Slumdog Millionaire - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Slumdog Millionaire Reviews

September 29, 2015
A masterpiece, blending eastern and western cinema while telling a really beautiful story with a genius framing device. Fully earned it's oscar.
September 6, 2015
Had the pleasure of seeing this film for the first time this year after not caring to see it in its award-sweeping prime. I was left speechless, totally spellbound by its story of strength, love and perseverance. It oozed style from the very beginning, but Danny Boyle never let it overshadow the film's emotional core. Both charming and dark, in my opinion Slumdog Millionaire is a masterpiece.
September 1, 2015
Just saw this today. It was an amazing movie. Hope it wins the Oscar. It really captured India in its truest form. Two thumbs up!!!
August 31, 2015
directed wonderful . interesting story
August 23, 2015
Every question the host asks our protagonist brings back some painful, long-forgotten memory...which always just happens to cue him with the right answer for the game show. Really? From the beginning the movie's plausibility is hard to swallow, and it gets worse as nearly every unlikely thing that could happen in the protagonist's favor, does: he just happens to get a technical clue from a computer guy on the right time to call the shows admission hotline, his love interest just happens to be watching to notice him on TV, the girl just happens to remember to go back to her car to check her phone (just in time for her to answer a question for the protagonist on the show). Every fairy tale needs miracles. This films wants one too many.
½ August 22, 2015
Very good, but not great. It was predictable and Jamal's journey sounds a bit familiar. However, the specifics of Jamal's life and their involvement in the "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" game are compelling and creative. Overall I was very satisfied but Jamal's venture into running away with Latika is a bit formulaic and cliched.
August 19, 2015
Great acting, Amazing visuals, and a fantastic story make "Slumdog Millionaire" one of my favorite movies of all time. The movie blends romance and tension perfectly to produce a fully engaged movie.
August 18, 2015
Danny Boyle portrays Indian culture superficially often missing in so much bombast. Even the good cast does not sustain two hours of fime.
August 13, 2015
Great film with characters you can't help caring about and chemisty so brilliantly done you really feel involved throughout the whole film. Highly recommend.
July 26, 2015
Danny Boyle's direction added to the powerful script, acting and a clever edition makes Slumdog Millionaire one of the most compelling and emotional pieces of cinema to come out in the last few years
FiLmCrAzY
July 22, 2015
A exhausting thrill ride with relentless ups and downs. A sweet and dramatic movie that felt like something was missing?
July 19, 2015
Now this one is difficult one to comment upon after seeing what happened to poor Big B after one of the comments on his Blog which was not very charitable to the film and Big B did the unpardonable sin to comment on it. But my Blog has had less than a century of hits in its entire lifetime yet and I should not be able to raise a storm in a chai cup, even if I tried to.

So here I go with my take on the film which got 8 Oscars, a hundred + more Awards and had three Indians winning Oscars for a British film with an Indian Heart. I would have ruffled a million hearts by that opening statement itself about the the origin country.This one from Danny Boyle (Now this is a Director I dig!!) and he does portray the slums of Mumbai with more energy than a Salaam Mumbai though not equal pathos. It has the young kids giving mature performances all kudos the Director and you almost wished they didn't grow old (no offense Dev Patel!!). It has AR Rahman catching the spirit with the right strain of music and Jai Ho was like a typical Bollywood Item Number, as it was totally unnecessary had group dancers, absurd location and foottapping rhythm.

This film is not glorifying poverty and the miseries, but only portrays with an eerie impressionable edge to it which is sometimes uncomfortably close to the reality. The script is beautifully woven into a string on film, the sounds rock, editing so Boylish as seen in Trainspotting, 28 Days later etc and the ending so euphoric that it jolts you into celebration of the human spirit. The kids speaking in English in accents is a bit jarring and the so is the convenience of justifying a Slum boy knowing the Quiz questions. Anil Kapoor gives a good performance as he tries his best to undermine the protagonist with his condescending attitude. The Washroom scene is one of the highlights of the film. Amitabh and Shah Rukh must be ruing not answering Danny's calls for this role. Irrfan Khan who has now made a few International films plays the Inspector with the right pitch and Freida is good for the part she is handed. The narrative does past forward rewind but all in accordance to the requirements and not to confusion which Christopher Nolan so usually does to his audience. The film length is taut and crisp while the British topline crew works magic with the Indian bottom line cast.

