Sliver

100% Veep: Season 3

Sliver Reviews

Phil H

August 7, 2013
Ah yes, back in the early 90's Sharon Stone had the reputation of being Hollywood's dirty star, thanks to 'Basic Instinct' and this. At the time I was a young teen and Stone was notorious for her antics on film, we all talked about her, we all wanted to see her films, Stone was the pinnacle of naughty films we weren't allowed to see.

Apparently the film is based on a novel of the same name and I'm sure the book is much better than this film. Its basically a murder thriller in a tall apartment block. Stone has just moved in, there's a young stud on one floor who fancies her and a middle aged bloke on another who fancies her too. One of them killed the previous owner of Stone's flat (yes in the UK we say flat), choose between the paranoid loony or the enormous peeping tom.

I admit the film does well in hiding who committed the murder (and the other one during the film), you're never really sure which of the two chaps did it right up to the end. Tends to swing from moment to moment, one minute you think its Baldwin, the next its Berenger, nicely done I guess.

The thing is the whole film just feels like its capitalising on Stone's previous massive hit 'Basic Instinct'. If they had another female lead in that role I just don't think it would have attracted the same publicity. After all this was Stone's sex sequel, her second big sexual escapade and boy did they nail that home!. I mean the film is reasonably enjoyable but its merely one sex scene after another, once Stone's character meets Baldwin's creepy duck faced character it just becomes one sweaty sex sequence followed by some dialog, then another sweaty sex sequence etc...It does actually feel as though the director is simply giving you a breather from playing with yourself with some boring plot, until the next big tissue inducing sequence (its not that dirty by the way).

Gotta give it to Baldwin, he really does come across as a slimy creepy pervert that you know not to trust. Whether that was good acting or just the way he is I dunno. I quite liked the sub plot revolving around his electronic spying, you know its gonna play into the murder plot because he has cameras in every nook n cranny of this building, kinda obvious what will happen. Berenger is OK as this jealous oddball who breaks into peoples apartments all the time, a bit bland though, kinda plays it safe with his performance, nothing too special. A bit sickening watching both these guys trying to schmaltz their way into Stone's knickers, I wonder if the script is the same as the book?.

Stone moans, groans and exposes herself well throughout, nothing more, she does exactly what you expect and its pretty much all she can do. Really it just feels like a quickfire follow through after Stone hit the big time, its very simple in premise and hardly a thriller in any aspect if you ask me. Its not even that sexy really, I don't wanna see Baldwin's sweaty ass!. Some nice visuals though, a bit noir-ish I guess, soundtrack is a little haunting also, so not all bad. The films title suits the content perfectly, you really do feel like you need a shower after this sleazy affair.
Dean !

January 1, 2007
An ok raunchy thriller, not at the standard of Basic Instinct or Fatal Attraction though. There aren't that many twists or shocks in store, it's fairly predictable, although the ending felt rushed? Sharon Stone does what she does best.
TheGame90
TheGame90

October 6, 2011
This movie is just an attempt to get in on the succes of Basic Instinct. It's the same thing....without the talented filmmaking. It's watchable....But nothing more. I liked the ending though....But that's not what they planned...so I can't give them credit for it.
The Gandiman
The Gandiman

February 14, 2010
Rarely rises above "stupid" Exposed Esztherhas' lack of talent; Stone's inability to play vulnerable and Baldwin's lack of appeal.
Jason O

