Spawn of the Slithis - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Spawn of the Slithis Reviews

½ March 14, 2016
The first half hour started off pretty quickly, with a few deaths and even showing the monster right away (maybe too quick). It was moving along briskly, but then comes to a dead halt as the heroes investigate. It has quite a few bad movie moments that are a lot of fun, from bad slo-motion to one of the most hilariously over-the-top police chiefs I think I've ever seen on film. Seriously, I think the filmmakers got a local Shakespeare stage actor and cast him, as his twirled mustache and overacting is so out of place, even in a bad movie like this. I would almost say it was done on purpose and this movie was intentionally bad, but everything else takes itself so seriously. I wanted to like this movie, but it was a bit too dull.
December 4, 2015
A real stinker of a b-movie
½ September 21, 2013
I gave this one star for the monster outfit and the cute turtle race. Besides those two things this is a great movie to take a nap to....and that's not a good thing.
August 21, 2012
I love a 'so bad it's good' movie just as much as the next movie geek but, this 1978 "gem" is just all round bad. I had the misfortune of catching this in a theater back in '78 and let's just say it hasn't gotten any better with age and it's still so bad that 70s nostagia just doesn't help. The movie tells the story of a school teacher who (for whatever reason) is trying to solve the mystery of some animal mutilations and later human murders around a Venice California cove. The police think it's a serial killer or a cult and forensics can't seem to tell animal bites when they see them. He discovers that a leak from a nearby nuclear plant created an organic sludge called "Slithis" (never explained) which takes on characteristics of what it absorbs and it is now a humanoid fish monster craving food. From it's awful dialog to it's even worse delivery of that dialog (an actor playing a police chief seems to think he's playing a bad guy on a Sid and Marty Kroft show.), Slithis is mind numbingly bad. Half the films shots are in slow motion for no reason, including the opening scene of a fat kid playing frisbee, which means it's scant 80 minute running time would be less then an hour without them. The Slithis creature costume is okay but it looks like a pudgy Creature From The Black Lagoon and the human eyes are just too nice and blue to illicit fears. And as a horror film, fear is something this completely lacks. From the easily telegraphed attack scenes, where most of the carnage is off camera, to the tone , which goes from serious to oddly whimsical at times ( What kind of film where they trying to make?), Slithis can't generate any suspense or tension whatsoever. There is some blood but, with a PG rating, Slithis is rather tame and there are only a few attack sequences as the film is very talky for an 80 minute creature feature. An awful film that somehow has garnered a bit of a reputation but, after revisiting it, I can only guess it was from lack of availability as the film has very little to recommend even to fans of bad movies.
August 5, 2012
I know this is personal to each individual . . . but this movie personally exceeded my expectations. Save for a couple of 'interesting' performances (I would REALLY like for someone to explain the Sheriff lol) I actually thought this movie was overall well performed, well thought out, and just pretty damn good!
October 18, 2011
There are a few lines and scenes that kick ass. The rest is sort of pointless.
½ May 26, 2011
Interesting setting, fun guy-in-monster-suit action and lots of PG blood. This movie is probably not worth the rating I gave but its been a personal fave of mine since VHS days.
½ July 1, 2010
Slithis is the story a hulking fish monster that rises out of the nuclear waste-filled waters surrounding Venice, California. At first, it feeds off of random dogs here and there until it's hunger grows stronger and it eventually starts feeding off of random humans, who do not live to tell the tale of Slithis, thus causing a city-wide scare that intrigues journalism professor Wayne Connors (Alan Blanchard) who partners up with a scientist and sailor to take on the Slithis. Completely over-the-top and super-campy 70's creature feature that delivers lots of gore and even a renegade titty and STILL manages to get a PG rating. Ahh, the 70's, back when everyone had balls and not vaginas. How I miss those non-PC times. Oh well, back to the movie at hand. Sure, Slithis has aged quite extensively over the years and definitely features its fair share of gaping plot holes, but it's a fun slice of creature feature excitement pie that any and all horror enthusiasts should try a piece of. Laughably bad, but a lot of fun in the process. Good watch! This was written and directed by noted production manager Stephen Traxler whose looking to do a long-overdue sequel to the film. Here's hoping that happens.
October 15, 2009
Una basura sobre un monstruo que succiona el tuetano de los huesos de sus victimas. Las dos estrellas son debidas a que por alguna inexplicable razon, esta cinta le causo pesadillas por varias semanas a mi hermano cuando era un tierno infante..
½ October 12, 2008
Skräp när det är som absolut bäst, Amerikanarna gör det på ett annat sätt än Italienarna, men det här är omöjligt att inte gilla
½ August 10, 2008
A high school journalism teacher is bored with his job and starts investigating local murders. He quickly starts to suspect something strange and mutated with the help of his scientist friend who looks like some dude.
The lead is kind of blah, except when he's near bums.. then he throws in some creepy charm.
Full of great characters-the frisbee throwing kiddos, the bums, HY PYKE, and scientists! There is even this great scene where this smarmy guy is taking a sweet young thing home... He cracked me up every second; especially when he lit the candles around a portrait of himself (which inexplicatly turns into a drawing as he's being murdered).
Slithis is OK as a monster. He is able to do great mutilations by palming and slapping people.
½ May 15, 2008
Too slow and Boring.
½ May 12, 2008
Its a clieche, but its so bad its good.
½ December 20, 2007
Surely one of the last "man in a rubber monster suit" movies. Truly diabolical but great fun for cr*p film enthusiasts.
½ October 25, 2007
If people sucked as hard as this film, no one would leave home.
September 3, 2007
One of my favorite monster movies.