The Slumber Party Massacre - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Slumber Party Massacre Reviews

½ February 25, 2017
A silly '80s slasher with enough T&A and laughs, intentional or not, to get you through the nonsensical story.
October 9, 2016
Playing with an overdose of silliness in pacing, performances, Edition and writing, this slasher flick falls in absurdity, which is why is no surprise it's considered a cult classic from the 80s.
July 29, 2016
Despite a deliberate effort to be a bit cheekier (both humor and buttocks) than other slashers, The Slumber Party Massacre comes complete with all the clichés, including indistinct characters, lacklustre story, and bare breasts.
July 13, 2016
This overlooked and underestimated slasher flick is a piece of ironic feminist commentary in disguise. The camera work is almost sarcastic, lingering over the teens' bottoms in the showers for an absurd amount of time, highlighting the absurdity of the teenage shower scene horror movie staple in the first place. The killer with his phallic murder weapon and creepy refrain of "You're so pretty" comments pretty overtly on the eroticisation of violence against women in slasher flicks. Wry, clever meta-horror.
July 12, 2016
80's sleaze... they just don't make them like this anymore. This is the perfect example of how 80's trash is made perfectly. Deserves to be up there with the greats of the 80's era.
January 24, 2016
Pretty entertaining little horror from 1982.
Independent and stylish for its time.
½ January 4, 2016
SLUMBER PARTY MASSACRE has long been a favorite of mine, and I was over the moon to see Amy Holden Jones, the director and uncredited re-writer, speak in person about making the picture and her place in the industry at Cinefamily recently. I have written a slasher myself and think this picture balances terror, violence, humor, and nudity perfectly. You're welcome to disagree, but I even lobby that this is better than HATCHET and other silly slashers that came later. Not that they're not good and entertaining, but SLUMBER PARTY deserves a place in the official cannon.

So why doesn't it have a place? While doing my research on slashers for THE BIG THREE ARE AFTER ME, this incredibly well done, extremely low budget Corman factory production is hardly mentioned. I'll add that my personal favorite slasher - MY BLOODY VALENTINE with the gore added back in (thanks, MPAA!) - is also not high on the list. Is it because the plots make sense and the characters aren't being idiots? Because the female characters have agency and the ability to fight back? Quite possibly, and SLUMBER PARTY MASSACRE is also based on a script by feminist Rita Mae Brown (who kept screenwriting credit) and directed by Amy Holden Jones. Obviously women. (Shhhh - there's sort of a feminist message in it. AVERT YOUR EYES)

Amy Holden Jones said that after this movie, which went around the world and apparently netted her zero residuals on the buckets of money it made for Corman's company, she was unable to get an agent, a manager, and, presumably, meetings. She talked Corman into funding her next writer/director project, an arty film called LOVE LETTERS with Jamie Lee Curtis. Let's just meditate for a moment on the fact that a woman with seemingly no love for slashers, who had not even seen HALLOWEEN, made a slasher that is not only great but is also respectful of the genre (boobs! blood!) and of the characters (brains!).

After LOVE LETTERS, Holden Jones directed two more movies, but she said that just slipped away eventually since she never had regular opportunities. She doesn't even think about directing now. Holden Jones has had a great career as a writer (MYSTIC PIZZA, BEETHOVEN, created the tv series BLACK BOX), and for this I'm glad. But how many great writer/directors have we missed out on because they're female, minority, or LGBT? We're silencing more than half of our cultural collateral, and this is just wrong.
November 16, 2015
For an 80's slasher this movie is great. Don't expect any real explanations from the killer as to why he is using a ridiculous drill to take out pretty college co-eds.

I was impressed by the decent female characters, something most horror movies lack. The male characters, however, were all pretty bad.
½ October 6, 2015
One of the better Halloween disciples. Slumber Party Massacre takes its cue directly from Carpenter's film, however it is decidedly more brash and gory. However it has its own ideas too and rather than simply ape what came before it, Slumber Party Massacre subverts the already established conventions of the slasher sub-genre. The blatant symbolism of the killers choice of weapon is perhaps the most overt product of the female writing/directing team. However there is feminist subtext is throughout, albeit with a wry sense of humour. SPM is undeniably rough around the edges but it can be viewed as something of a gem.
½ September 27, 2015
Typical early 80s slasher flick. But there is enough female nudity to keep me watching.
½ September 25, 2015
I do like the idea of the 18 year old girl having a slumber party. More movies should be based on this premise.
½ August 9, 2015
I am finally happy to cross this one off my list of slashers that I somehow missed, and would have to say that the first film in the series is definitely the strongest.

An escaped psycho stalks a group of girls having a (duh) slumber party, intermittently broken up by boys crashing the party.

Good stuff, well worth a rental if you have the chance.
February 11, 2015
"It takes a lot of love... to do what I do."
If you're taking about sitting through this movie, drill wielding maniac Russ Thorn, then yes, I fully agree.
½ January 3, 2015
I saw this movie over a decade ago and remember being pleasantly surprised. It was genuinely entertaining, despite low expectations. My recent revisit has made me question why I enjoyed it previously.

It's not the worst slasher, that's for sure. It goes for some humor, though the jokes fall flat and miss the mark in my opinion. There are some decent kills and okay suspense, though it's funny how so many people can get stuck in a house in the middle of a suburban neighborhood without getting away or finding help. Maybe that was part of the humor.

The girls are all attractive and have very lovely... assets. This was released by Roger Corman's studio, so that's to be expected. It has the blood, the nudity, and a fairly unique killer, but it's kind of forgettable. The ending is great, but there are long stretches where your patience may wear thin.
½ July 29, 2014
A surprisingly competent lesser known slasher movie which foreshadows the likes of scream.
½ July 12, 2014
It's actually pretty funny and toys with the conventions enough to be interesting.
May 25, 2014
awful film. Terrible acting, no though went into the story, another ten-a-penny slasher film. It's more redeeming feature was that it was very short.
May 23, 2014
The Slumber Party Massacre is painfully predictable and unoriginal. Nonetheless it spews enough comedic elements and gore to be an entertaining ride.
½ May 21, 2014
A not bad, but not great slasher from the eighties.Tries to push the genre a bit, which keeps it interesting.
March 28, 2014
The acting was decent in The Slumber Party Massacre. It had some good moments that make you jump or get surprised. The killer truly looks psycho in this one but he doesn't have have that presence like Jason or Michael Myers. It was still enjoyable...and the refrigerator scene was awesome!!