The Slender Thread - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Slender Thread Reviews

½ February 24, 2014
thois is director sydney pollack's film debut
½ August 27, 2013
Catch a screening of Slender Thread at Cinemapolis in downtown Ithaca on Thursday, September 12, 2013. After the film, members of the Crisisline staff will talk about work on a modern hot line.
December 27, 2010
In most critically acclaimed movies I hate, I at least see some of why they are acclaimed. This one, I cannot. It's silly all the way through and just stupid.

It was up for two Oscars for use of black and white. Whatever. Poitier is a college student working a suicide hotline when a woman calls. She's already taken pills and he and others try and trace the call to get her help. At really no point does she ever sound like a suicidal. She seems pretty happy with a flirty voice and even tells some jokes. Poitier goes back and forth between this caring and patient guy and an angry stranger. It's just not a believable performance. The script is so obviously made to be dramatic, but it's so far from realistic that I just hated it.

Even the ending is stupid. They find her in her room just minutes from death. A voice on the other end says they found her and she's still breathing. The people around Poitier celebrate, even lighting a cigar. Really? She's that close to death but merely finding her will bring her back to life? Medically stupid. And I guess we have to assume they save her even though there is no evidence to indicate such. Well I didn't. I think she dies and that's the only realistic part of this overrated movie.
September 3, 2010
Sounds like a stellar cast :)
March 9, 2010
It is amazing what Anne Bancroft can act so passionately with just her voice, it?s a sign of a really great actress. Sidney Poitier does a fine job, but this would have made a better short film, the subject matter gets mighty tiring after awhile. It's a little too melodramatic for my taste. The cinematography is quite good, and the score is really well done.
March 9, 2010
65/70. It is amazing what Anne Bancroft can act so passionately with just her voice, it's a sign of a really great actress. Sidney Poitier does a fine job, but this would have made a better short film, the subject matter gets mighty tiring after awhile. It's a little too melodramatic for my taste. The cinematography is quite good, and the score is really well done.
½ October 28, 2008
"The Slender Thread" is very thriller. Sidney Poitier & Anne Bancroft do very good in this movie even though they are not tograther. The movie keeps you on your edge. I like the clothes that Edith Head design for the movie especially for Anne Bancroft. The directer, Sydney Pollack, does good job making you wonder if the desperate woman is save right to the end of the movie. Break the thead and enjoyed the movie.
August 6, 2008
Fantastic drama film. Simple. Nothing over-the-top. I appreciated the editing (nonlinear) and the strong script. The dialogue was well written. Sidney Poitier's performance is captivating. Fantastic story.
½ June 12, 2008
O how I loved this movie.
June 4, 2008
I love Anne Bancroft. Sidney Poitier is also great to watch. However,this film is not to be used for training employees in a crisis center, I would think.
½ June 2, 2008
such a gripping movie with two great stars!
June 2, 2008
what a great performance from one of the best actors of the 20th century
i enjoyed this movie more than any of the new shit that i watched this whole year
March 27, 2008
Great psychological suspense. Poitier gives a masterful performance, and Bancroft's not far behind. Excellent.
March 25, 2008
Solid. Sidney Poitier always chose roles that were a bit different.. innovative in some way. Anne Bancroft was also very good. For a movie mostly about two people talking on the phone, they managed for a good amount of action and suspense involving other people.
January 5, 2008
one of the first Sidney Poitier movies I saw, and it left me wanting more.
December 28, 2007
average sidney poiter role, but pretty decent movie
September 18, 2007
This movie was pretty great, I'd say. I mean, maybe I'm crazy but it seems hard to believe that this kind of subject matter was in a movie at this time but maybe I'm out of the loop. Anyway, I liked it.
August 11, 2007
This was really good. Very intense! I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. It even got a tear out of me at the end because I was so relieved from all that build-up, haha.