Slam Dunk Ernest - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Slam Dunk Ernest Reviews

January 7, 2016
I love Ernest, but this movie is the worst Ernest movie.
April 25, 2015
Well now he's finally got the sneakers to jump that shark.
November 22, 2014
Ernest proves that white men can jump in the slapstick comedy Slam Dunk Ernest. When Ernest joins a city league basketball team an angel gives him a pair of magical shoes that allows him to jump incredible distances and run at super speeds. Varney gives one of his better performances as Ernest, and makes him a likable and sympathetic character with a heart of gold. And, director John Cherry does a decent job at staying within the low-budget limitation of the film. Still, the plot is pretty formulaic and idiotic. Plus, the jokes are painfully obvious, delivered with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer to the face. Yet despite being extraordinarily stupid, there's a bit of fun to be had in Slam Dunk Ernest.
½ August 16, 2014
(First and only viewing - In my early twenties)
December 22, 2013
Crap.. Ernest isn't very "believable" as a basketball player.. Nice to see Kareem needed money!
½ January 22, 2013
Pretty much "Like Mike" long before that film. Alas, a bad outing for my beloved Ernest
December 7, 2012
Want to see it! Will have to take into account!
½ July 10, 2012
I actually thought this wasn't so funny, but instead, was a bit touching :)
½ April 25, 2012
worst Ernest movie EVER
½ April 6, 2012
Hilarious. RIP Jim Varney
½ November 13, 2011
Fun silly movie, good for kids!
August 28, 2011
I know Jim Varney had a tragic death and all, but these movies look stupid!
April 11, 2011
Even though I love every Ernest movie, there are a few things in this one that ticked me off. First, I think Ernest gets mistreated worse in this than in any other Ernest movie ever made. The Clean Sweep team didn't really want him to play and all Ernest wanted was to be a part of a team. They called him a 'Dumb Redneck' a few times, they mocked him, made fun of him and it made me want to shove that basketball so far up their butts, it would come out of their heads. Only when Ernest starts winning do they 'like' him until he starts becoming the star of the team. I kept thinking, "Shoot, Ernest, you can win for losing, can you?" Yes, the fame does go to Ernest's head a little bit and maybe that was because he was finally getting some attention. He recovers back to his Ernest self in the end and the story does have an important lesson to learn. Success doesn't fall into your lap. You have to work hard for it. And Ernest didn't really care about being a huge star, he just wanted to be included. He was warned not to misuse the shoes and when he did, things started messing up for him even worse. And he didn't want to turn Quincy against his father, Barry. Erma was such a gold digger, that she definitely didn't deserve to be with Ernest or even in the same room as Ernest and it was great to see him tell Erma and Zimmel to leave him alone because they weren't who he thought they were. I love this film but I just wished they didn't write the script where the team lays into Ernest like they did. I get downright maternal when it comes to Ernest and I feel the need to protect him from the bullies in this world. We miss you, Jim.
½ December 5, 2010
A really funny movie. It will make you smile.
½ October 15, 2010
Before Like Mike was conceived, we had this film. This film has some really funny moments and I happened to love the ending of this film. Not my favorite Ernest film, but it's still a very good one.
½ October 10, 2010
Ernest has his Rocky moment.
½ May 23, 2010
God and the Devil are at war and Ernest is caught in the middle... in a game of basketball... Ernest wears special shoes that make him an amazing basketball player... It's goofy and kinda stupid, but most of the Ernest movies are... I love it!
January 19, 2010
What!!! How did I not know about this!!!
October 5, 2009
why god is this a movie.
May 10, 2009