Sleepwalk With Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sleepwalk With Me Reviews

December 27, 2013
Great film! Birbigs, you've done it again!
December 26, 2013
As an examination of relationships or following your dream, it feels overwhelmingly "been there, done that," but Mike Birbiglia has the imagination, charm, and comedic timing to make Sleepwalk with Me both funny and sincere.
*2.5/4*
November 29, 2013
Thoughtfully funny, a true comic without gimmicks, it made me laugh and cry at the same time. A gem!
½ November 19, 2013
A funny story of a man was figuratively sleepwalking through life
½ November 18, 2013
The story is told in such a creative and funny way you can't help but get caught up in Matt's journey. The themes in this film resonated on a personal level for me as well. Wonderful!
November 17, 2013
I hadn't seen much of Mike Birbiglia's material, but I still enjoyed Sleepwalk with me among its levels of comedy and drama.
½ November 15, 2013
An underdog of a film.
November 14, 2013
funny and interesting
October 20, 2013
Quirky, hipsterish, autobiographical diary of the struggles an up and coming comedian goes through, in this case Mike Birbiglia. Funny, but mostly sad, and very honest.
October 9, 2013
fun. a little anti climatic
½ October 3, 2013
Its a funny concept that didn't meet its potential but its an honest movie and I respect it for that.
½ September 29, 2013
Sleepwalk With Me is a 2012 comedy starring, written, and directed by stand up comedian Mike Birbiglia. Based in part on his own life experiences, an off-Broadway one-man show of the same name, as well as various bits from his past stand up material, Birbiglia's first foray into motion pictures is a pleasant surprise, which proves to be just as eccentrically charming as Birbiglia's stand up comedy. Produced and co-written by NPR's Ira Glass, Sleepwalk With Me is unsurprisingly about how we tell stories about our own lives, focusing on how we view ourselves in relation to our own actions, those affected by our actions, as well as any lasting after effects. For Birbiglia, his own story has to do with his attempts to escape a marriage which he feels impelled to undergo by his parents and extended family, seeking the release offered by stand up comedy to come clean about his own insecurities and personal failings. In the process, an oddball comedy ensues, filled to the brim with surreal dream sequences, repressed desires, and a dangerous bout of sleepwalking.

Following in the tradition of such comedian-turned-filmmakers as Louis C.K. and Larry David, Mike Birbiglia's film is a rough approximation of his actual personality, fictionalized to a certain extent through the use of another name. In the film, Mike Birbiglia becomes Matt Pandamigilo, and such famous comics as Marc Maron are rechristened with names like Marc Mulheren, which serves to lessen the otherwise immediate truthfulness of the story, turning the film into more of a fantastic anecdote than heartfelt apologetic. However, in contrast to such television shows as C.K.'s Louie or David's Curb Your Enthusiasm, Sleepwalk With Me also maintains much of the structuring and rhetoric employed in the stand up material from which much of the film's plot has been culled. Rather than acting as another form of artistic expression meant to express a viewpoint fundamentally different from what can be expressed through stand up comedy, Birbiglia's film is structured in the same style as Birbiglia's one-man shows. Thus, Sleepwalk With Me feels like a cinematic rendering of a stand up set, as opposed to the sitcom-level exaggerated oddball antics of David on Curb, or the existentially ridiculous wanderings of C.K. on Louie.

Nevertheless, the ways in which Birbiglia has transformed his stand up material almost directly, and at times verbatim, into the cinematic form often comes off as feeling redundant of what he has already said. Instead of offering some new insight into the events that transpire over the course of the film, Birbiglia rehashes old bits and gags without any of their previous luster and bite. While the performances from such comic greats as Carol Kane, playing Birbiglia's mother, or the stunning turn from Six Feet Under's Lauren Ambrose as a former girlfriend reinvigorate Birbiglia's story with a new vibrancy and set of voices, the underlying themes and points of argument remain the same. Instead of bringing new life to Birbiglia's material, Sleepwalk With Me seems to bury much of Birbiglia's better intentions under layers of overused theatrics and tired reminiscences. While the film is still a joy to watch and maintains a lot of the emotional honesty of Birbiglia's original material, it often feels stillborn, lacking the sort of motivation and purpose that permeates Birbiglia's stand up.