Fox Searchlight marketed the film vigorously and the triumph of the human spirit in these times of recession was the clincher for the Juries worldwide at all the Awards from the BAFTAs, Screen Guild to the Oscars.

The film does deserve the attention it has garnered but its surely is not Rahman's best work and it's the Ensemble cast performance rather than one stellar performance which pushes this film to its heights. Jai Ho is the new Congress Poll Anthem, the kids are giving interviews while Sukhwinder is also giving them as to how he couldn't make it to the Oscars.

Danny wants to make another film in Mumbai hoping to hit paydirt once again as the 15 million dollar movie is close to grossing $300 million worldwide (almost as much as the Bollywood makes in one year!!).
July 14, 2015
An amazingly engrossing film.
½ July 10, 2015
A beautifully crafted story; truly a unique film.
½ July 6, 2015
This overrated piece of shit is probably one of the most embarrassing film ever. Everything was in those god damn questions! The kid could relate to every single questions he was asked on the show! This work is only done by the idiots on this world and Danny Boyle is one of them. Every one who likes this film is an idiot. I have seen way worse stuff then the stuff shown in this unrealistic shit. India is an awful place to film anything basically. I would find a random piece of rock more entertaining then this shit. This film is bad In every way.
July 6, 2015
The consistent back & forth technique make it almost impossible to get lost in the moment (or the many different moments) but the story in of itself is interesting and emotionally well structured.
June 11, 2015
This story was told in such an interesting and dramatic way, and being a lover of quiz shows I found the ending clever and tense. My favourite film of 2008. AAW 1001
June 9, 2015
I remember watching this in a writing class back in 2009. I kinda knew what the mood of the movie would be like. Think I even heard this thing from "Mind of Mencia" where the says "all 3rd world kids have in the world is being alive.". Wasn't until I saw this film it was sadly true but also made me appreciate what I have in the world. Basically it's about a Indian kid from the slums trying to win the million dollar prize on Indian version of Who Wants to be a Millionare. This movie was also made made by the same Director that did 28 Days Later, Danny Boyle, and it really shows.

It starts of with our hero Jamal's childhood all the way up to him being on the game show. I'm going to try not doing any spoilers since this is one of those movies that shouldn't be spoiled. Seeing Jamal and this brother go though all of this at such a young age shocked me and it still does. At the end it's pretty amazing and so true about good TV, movies, books, and even games maybe.

My friend Don also mentioned this was kinda based on the 2002 movie City of God when I bought Slumdog Millionare at a dollar store recently. Never really saw City of God probably because I was too young and it was an independent movie as well. Anyway Slumdog Millionare is a classic with all of the Indian music and locations as well. Even kinda mocks the Hindu caste system a little in the game show scenes, at least I think. I recomend watching it when you can. It'll make you appreciate what you have in the world.
½ May 31, 2015
slumdog millionaire
The movie is directed byDanny Boyle. He was write by Simon Beaufoy and produced by Christian Colson. It was released in 12nd November of 2008. The movie is a Adventure/romance movie. The character played by Dev Patel(Jamal Malik in the movie) is the heroe because we play his life in his memory.
The movie explain how Jamal rediscover Latika, his amorous when they are young. The movie unfold in the memory of Jamal, and how he left his slum : he win "who want be a millionaire". But he is torure by policem because : he come to one slum, he is stupid, he can't win 10 000 000 or he had cheat.
The movie is touching, because Latika and Jamal can't be together exept at the end.The cast is good because we feel sensation when we see they. The musics is sab, but the movie is sad, because he speak to the life of "slumdog". We are surprising to the number when Jamal and Latika are separate.
Salim is enigmatic and manipulative and monstrous because he separate Latika and Jamal two times, but at the end, he join they. He is imperfect but he woul'd like change. Jamal is enjoy despite his bad life. He is very generous.
They are 4 "world" in this movie (3 in the memory to Jamal) and we are confusing sometimes. The scrip is unique with a lot of flash-back.
It's a fantastic adventure who end good( for Latika and Jamal because Salim dead.)
I recomemendation this movie because we are in the head ton one "slumdog" who win the life,and his projet, but I don't very like the movie on the form.