but it never feels forced or scripted. Even though the story isn't present, the themes and effort are enough to commend.
September 3, 2014
Dull and pretentious movie. Pointless unrelated stories stitched together. One or two of the stories are mildly interesting. However, the rest are incredibly dull, consisting mostly of people talking either about weird but dull stuff, pretentious philosophical things, inane conspiracy theories or boring domestic stuff.

I generally like character-driven dramas, but this was horrible. None of the characters are likeable. In fact, they're all incredibly loathsome. But hard to feel engaged in the movie if you hate ALL the characters...

Notable only for being Richard Linklater's second movie as director (and writer). Thankfully, he got better. A lot better. His next movie was Dazed and Confused...
August 31, 2014
Richard Linklater's groundbreaking cult classic may not be a movie for everybody. Not much happens in Slacker and it gets monotonous time to time, but its style and effort are admirable. Ideas discussed in the film are quite interesting. Slacker feels sort of a prequel to Linklater's 2001 masterpiece "Waking Life".
½ August 28, 2014
A film that consists of no plot, with different conversations with a bunch of different people. Nobody stays on screen for more than 5 minutes and after that you see someone else.... For some reason its very watchable maybe because of the talk of conspiracy throughout. Its mind blowing to think for such a small budget all those actors to be in it. Its an okay movie definitely not for everybody though
August 24, 2014
Sure, I'll go five stars. Mostly because it's a weird movie, and of course it's accurate, boring and influential.
½ August 13, 2014
This falls just short of being a really good film. The concept is really cool and interesting but at times it moves slow and feel like nothing is going. The majority of the dialogue was politics and probably the Linklater's view on everything but it was still a very interesting movie to watch.
July 27, 2014
In Richard Linklater's first feature film, there are clear moments of technical mishaps and set issues, however, with such an ambitious project most of that is forgivable for being his first film. There is no linear plot in this film, but it feels more like a relay race/hangout film, as one scene with characters seamlessly leads into another scene with new characters, and so on. "Slacker" is all about the lives of burnout teenagers as they live their lives after college. It was just very interesting to see how alike and how different some people are from each other. This film is brilliantly written, but that is what Richard Linklater's films are (character driven). Aside from some technical issues that may or may not take you out of the film, you should be able to really enjoy this film. It is a fantastic first attempt for director Richard Linklater, who Produced, Directed, Wrote, and appeared in this film. "Slacker" is great!
July 27, 2014
Rewatching Slacker after many years....brilliant and thought provoking.
July 23, 2014
Delightfully weird.
Strangely philosophical.
½ July 22, 2014
It is a film about nothing and a film about everything.
½ July 19, 2014
A collection of strange, fascinating people within the city of Austin, Texas. What do they have in common? Unemployment. This is Richard Linklater's first film and he knocks it out of the park. It feels like a portal into Linklater's subconscious, which to his credit, is a very entertaining one at that.
½ July 14, 2014
Great film. Plain and simple. This captures so well what we fear will be us without a life to live, but at the same time it's a slice out of every one of our lives. Being a huge fan of Linklater, I think this is one of his best and it continues to inspire me.
July 11, 2014
Linklater's debut film is stocked with incredible fascinating characters, and largely whimsical conversation. It's the type of movie that will and can only speak for those individuals who never felt truly 'at home'.