And yet, despite the inherent redundancy of Sleepwalk With Me's subject matter and plot, Mike Birbiglia's first feature film is still a solid comedy. The characters bump into each other in ways that are to be expected, they do silly, and often stupid, things to one another and themselves, and the ending is predictably uplifting, even if it doesn't end in a marriage. Fans of Birbiglia's stand up act will be sure to find a lot to enjoy, even if much of their enjoyment will rely chiefly in waiting for different one liners and plot points that they already know by heart. Sleepwalk With Me is a well made movie that examines the stand up comedian with a subtle intimacy, even if a more probing approach may have revealed a little more about the film's subject. All in all, Birbiglia and co-writer Ira Glass have made an incredibly charming indie film, even if its charm outstays its welcome at times.
September 29, 2013
For all my comedian friends, this is a must see.
September 26, 2013
Funny, wacky, and well written.
September 14, 2013
Mike Birbiglia is a comedic genius.
September 12, 2013
I'm a big indie movie-buff, so Mike Birbiglia's Sleepwalk with Me was on the top of my indie-watchlist.
Stand-up comic Mike Birbiglia makes his debut as actor-writer-producer-director in this Woody Allenesque fusion of relationship problems and self exploration. With the legacy of indie movies never getting above 7 rating on IMDB, Birbiglia's romantic comedy glimmers beyond all the conventional scrutiny.
Birbiglia stars as Matt Pandamiglio, a struggling unfunny standup comic, who is not sure about marrying his longtime girlfriend Abby while his sleepwalking disorder intensifies, piling up more mess in his life.

I'm fond of indie flicks, like Sleepwalk with Me, because of their protagonists. Mainly they are Average Joes that resemble the majority of audience. They are organic, fat, nervous, nerdy and vulnerable. Empathy is an automatic process if an Average Joe struggles throughout the movie.

The movie capitalizes in "Breaking the Fourth Wall", which is an intricate device to pull off. Annie Hall and Ferris Bueller's Day Off, till date are only two movies who have done this perfectly. And we find screenwriters unknowingly exploiting this device without any authority.

Sleepwalking has been in the movies since decades and comedy films have tried so hard to extract the physical humor from sleepwalking that it has somehow become a cliché. But Birbiglia turns his Sleepwalking Disorder (which he also suffers from in real life) into a unique and humorous sub-plot that it saves the movie from becoming one of those snotty pretentious romantic comedies. Moreover, the character's growth, from a bland comic to a more confessional one with his own voice, is certainly gratifying.

I think Birbiglia should've exploited the sleepwalking disorder a bit more as it would've infused more conflict in the script. The relationship with the girlfriend and the confusion whether "she is the one" or not has been tussled in so many romantic comedies that I was exhausted to see the same thing again in this movie.

The supporting cast is immensely colorful that they have their own attributes and quirks, which makes the movie even more engrossing. Like the dorky mother who innocently says, "Oh! I ordered the cake online" and an overprotective father who yells and says, "Why are you yelling?" Birbiglia has created characters who are not scene fillers but scene stealers.

The mockumentary style of the film and the blend of tones with equal amount of decent humor make Birbiglia's Sleepwalk with Me an imperfect but appreciable effort.
August 27, 2013
Awesome! Love Birbigs!!!
½ August 11, 2013
This is a good movie that is well written. The main character of Matt is really interesting and realistic. The movie is based on some of Mike Birbiglia's real life experiences and it does really seem authentic. I would definitely recommend this movie.
½ July 30, 2013
I want to laugh at how much his life sucked.