September 10, 2009
"Sliver" is somewhat effective in two different areas that it tries to be effective in. Sharon Stone is known to be in a lot of erotically effective movies. "Sliver" tries to be real effective both in the suspense department and in the eroticism department. Does it fulfill in these two departments? Yes, and no. Carly Norris (Sharon Stone) moves into a new building. Ironically, she moves into the exact room that a woman that looked a lot like her supposedly committed suicide in not long ago. Carly soon becomes attracted to and starts having an erotic relationship with the building's young owner, Zeke (William Baldwin). A successful writer, Jack (Tom Berenger) also has a crush on Carly, but Carly doesn't give in to his wants. Is Zeke the man that Carly has been waiting for or does he have a secret that she just doesn't know about yet? You'll have to watch the movie to find out.
"Sliver" is pretty much a half and half effort. It halfway fulfills its try to be a good erotic movie and it halfway fulfills its try to be a good suspense movie. If it would've had a 100% effort put in for it to be both a great erotic and suspense movie, it would've been one of the best movies ever made because it's easy to see that it had the potential. I should just give it 3 stars, but I thought most of the people in the movie, especially Sharon Stone and Tom Berenger, did a great job with their acting, so I give it 4 stars. I recommend anybody who likes suspense or erotic movies to watch or maybe even buy "Sliver." It is a good movie, it just isn't quite as great as it could've been. NOTE: That was my Amazon review from the year 2001. I don't care what anyone says, Sharon Stone had a cute butt.
Nani V

December 16, 2008
I remember seeing this as a little girl...bad movie for me, but, very sexy.
DragonEyeMorrison
DragonEyeMorrison

June 26, 2008
To think that back in those days Stone could be in any shitty film, and yet, you would see it just for her tits.
garyX
garyX

March 5, 2007
More trashy exploitation in the same vein as Basic Instinct and Fatal Attraction. Tasteless.
Michael G

December 31, 2006
Great comedy, bad drama.
deano
deano

October 16, 2006
More hotter and sex scenes for Sharon Stone after "Basic Instinct". But it was alright.
Angel G.
Angel G.

January 6, 2013
Sliver is an above-averge thriller, with a great cast, suspenseful moments, but doesn't pack enough memorable moments that should have had. Sharon Stone and Tom Berenger give interesting performances, on the other hand William Baldwin, who is a charming male lead, lacked to steal the show as the handsome hotel manager who tries desirably to be (or seduce) with Sharon Stone. It's a mix of eroticism and suspense thriller, which it does work on both departments, but it never gives full payoff and it really should have been a lot better. A nice ending, good performances, the suspense/eroticism and being a movie very well shot, might be enough to ignore it's silly script and it's lacked chemistry between Stone and Baldwin (although, it's a movie about a guy (Baldwin) who wants desire or pleasure from the woman (Stone), so technically there wasn't really suppose to be romantic chemistry).
xxdebxx
xxdebxx

February 13, 2010
Sharon Stone moves into a high rise New York apartment building, after getting divorced, but always feel like she is being watched but that's just the beginning of her nightmare. The previous tenant that lived in her room was murdered and Sharon looks very similar to the victim. Meanwhile she meets two men, Tom Berenger, who seems like the kind of guy who plays around a lot, and William Baldwin, who owns the place.
There are some pretty steamy sex scenes, and the movie deals with voyeurism as somebody is watching every tenant in the building with hidden cameras strategically placed in each room. Sliver is mildly entertaining but intriguing ideas can not compensate for a script full of holes.
Anastasia B

October 26, 2009
more crap...
Shane D

January 1, 2009
Does Sharon Stone serve any purpose other than being a walking pair of tits with no talent? Everyone involved with this "movie" should be banned from being anywhere near a camera.
gpizzaro
August 3, 2007
This is on my sexiest list as well...it has mystery, murder, and sexy written all over it. I love the spying as well.
DownBoy
June 29, 2007
was ok but, I think that sharon stone needs to find a new type of genre to star in. It tries to be a wannabe basic Isnstinct
markymrk83
April 28, 2007
Another bomb for Sharon Stone but in all honesty I love this movie. It makes you think as well as makes you wonder what's going on. It's an entertaining movie!!!
keilab
March 16, 2007
I watched this movie over and over. The way ot panned out 'til the end. Sharon's incredible. It will make you look at your neighbors and wonder.
November 19, 2006
This film put me to sleep. I think that Sharon Stone just picks scripts that have her character doing something "shocking" which applies to this film as well since her character pleasures herself in the bathtub. Even if your all perving on that idea...the rest of the movie would bore you.
tonynav
July 2, 2006
Yes it was cheesy but i mean. Sharon Stone getting naked with a then hot William Baldwin. And throw in some murder and voyerism. Fun fun.