Smokey and the Bandit - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Smokey and the Bandit Reviews

April 27, 2015
This movie is all kinds of fun. It's like a Roadrunner cartoon with every cop in Texas playing the Coyote. Jackie Gleason is the best. Towards the end he breaks character a little and just goes crazy with it. I'm guessing some of his scenes he improvised on the spot. Burt Reynolds doesn't have a lot going on, but that's a good thing. All you know is he's a legend and you want to help him get where he's got to go and flip some cop cars along the way. These guys are crazy. The CB radio banter is another highlight. I found Sally Field a little annoying, but she's very pretty so I wasn't complaining. She's joins Burt Reynolds because she's afraid of rejection so she rejects everything, like her wedding. It's really the story of one self-destructive person being lead by another self-destructive person. If the writers of the script were in a bad mood when they wrote the story this could have easily been a much darker movie. I'm glad the sun was shining that day because this movie is comedy gold.
½ March 16, 2015
I really wanted to like this movie more than I do. It's not that I dislike it ... I think it's very difficult to dislike. The leads are all very appealling and it's light and it's fun. I think it ends up being too light for me. It just kind of floated away from me and I remember very little of it just a few days later. It strikes me as the glossy Hollywood version of some grittier, better films that are just a bit more substantial. This film single-handedly created 1980s Burt Reynolds ... I prefer 1970s Burt all thoings considered.
February 7, 2015
This is a funny movie for a Saturday afternoon that just makes you feel good.
½ February 6, 2015
The classic original is the best of 3 and has memorable crashes and one-liners. Never a dull moment.
February 6, 2015
hilarious for multiple generations. I think this movie may last forever.
January 4, 2015
I dont know what it is but there's something weirdly likeable about this film. The premise is terrible and there's like 10 pages of dialogue but it's so cartoonish and enthusiastic it's hard not to enjoy. I dig the music too.
October 3, 2014
This is THE redneck drivin' fantasy of all time, darn tootin..
Adventurous, engaging, silly, guffaw-worthy at times - especially Jackie Gleason's ever bigger take as a "Ralph Kramden from Texas" doofus ignoramus with his usual brilliant comic timing and slyly hilarious quips.
A perfect match for Burt Reynolds quick witted, fun-loving redneck with a heart.
Low budget all the way, this surprise hit helped put cb slang on the map, and made it cool - a snapshot of 70s rough-n-tumble, good-ol'-boy pop culture.
The edited tv version made this movie even more accessible to adults and children alike.
A great memory of mine.
Only the 80's tv show Dukes of Hazzard seemed able to carry some of the magic from this film.
The other sequels and spin offs never quite got off the ground.
No matter - the enthusiasm and sheer joyful fun here is still infectious and not to be missed, including the handlebar mustache, flair leg jeans and all the YeeHaws you can stand.
10-4 good buddy.

4 out of 5 Boy Howdys
September 19, 2014
Jackie Gleason was definitely at his funniest in this series of movies. Jerry Reed was enjoyable in his role of Snowman and definitely helped make the Trans-Am a popular car with teens and men alike.
August 11, 2014
(First viewing - Late teen years)
July 27, 2014
a light fun action movie
July 22, 2014
One of my all time favourite comedies, this one brings me to tears every time
July 16, 2014
The best summer comedy ever
June 27, 2014
What this film lacks in plot and character development, it more than makes up for in just how much fun this movie is. It knows what it is and runs with it. Many plot conveniences, but this simply charming outlaw is impossible to hate.
½ June 25, 2014
I loved it When that Black with Gold 6.6 Litre, T-top Pontiac Trans Am rolls out..
Jackie Gleason was a funny sumbitch
June 7, 2014
The quintessential car guy's movie. It still makes me want to buy a black 77 Trans-Am.
June 2, 2014
This is old-fashion fun at one of its finest.
June 1, 2014
"Smokey and the Bandit" is one of those fun movies that you can easily watch over and over again without ever getting tired. It's a movie to relax with a movie to party with, and a movie to just simply laugh with. I had a blast watching "Smokey and the Bandit," and for any country music fans out there, the soundtrack to this film is just awesome. As a man known as the Bandit is asked to import 400 cases of Coors Light Beer, the county sheriff is on a high speed chase for almost 900 miles to take him and his partner down. It is a hilarious film filled with jokes and surprisingly a few emotional/touching moments. I really really liked this film!
May 29, 2014
Incredibly simplistic in concept yet hugely entertaining in execution; "Smokey and The Bandit" succeeds in proving that a film doesn't always need complex characters or deep plots to garner results, in this case, a great cast and furiously, fun pace more than suffice.
½ May 21, 2014
just a fun a silly cop chase movie, puts a smile on your face
April 28, 2014
In this zany picture, Cleatus Snow (late talent Jerry Reed) and Our bandit (Reynolds) take the viewer on a cross country race of fun;Sally Field plays the fiancee of Sheriff Buford T. Justice's (Gleason) son.When she jilts the groom at the wedding,she hitches up with our playboy "Bandit" and sends the viewer on a high riot of fun.