Small Time Crooks - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Small Time Crooks Reviews

December 20, 2017
A great movie from Allen. A beautiful tribute to the Italian classic I soliti ignoti.
October 31, 2017
Nice lil' Quirky Mystery from Woody.
½ October 27, 2017
#woodyallenretro Podcast Project

Good idea turned completely dry... the initial idea with a goofy heist takes a turn for the disappointing focusing on the desires of reaching socialite status for one character halfway to the end... what a waste - waste of good cast and initial idea and just falls flat and predictable by the very end, we didn't remember this being such a wash in the past but now this just doesn't stand up to allens other films, disappointed majorly
November 11, 2016
One of Woody's sloppier efforts. But, still, this slapstick comedy has glimmers of insane writing.

"What would you say if I told you that you were married to a very brilliant man?"

"I'd say I'd have to be a bigamist."
½ October 17, 2016
Not Woody's finest work (he concentrates on the flailing and stammering and forgets the jokes...actually that's a bit harsh, I had a few good laughs) but I'm always a sucker for movies that say "One Year Later" and suddenly everything's changed (I hadn't read anything about this movie since it came out) so that was pretty fun, even if he runs out of ideas in the second half and it slowly deflates and then ends with a shrug. I bumped the grade up a bit for Elaine May, as one should.
June 2, 2016
A great example of cultural capital in this off the wall stuff from Woody Allen. Loads of oneliners and gags. Ullman is fantastic.
April 7, 2016
Good old style comedy from Woody, only can be done like Woody if done by Woody.
April 6, 2016
A forgotten Allen flick or at least one that you don't hear much about.

A looser crook, now quite old is tired of his life situation. A wife that wants more glam gives him gentle nagging and fights all the time but with his new masterplan, things are going to change. They are planning on robbing a bank with a nice buqet of crook friends. Naturally, nothing turns out the way it should. It does take some very big turns, though.

Snappy, fun, smart and chaotic character-driven comedy with a great script. It has a very good first part as it builds up and great lines are all over the scenes. I miss more of the robbery planning and it feels a bit rushed. The last half is still taking many clever turns, but they are never as fun or interesting for me. Still a solid comedy - somewhere on the middle of my Woody-charts.

6.5 out of 10 cookies.
½ March 20, 2016
Allen has done lots of movies, some very funny, others simply forgettable. Small time Crooks falls in with the latter. There are some witty jokes but all considered is weak and predictable. A decent comedy, nothing more.
½ January 17, 2016
One of the handful recent Woody Allen's films which I feel like.
½ September 10, 2015
I thought Small Time Crooks was very interesting. It starts out rather madcap, with bungling inept criminals with a cookie shop as a front. They want to tunnel and rob a bank, but the movie keeps things different and constantly turns the plot into other directions. Elaine May is definitely the scene stealer, as are Michael Rapaport and Jon Lovitz. Despite it being a bit different than you'd think it would be, its still an enjoyable comedy caper.
September 6, 2015
yet another lost review
August 18, 2015
A lot weaker than Woody Allen's most well-known comedies, but it's abundant with the writer/director's slick humor.
August 2, 2015
Hilarious! Cookielicious Fun!
Small Time Crooks Gets an A-
May 22, 2015
I love Small Time Crooks! It's definitely one of Woody Allen's most underrated comedies. Him and Tracey Ullman's chemistry is DYNAMITE. A hilarious film about really stupid people.
April 18, 2015
Allen siempre sabe cómo hacer reír.
½ February 28, 2015
The first 30 minutes are hilarious, but after that it's quite boring.
½ February 20, 2015
Some jokes work and some don't.....a mixed bag which is exactly what Allen's post Annie Hall films have become.
November 12, 2014
½ October 31, 2014
A Woody Allen film actually worth watching. It's quirky and amusing, and Elaine May is hilarious. (First and only viewing - 10/13/2014)