Small Soldiers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Small Soldiers Reviews

March 10, 2016
A fun movie that I especially enjoyed as a teenager. The Gorgonites are a cool team of weirdos. (First viewing - Summer 1998 in theaters)
½ February 19, 2016
Fairly forgettable and cliche; nothing we haven't already seen many times. I tried to like it but it tripped and fell on it`s face. Weird.
February 7, 2016
In this movie toys com to life The commando elite vs the gorgon nights and Allen helps the gorgon nights out Tommy Lee Jones play is as major chip hazard he is good at his role and this movie is funny. My favorite line was when major chip hazard said we have Lost the battle you will not lose the war. I consider this movie to be an action movie with humor in it!! Give it a try
February 4, 2016
Too disturbing to really be a kid film, Small Soldier brings back childhood memory thanks to the Toy Story like storyline with an adult twist.
January 31, 2016
funny and a great movie.
½ January 28, 2016
I'd say it's a kinda,sorta guilty pleasure.
August 30, 2015
8/30/2015: Very disappointing. I liked the premise of the film, but the execution and direction of the fin was underwhelming.
½ July 26, 2015
Small Soldiers is one of those B movies which you would probably skip if you heard the premise of it. I revisited it today since it was on the Encore Action channel at the cabin I am staying in, and I can say there's a reason I did not remember much of this movie since watching it in my childhood.

So the premise is basically this: take Toy Story, mix it into a live action film, separate the toys into 2 rival gangs who fight each other, and finally, make the toys dumber and more aggressive than they were in Toy Story. Oh, and make it PG-13, because if there's any way to improve a movie with a premise which should be kid-marketed, it's by making that movie PG-13.

While the CGI is poor and the "action" of the film doesn't necessarily entertain me, Small Soldiers has some good thematic material, although it is somewhat typical of an action film of this nature. A good amount of the thematic material has to deal with not surrendering, fighting/violence is not the answer, and so forth. A good one that goes beyond the typical themes in action films is that a line is revisited: "Just because you can't see something doesn't mean it isn't there" or something along the lines of that.

The way they set up the premise for this film was pretty strange; two toy engineers came up with two different sets of toys - one alien, one a group of soldiers - and their boss had the great idea of making the two sets rivals. Then, the guy who created the soldiers ordered microprocessors for both sets of toys, which happened to be used by the military, which meant the toys became very dangerous once activated. They became a type of artificial intelligence, though one side character described it as being more like "actual intelligence." To avoid the entire nation being terrorized by the aggressive "commandos," the film conveniently made it so that one kid who worked at his dad's toy shop would be able to "test" these toys before their actual release. This kid is, of course, the main character of the film, and of course he got his own romantic subplot with a young Kirsten Dunst.

This film was a little bit of an upset in my opinion - they could have waited a few years until CGI was a bit better, they could have made this more kid-friendly which probably would have made it much more profitable, and the plot was somewhat sloppily put together. This film has a good aesthetic and passes for a good B movie, but it is not a film I would revisit often.
July 25, 2015
I love this movie when I was little, now not so much.
July 9, 2015
A rip off of Toy Story, I can tell you this..Fetish Movie
½ May 29, 2015
A carbon copy of Joe Dante's pervious work Gremlins but with action figures, Small soldiers is still decently amusing, but is far more tonally inconsistent than Gremlins.
May 18, 2015
Oh how I liked this premise and boy was I disappointed.
½ May 16, 2015
I'm a huge Joe Dante fan ("The Howling", "Innerspace", "Gremlins", "Matinee", etcâ¦) and think he is something of an unsung genius for creating entertaining films for people who love film. Though not one of his best, "Small Soldiers" is an enjoyable film that contains all sorts of movie buff in-jokes, from casting the members of Spinal Tap to voice the Gorgonites, who fight the The Commando Elite, who are voiced in part by all the living case members of "The Dirty Dozen" to referenced to "Patton" and to many of Dante's films as well. There are some really good supporting cast that includes Phil Hartman, David Cross, Ann Magnuson, Denis Leary, Rance Howard, Tommy Lee Jones, Bruce Dern, Frank Langella, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Christina Ricce and Dante regulars Dick Miller, Wendy Schaal and Robert Picardo. It's a pretty silly movie, but it's quite entertaining.
½ May 11, 2015
Another underrated gem in a career full of them by ever under-appreciated master filmmaker Joe Dante, he of Gremlins, Innerspace, The Burbs and Explorers to name but a few, in fact this is a sort of spiritual sequel to Gremlins, only with military microchipped toys terrorizing a small town instead. It's frequently inventive, loads of fun and has great effects plus the sly, lightly subversive and biting edge that Dante brings to his movies (this is a hugely anti military/anti-corporation movie that even rips into it's own Burger King promoted merchandising, biting the hand that feeds it as it were) It's also surprisingly violent and gleefully anarchic. A great film!
May 4, 2015
Cute and entertaining.
April 6, 2015
Stupid in nearly every sense of the word, yet bizarrely entertaining. While it does have some very distracting problems and some pacing issues, the goofiness in Joe Dante's direction and the effects make it a passable film with some entertainment value.
½ March 5, 2015
guilty pleasure for me
½ January 31, 2015
A crappy mixup of Gremlins and Toy Story from the guy who brought us Gremlins. Isn't equal to the sum of its individual influences and instead just feels like a retread with an attempted satire on the military and testosterone laden figures for kids.
½ January 1, 2015
Surprisingly exciting, logical, and even touching at times.
December 30, 2014
Small Soldiers on Netflix!!! Eff ya!