Sleep Dealer - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sleep Dealer Reviews

½ April 7, 2013
Cool idea with a poor poor story line. In the future borders have been blocked but outsourcing jobs has not. They use computer networks that jacks into your actual body to be put in a virtual world where every movement you make controls a robot or a drone etc etc. This movie fails to keep an interest with the lack of a solid plot and a very weak story line. Don't even waste your time.
½ March 26, 2013
It looks really good and its about the future and almost 1984-ish. I cant wait to see it.
March 24, 2013
eXistenZ meets a low budget Matrix. Interesting premise, but some of the acting talent was on the low end of the spectrum.
March 18, 2013
Obviously inspired by David Cronenberg. An acceptable afternoon of sci fi.
March 13, 2013
kinda cheesy, but an interesting concept,
January 19, 2013
I have seen very little Mexican cinema but if they are anything like this... I can honestly say I want to see more. This film makes the lofi approach to many things and makes them work in this dystopian world and while the CG isn't great, it seems to fit the look and feel of the film.
The subtext and politics involved throughout the story are the kinds of things that make a good scifi film great and while the ending leaves a bit to be desired, the journey along the way is well worth taking in.
Alex Rivera has put together a very solid first film and I look forward to seeing more from him in the future.
Highly recommended to all those looking for something a little different, edgy, entertaining, foreign, familiar, and/or fantastic. Sleep Dealer is something you're going to want to watch!
½ December 8, 2012
I was really bored throughout pretty much the whole movie. It's not the sci-fi channel original movie level graphics it's just the story and how it was told. Technically there was enough at stake i guess. This is one of those things that might have worked great as a book(not even sure it was a book) but i was really disappointed by the film. just seemed soulless. EDIT: After thinking it over, my real reason for being disappointed by this is probably my own fault. The social issues with drones and outsourcing jobs and treating Mexicans like shit are all totally relevant. The problem is that I judged the movie by it's cover. I thought the picture looked cool and that it had something to do with plugging into something to go to sleep, but sleep dealer is a total misnomer and it's hard not to be disappointed by the movie if you have built up any expectation of it based on the title and cover picture alone as I did.
November 26, 2012
Concepto interesante, desgraciadamente limitado por el presupuesto
November 17, 2012
Not so much thrill but more drama, and felt little slow sometimes with some minor flaws in the story. Other than that, the movie works pretty OK if you don't expect too much action.
November 4, 2012
I won't be watching this.
November 1, 2012
it looks somewhat interesting, cool plot
October 28, 2012
Concept was cool but lacked in everything else. The missile blowing up the dad was cool though.They should remake when they have more money and try to hash out the story a little more.

2009 Movies: 62
October 2, 2012
This seems interesting. I wouldn't mind seeing this one.
½ July 29, 2012
Companies have taken over. In a small village, companies have put a damn on river and charges people to use it. To protect the damn drone fighter planes patrol and kill anyone who interferes while killing people for public entertainment. Meanwhile in the cites, people are hard wiring themselves to directly interface with computers. This movie looked pretty cool. There is a merge of new technology in a world that looks like it was the 50s. Strangely, it works.

The hard wiring is interesting. It's called nodes, and you get drunk by hooking up to the nodes, have sex, write books, whatever. It's an interesting world they have created. There are factories full of people who are wired into the system controlling different systems and equipment around the world.
July 22, 2012
Well made indie dystopian William Gibson-esque movie from south of the border paints a dark and believable grim future.
July 15, 2012
Just loved this movie. for me it hit all the right nerves. Great on many levels.
½ July 10, 2012
Very interesting, like a dip into the future
½ June 5, 2012
cool little indie sci fi flick
June 3, 2012
It's coming sooner than you think
May 25, 2012
The Sleep Dealer does not venture uncharted territory, leaving little to remember of this independent film beyond it drawing far too closely from past sci-fi dramas.