Sleepwalk With Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sleepwalk With Me Reviews

April 15, 2017
Special movie by a special dude.
February 21, 2017
Sleepwalk With Me is a great look at the truth of being a stand-up comedian while also using the story as a stand-up routine, which is genius. I'm not totally behind this cause I didn't laugh too much, but the jokes are funny and they are pretty genius. Just the damn movie changes its tune too damn much, maybe without it knowing.

"C+" is my final grade
½ December 19, 2016
Really like this guy
½ December 9, 2016
A warning about getting married? Is this a feel-good film? It is a neutral film.
December 6, 2016
A little underwhelming but it's a touching and funny film about love, life, and comedy.
November 8, 2016
I loved how Mike was able to take his pain and turn it into funny punch lines. Even though most of these events actually occurred, I can see why he chose to make it funny instead of being depressed about it.
October 8, 2016
Terrific relationship comedy/drama about an aspiring stand-up comedian, Mike Birbiglia plays Matt Pandamiglio, who can't decide if he wants to take the next step and marry his girlfriend or stay single and focus on his burgeoning stand-up career. He also has to contend with a rare sleep disorder that Birbiglia has in real life.
October 7, 2016
If you are a fan of stand-up comedy, you will love this. If you have suffered from a sleep disorder, you will relate to the main character's dilemma. And then there is the angst he experiences within his long term relationship. Movie makes you really feel, from both sides. I guess what wasn't resolved for me was how his girlfriend in particular came to see his use of his private life in his comedy act. But a movie that gets away with talk-to-camera as well as voice-over narration, neither of which I normally like, is a winner. It's the pathos.
September 3, 2016
I really enjoyed this funny and honest look at a relationship gone stale.
½ August 20, 2016
Sleepwalk with Me shows the sweet but sad story of a comedian struggle to make his life work as his career miraculously takes off. Birbiglia's performance makes this movie, and created the most likeable movie character I've ever witnessed.
½ August 19, 2016
Not many can speak from experience, but even just from an outside point of view, it's safe to say that stand-up comedy is a hard career to excel in. Without the right jokes and the right comedic timing, not to mention persistence and confidence, it's easy for any aspiring comic to be booed off stage and have any self-confidence destroyed in the process.

It's not a topic many stand-up comics seem to discuss, which makes Sleepwalk With Me that much more refreshing. The directorial debut of stand-up comic Mike Birbiglia, this semi-biographical film does a great job of discussing the hardships of stand-up comedy in a way that's both thruthful and earnest, and amusing and engaging. Birbiglia strikes just the right balance of emotional struggle and charm, mostly through a dry sense of humor, that makes his character all the more relatable. His character finds himself in an interesting situation throughout the film: his commitment issues with girlfriend Abby (Lauren Ambrose) make for great comedy material, but also continuously amplify the danger his sleepwalking bouts send him into. It's a solid dynamic that, for the most part, is handled quite nicely. Running at a lean 80 minutes, this charming indie flick is one of those movies that you can turn on in a whim and still get some enjoyment and emotional impact from, and stands as a solid directorial debut as well.
½ August 1, 2016
A solid film debut for standup Mike Birbiglia. I wouldn't say it's near the best of this type of stuff, but it's got some good performances and moments and I generally like Birbiglia's style. Hopefully, will be a stepping stone for bigger and greater things.
August 1, 2016
Mike Birbiglia is probably a better comedian than director but this enjoyable.
May 4, 2016
The best movie about stand-up comedy that I've seen. Heartfelt, sweet, and very funny.
February 24, 2016
The uncertainty and hesitance of Matt Pandamiglio the character, is only rivaled by the quiet, self-assured confidence of Mike Birbiglia the filmmaker.
February 22, 2016
Birbiglia crafts, like he does in his stand up, a poignant film about the inner demons of committed relationships and the simultaneous fear of dying alone, showcasing just the right amount of neurosis without being overbearing.
December 28, 2015
It's been a long time since I've truly adored and laughed so heartily at a film
December 7, 2015
Mike Birbiglia shuffles his feet right into your heart. The story is about what makes it so unique and hilarious: a man learning to be honest about his identity.
November 25, 2015
Mike Birbiglia's story is great and his style of telling it comes across perfectly. Really funny and is a good movie for those unfamiliar with the story.