Small Soldiers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Small Soldiers Reviews

July 25, 2015
I love this movie when I was little, now not so much.
July 9, 2015
A rip off of Toy Story, I can tell you this..Fetish Movie
½ May 29, 2015
A carbon copy of Joe Dante's pervious work Gremlins but with action figures, Small soldiers is still decently amusing, but is far more tonally inconsistent than Gremlins.
May 18, 2015
Oh how I liked this premise and boy was I disappointed.
½ May 16, 2015
I'm a huge Joe Dante fan ("The Howling", "Innerspace", "Gremlins", "Matinee", etcâ¦) and think he is something of an unsung genius for creating entertaining films for people who love film. Though not one of his best, "Small Soldiers" is an enjoyable film that contains all sorts of movie buff in-jokes, from casting the members of Spinal Tap to voice the Gorgonites, who fight the The Commando Elite, who are voiced in part by all the living case members of "The Dirty Dozen" to referenced to "Patton" and to many of Dante's films as well. There are some really good supporting cast that includes Phil Hartman, David Cross, Ann Magnuson, Denis Leary, Rance Howard, Tommy Lee Jones, Bruce Dern, Frank Langella, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Christina Ricce and Dante regulars Dick Miller, Wendy Schaal and Robert Picardo. It's a pretty silly movie, but it's quite entertaining.
½ May 11, 2015
Another underrated gem in a career full of them by ever under-appreciated master filmmaker Joe Dante, he of Gremlins, Innerspace, The Burbs and Explorers to name but a few, in fact this is a sort of spiritual sequel to Gremlins, only with military microchipped toys terrorizing a small town instead. It's frequently inventive, loads of fun and has great effects plus the sly, lightly subversive and biting edge that Dante brings to his movies (this is a hugely anti military/anti-corporation movie that even rips into it's own Burger King promoted merchandising, biting the hand that feeds it as it were) It's also surprisingly violent and gleefully anarchic. A great film!
May 4, 2015
Cute and entertaining.
April 6, 2015
Stupid in nearly every sense of the word, yet bizarrely entertaining. While it does have some very distracting problems and some pacing issues, the goofiness in Joe Dante's direction and the effects make it a passable film with some entertainment value.
½ March 5, 2015
guilty pleasure for me
½ January 31, 2015
A crappy mixup of Gremlins and Toy Story from the guy who brought us Gremlins. Isn't equal to the sum of its individual influences and instead just feels like a retread with an attempted satire on the military and testosterone laden figures for kids.
½ January 1, 2015
Surprisingly exciting, logical, and even touching at times.
December 30, 2014
Small Soldiers on Netflix!!! Eff ya!
½ November 30, 2014
A charming albeit sometimes too violent children's film benefited by strong special effects and very solid performances from it's two young leads
November 29, 2014
Small soldiers, moderately sized laughs.
½ November 14, 2014
The reviews were mediocre but it's a Joe Dante film, which means you should see it anyhow and make up your own mind.
½ November 12, 2014
A fun movie with great F/X, but nowhere near Joe Dante's best work. 54/100
November 12, 2014
Strictly entertaining. A no brain movie after a stressful day.
November 2, 2014
If only because it inspired one of the best menu items ever to grace Burger King - the Rodeo Burger!
October 6, 2014
It's cheezy, and unrealistic in all the right ways.

Yet another example of how the 90s rocked.
September 26, 2014
When I saw the trailer, my mind was blown away! I want one of these suckers. Man, they can do a lot of damage. Loved when they almost killed the stupid young kid, haha! Lol and awesome! And cra- cra!