Slumdog Millionaire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Slumdog Millionaire Reviews

½ March 21, 2016
Simply a really good movie.
March 15, 2016
Gorgeous cinematography and editing, but terribly weak story. It's not that I'm against optimistic, uplifting movies, but there needs to be proper development and higher stakes than just "star-crossed love." Why does Salim suddenly let Latika go after remorselessly kidnapping her days ago? Where is his moral and fraternal turning point? What is the point of the frame story of the torturing producers? There is no pay off for that; it is merely a device to reveal Jamal's past. What is the consequence of the gangsters' cruelty to Latika? She isn't horribly disfigured or hurt. Would Jamal still love her if she is? Will their love still transcend such superficialities? I have a problem with destiny-driven plots. It's an easy cop-out. I really wanted to like this film because it's pretty much everyone's favorite movie ever, but I find it incredibly overrated.
March 14, 2016
BIT TORRENT THE MOIVE.
½ March 13, 2016
Despite Dev Patel's south London accent, it's a powerful film that wrenches all the emotional levers.
½ March 9, 2016
Permission to speak freely. 2008 was not an entirely memorable year for movies. "The Dark Knight" and "WALL-E" were really the only lasting films from that year, but something had to win Best Picture.
½ February 27, 2016
Fuel by amazing scenes and camera shots and a powerful story Slumdog Millionaire is a fantastic film that earns every praise it gets. Overall, for moviegoers and fans this is a film not to be miss.
½ January 24, 2016
Très touchant, à voir!??
January 16, 2016
Seriously, how can you NOT like this movie.
January 15, 2016
There wasn't a nought action in it
January 3, 2016
Sept 2008 at Varsity Theater during TIFF. Saw again at Arclight with Steph, Brooke and Beck.
½ December 31, 2015
Interesting but I don't see the hype
December 28, 2015
There are few films that can have such exhilarating emotional power, uplifting romance and dark social drama. Slumdog Millionaire is definitely one of them.
December 26, 2015
Great movie, great acting, great everything
½ December 16, 2015
wasnt as good as everyone said it was
November 29, 2015
Slumdog Millionaire was the best picture winner in 2009. It tells the story of Jamal Malik (Dev Patel) a contestant on the Indian version of Who Wants To Be a Millionaire?. He is one question away from the grand prize when he is arrested for cheating. He then explains to the police how his hard and complicated life gave him the answers and how it is all leading him to finding his destiny.

Things I Liked:

Dev Patel. Patel is a fantastic actor and his performance in this is proof of that. He carries himself with all this loss and pain and weight of someone who has grown up in hardship and has constantly been forced to fight for everything in his life. He holds his own, especially for being 18 when the movie was made.

The Structure. The way they set up the story and move from moment to moment is very interesting and unique.The movie has a trivia question happen, and then shows how Jamal knows the answer through a flashback. It really makes the movie much more interesting and helps focus on specific moments in Jamal's life.

Things I Didn't Like:

The Plot. The movie's plot is structured in such a way that it doesn't really get to fruition for a majority of the movie and it really ends with some very generic and uninteresting moments. And it feels forgettable even during the process of watching the movie. It's a fine and simple story but nothing special.

Overall:

Overall the movie is fine and interesting but it falls short of fantastic. It has a unique way of story telling and strong lead performance but it falls short of leaping off the screen and making a lasting impression. I found the movie good but not great and it is not one I am clamoring to go back and see again in the near future.
November 21, 2015
I finally saw this movie 7 years after it won best picture. I was in no rush because the Academy had, in my opinion, been picking either pretentious films that actors and directors like more than audiences do, or preachy movies that force-feed us some tenet of liberalism... not too interested, thanks. However, this movie was a pleasant surprise.

I loved the premise: the story of how a boy's difficult life provided him the knowledge he needed to answer the questions on a game show, and how no one could comprehend how an uneducated street kid could be so successful in such a game. In fact, the disbelief was so strong that the local police abduct and torture him to get him to confess and tell them how he "cheated". Instead they listen in amazement as he goes through each question telling them the events of his life that helped him come up with the correct answer. These stories detail the hardship and outright horror of being an orphan in the slums of India, or a slumdog as they're known locally. Most of them are heartbreaking, but all of them are interesting, and it is clever how they fall into place in the larger narrative of the game show questions.

However, it is not just the story of a kid who grew up with bad things happening to him and around him. It is also the story of real, hard-fought, time-tested love. How a young boy helped a young girl out of the rain, by letting her sleep in an outhouse with him and then loved her forever. It's a story of how a brother can save a life and ruin it at the same time. It is the story of failure and redemption, and a story of drive and purpose. It may be a bit melodramatic in places, and a bit too convenient in others, but it is definitely worth watching, and probably worthy of the Best Film Oscar it won.
½ October 24, 2015
Good film, but tonally inconsistent. B
October 15, 2015
One of my all-time favorites.
October 13, 2015
Intricate, intelligent, absorbing movie. Genuinely unique.
Robert B.
½ October 8, 2015
The film is both gritty and sentimental, with mass appeal. It is the type of film you can watch and then talk about in conversations with people that don't necessarily share your particular film tastes. While I don't rank it as an all-time great, it is still a solid movie and worth a view.