SLC Punk - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

SLC Punk Reviews

½ October 21, 2017
Not bad for a punk-inspired movie.
June 29, 2017
This is a fluther muckin mother lovin gosh darn good movie. I loved it as a kid, and I love it now, the movie has it's flaws, it drags on in some areas, it's completely dull in others, but for those moments they have they also have frickin great music, and fan freaking-tastic-moments
It has a mixed bag of actors, so you know how that goes, but they all seem to be trying their darndest.
I would personally suggest this one to everyone, but I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, so even though I'm giving it a three star, it my heart I'm giving it 6.
½ April 7, 2017
Gen X youth growing up in a big city/religious conservative state have few options but to rebel.
January 6, 2017
Talk about inspirational and mind blowing. Tear jerking and had turning, jaw dropping, the world of punk couldn't have been captured any better.
December 11, 2016
I Have never seen it but i was born and raised in Utah and not more the 45 mins away from salt lake this movie makes me smile as i know who stuck up most are in salt lake and that makes me want to see it
November 29, 2016
One of my favorite movies ever. Funny, Thrilling and Sad. A must see.
February 22, 2016
I LOVE this film. I can definitely relate to most of the stuff in it, and it all feels very real (including the characters, who remind me of some of my close friends). A great film
½ January 1, 2016
loved this movie. my gf showed it to me, it was one of her favorite movies in her teens. I thought it was great and one I will remember. awesome!
December 9, 2015
Cult classic for those it hits home to, tough love life lessons here, especially when it takes you in one direction only to completely 180 at the end too. Perfect movie for those nostalgic of their teenaged angst.
November 28, 2015
As a recovering Farmville addict, I can strongly empathize with the anti-establishmentarianistic and 12 step undertones of this modern rom-dram. Growing up as a punk rocker really drew me to this film. I was expecting some classic Boxcar Racer and Good Charlotte but instead got a hefty dose of crust punkorama under the guise of anti-Obama politico-societal revolt. Better luck next time, Disney.
November 16, 2015
A very underrated cult hit. Must watch
August 24, 2015
As soon as I found out about this film, I immediately wanted to see it, and when I finally did, I was as much surprised as I was satisfied and entertained. I knew I was in for something really unique when I saw the title, which used satirical LP covers as the opening credits. The film follows the life of two quintessential young punks living the life of an anarchist in a dilapidated apartment. It starts out as a really crazy comedy with what seems like a machine gun of jokes, but by the end it gradually morphs into a more serious film as the protagonist laments his position in life. The film's protagonist offers a uniquely punk perspective, and while I'm fairly certain that you won't necessarily agree with him, I must admire the sheer force of his conviction. The film itself is blatantly satirical of the punk subculture in both the humorous sense at the beginning, and in the more serious sense towards the end. This satirical representation of punks is reflected in the majority of the film's cast. Many of them are loud and aggressive, though they all have something that gives them depth (like "Heroin" Bob's ironic aversion to drugs). The performances were exaggerated yet realistic, and somehow, I find myself sympathizing with the main protagonist by the end of the film. A variety of punk/alternative rock songs, on top of being downright catchy, help add to the film's punk vibe. Ultimately, the film stands out as a terrifically satirical examination of what it means to be a punk, which, on a deeper level, is what the film lives and breathes.
½ August 5, 2015
I absolutely adored this film when I first discovered it back in the rental days, from Lillard's frenetic mannerisms to the strangely quirky characters of the punk rock scene that they inhabit, this was a funny, occasionally touching, sometimes vulgar picture of friends growing apart and maturing as well.

The film manages to strike a balance between the humorous beginnings and the rather sobering tone it takes in the latter half, deftly telling a story in out of order snippets that slowly build up your impressions of the characters.

Highly recommended.
July 8, 2015
My favorite movie of all time.
May 13, 2015
This movie really touched me in a personal way because Ive always been a punk and i've lost friends to drugs and so on,lillard had a great role in the film and puled it off surprisingly well it really is sad that he went on to act in some really awful movies but this movie has a pretty good message behind it and delivers it greatly.
½ March 30, 2015
Illuminating look into true punk culture during 1980/1990s. A favourite of Trish.
½ February 16, 2015
bad stereotyping :( not punk at all... kind of a kick in the ass to punk and real anarchists, because this is not what we believe in!
December 10, 2014
Incredible movie. SLC Punk is a clever combination of a punk comedy and a coming-of-age drama. The story is actually quite original, Merendino using his experiences living in Salt Lake to help with this film. The performances are all great, but the one that stands out amongst the rest is Lillard. He's not only a brilliant comedic actor, but he also shows his skills in dramatic acting, his narration being smart in how it combines his hardcore punk mentality and his questioning his place in society and the future. Overall, it's hilarious, stylish, insightful, and Lillard's tied best performance of his career.
August 18, 2014
Its a lifestyle, poser.
August 17, 2014
(First viewing - Spring 2007)