Smash Up: The Story of a Woman Reviews

• Jan 04, 2018

I hadn't expected a tale with such poignancy, what a pleasant surprise. If you are familiar with the film "A Star is Born", you know the basic premise of this one. Only this is the one which might help those around such a lush understand the perceived anxieties which make the bottle so appealing. Average cinematography & audio, exceptional script, acting, & editing. A pleasure to watch Albert in yet another role, though he was a bit typecast for a few years.

• Dec 10, 2015

loved this. susan hayward is so believable, even in such a melodramatic piece.

loved this. susan hayward is so believable, even in such a melodramatic piece.

• Mar 07, 2015

Susan Hayward is quite good in this melodrama bout a would be nightclub singer who gives up her career to we a breakout radio star. Hayward has many trials and tribulations, mainly the consequences of alcoholism, but her performance is enough to carry the film. Eddie Albert is also quite good in a smarmy supporting role.

• Jul 10, 2013

For the Susan Hayward Fan in all of us......!!!

For the Susan Hayward Fan in all of us......!!!

• Feb 06, 2013

Susan Hayward received the first of her five Best Actress nominations for this melodrama (woman's picture) in which she plays a fallen woman.

• Sarah P Super Reviewer
    Apr 05, 2011

I thought Susan Hayward was excellent in this drama.

I thought Susan Hayward was excellent in this drama.

• Aug 24, 2009

Hayward is pretty good.

Hayward is pretty good.

• Apr 02, 2008

Susan always plays a great drunk! Love the fight scene with Martha.

Susan always plays a great drunk! Love the fight scene with Martha.

• Feb 25, 2008

Dramatic film dealing with alcoholism, as Hayward hits rock-bottom before she realizes how lucky she is. Not all the old films had easily won happy endings.

• Dec 06, 2007

Susan Hayward was great. Good film overall on the very real trials and tribulations of marriage... and for a 1940s film, not horrifically sexist either! ;)