The Sleeping Dictionary - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Sleeping Dictionary Reviews

March 14, 2012
Looks really good, and being ahuge fan of Jessica I'd love to see it!!
½ January 18, 2012
it is ok...sparks of funny moments, good if u r just zapping, not sure I'd buy it nor rent it...
January 4, 2012
It was a soul-stirring romance. Strongly recommended for the beautiful scenery and woman. Jessica Alba was really charming with mysterious smell in this movie. Sometimes we are going to change us but it turns out that we are changed. There is no absolute correct stand.
½ September 9, 2011
Then I'll tell them I'd rather have you than a country... or a language... or a history. -John Truscott, The Sleeping Dictionary

I love Alba and Dancy. Alba was amazing here. Her adaptation to the accent was pretty cool. It's quite unique from her usual roles. :)
August 22, 2011
this movie tell us obout how to do when sleeping and that why the titel is "sleeping dictionary". love it!
July 10, 2011
As críticas têm toda a razão, o argumento é muito ridículo e os diálogos não ajudam nada...
April 9, 2011
Incredibly an astonishing performance by Jessica Alba. She's a perfect cast for Selima ina beautiful love story.
½ April 3, 2011
donno what 2 say....
March 21, 2011
Need this for my DVD archive...
February 25, 2011
An average romance movie !
January 31, 2011
Jessica Alba as an Iban girl speaking the Iban language!
½ January 27, 2011
didnt start feeling this movie at all till the last 30 minutes or so.. and it turned out all right
½ January 11, 2011
It would feel like betraying my intellect to award it with 5 stars, but it would feel as betraying my heart to give it only 4. Visually astounding, actors did a great job and the plot was, well, romantic.

You may wonder why this film received a better rating from me than, say, "The Purple Rose of Cairo" - a movie that Woody Allen himself claims to be his best work. If you are on a verge of denouncing me for being stupid enough to fall for cheap sentiment, I kindly advise you to watch the 'Purple Rose' again and to think about its message.

Because it is not just that movies are able to magicly transport us far, far away. They can do something even more impressive - they materialise our beliefs. And I do believe. I do believe in a love at first sight, I do believe that love can triumph against all odds, I even do believe that people are capable of putting themselves aside for a romance of other people to flourish. There is stuff in life that you can't prove, but that is still worth believing in. This movie affirmed my belief that people can tear down barriers and make their dreams come true. I am grateful for that.

P. S. Seems like the great gift of eloquence (you are a bit impressed now, don't bother to deny it) bought me a way out once again. Otherwise I would have to plainly admit that I love this film inspite of its sentimental plot. Or, to be even more frank, because of its sentimental plot.

I am convinced (though one can never be absolutely sure) that we humans surpass animals not only on the intellectual level, but especially on the emotional level. We do things that are clearly against our material interest, or even against the "cause" of preservation of our genes. We can overcome the animal inside us. We are capable of loving other people more than ourselves. If this conviction makes me a sentimentalist, then so be it.
½ December 19, 2010
I'll chalk it up as another average Boy meets Girl story, set in colonial times ,in Malaysia. The scenery was good and all the cast members did an adequate job within the limited storyline. However I felt that this could've been done differently. (Just my opinion). John's was the weakest character and Cecil's was the strongest. Jessica Alba played Selima to perfection.
November 12, 2010
The sleeping dictionary
The living dictionary
Interesting right?
½ November 11, 2010
Jessica Alba hat mich positiv überrascht, denn sie spielt wirklich gut und emotional. Die Umgebung in der gedreht wurde, sieht grandios aus und alle Nebenrollen sind toll besetzt.
November 9, 2010
A wonderful moving with heart. My favorite aspect of the movie was the way Jessica Alba stood. Her posture. The way she moved with such confidence and danced with such allure.
½ November 3, 2010
Nice to look at.

But Jessica Alba as Bob Hoskins's daughter? Uh...no.
October 31, 2010