Smokin' Aces 2: Assassin's Ball - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Smokin' Aces 2: Assassin's Ball Reviews

January 1, 2015
This sequel has nothing to do with the first movie if i remember that one correctly. The storyline is on the other hand quite similar and its basically about a few hitmen trying to assassin an FBI desk jockey (Tom Berenger)which has got plenty of security. Plenty of action scenes but in a rather low budget feeling compared to the first movie. Still it does the job in the end for this genre.
½ December 9, 2014
Here's a severely confused prequel that believes the major draw for the original film was the action. This film lacks the well-written albeit overly eccentric dialogue, and energy of the original, but it has two bright spots: Michael Parks and Vinnie Jones.
November 10, 2014
the first movie is SEVERAL times better, but I did love the jazz club shootout at the end of this one, it was freakin epic
October 26, 2014
As bad as you would think. A poor man's Guy Ritchie. Unnecessarily offensive and political. Baldy written, acted and directed. The film is slightly redeemed by Vinnie Jones' bizarre romantic moments, scenes that have to be seen to be believed.
October 13, 2014
Moins bon que le 1e, mais ... on reste quand même avec beaucoup d'inattendu, surtout pour la fin.

J'aime le fait qu'on revoit les mêmes personnages que dans le premier, pour ceux qui ne sont pas mort bien sur! Et malgr (C) cela, il n'est pas n (C)cessaire d'avoir vu le premier pour comprendre et appr (C)cier ;)

Une location si vous voulez de l'action.
July 11, 2014
Se regarde mais c'est tout.
July 3, 2014
Despite a good soundtrack, smokin aces 2 is a cheap rehash that lacked the fun of the original film.
½ June 18, 2014
It never needed a sequel this piece of sh#t almost ruins the original it's a cash scam film
½ August 11, 2013
Smokin' Aces 2: Assassins' Ball -- technically a prequel to the original Aces film -- is a lot like its predecessor in terms of plot and style. It's a heavily stylized action film in which everyone is fighting to kill or protect a single individual. This time around, it's an FBI veteran named Walter Weed (Tom Berenger), which means that a working title for this film was probably "Smokin' Weed," which would have been infinitely funnier but wouldn't have the brand recognition, I suppose.

Assassins' Ball is a fitting title, too, considering what eventually happens. Essentially, a bunch of assassins have been given a target, Weed, and a time frame in which to perform the kill -- an arbitrary time of 3AM on April 19th, for whatever that's worth to you. The government wants to protect their agent, obviously, so they put him down in a bunker so well protected that it would take idiocy on the part of the agents for it to be penetrated. I think you can see where this is going. The assassins have to fight through each other and the FBI agents in order to try to collect their bounty.

Apart from the FBI being the protective bodies, you could be forgiven for thinking that this is the same storyline as the first Smokin' Aces, because it pretty much is. This is a prequel, though, meaning that any characters who appear in the original film have to live through this one. That takes away some of the fun, I think; when the action scenes come, you know that a couple of these people can't die.

Anyway, it's not like it really matters, as the characters that appear in Smokin' Aces don't play terribly major roles in this one. Or, perhaps it was just that I didn't remember many of the people in the first film, because it was overloaded with too many characters who ultimately didn't matter. The ones in this film are a lot like that, too, but because there aren't nearly as many, at least you can keep track of all of them. They all have a central gimmick that pretty much defines their personality, and that's about all that matters.

We don't spend as much time with the characters this time around, which is to the film's benefit and the director's credit. Most of them will eventually be killed anyway, and it's not like we're supposed to root for the assassins -- the film does make it clear that our protagonists are Weed and the man tasked with protecting him, Special Agent Zane Baker (Clayne Crawford) -- so do we really need more than a stereotype? In this film, I think that answer is an emphatic "no." It works to have caricatures ... and not spend a great deal of time with them, which would reveal just how shallow they are.

It's easy to see how low the budget is for this movie. The explosions in particular look incredibly cheap. It's as if they took a circa-2000 stock effect and threw it in whenever an explosion was desired. That, and a noticeable and also really poorly executed Natural Born Killers tribute -- especially because nothing is done with this after it happens and there's barely a connection between the characters used in the tribute and Oliver Stone's movie. Maybe it was subtly trying to tell us something about them, but it doesn't register.

There definitely are some fun action scenes, and that's what you're here for, right? A large budget has been replaced by excessive amounts of gore. Seriously, this is a surprisingly bloody movie. You see a guy get shot, and you think "well, that was a bloodless shot," and then we see the wall behind him and pretty much all of the blood in his body is splattered on the wall.

Did I enjoy Assassins' Ball more than the first Smokin' Aces? A part of me thinks that I did. It's a slightly shorter, more heavily stylized version of the same movie, but with fewer meaningless characters and a more simplified, less convoluted plot. Sure, it doesn't have the same big names -- although its cast, which I'll get to shortly, does contain names most will recognize -- and the ending is significantly worse, but it is, at worst, on the same level as the original, if not slightly better.

The cast might not have the same A-list stars that were in the original film, but you're sure to recognize some of these names, especially if you have seen more than a few direct-to-video films in your lifetime. Vinnie Jones, Autumn Reeser and Michael Parks are probably some of the most well-known names of the cast, while Tom Berenger and Clayne Crawford have their own fanbase. Tommy Flanagan is the most important returning name here. The cast is fine and play their stereotypical and gimmicky roles well. They also seem to have a lot of fun, which is always nice to see.

Smokin' Aces 2: Assassins' Ball is no worse than the original, and if I'm speaking honestly, I had a bit more fun with it than its predecessor. Sure, it's a lower budget retelling of the same basic story, but it's done with style -- sometimes too much -- and trims much of the unnecessary fat that filled the first installment. This one is for fans of the original who are looking for more of the same, and also the one that you should watch first if you're getting into the series. It's a prequel that works best if you see it before the original.
½ July 28, 2013
Very much more-of-the-same, though pretty much unconnected to anything or anybody in the original.
May 15, 2013
didn't think it would live up to the 1st but it did good film
½ April 24, 2013
quite ok movie.. just too much mess in it... too unclear..
March 3, 2013
the all time badiest movie ever highly recommend it
February 20, 2013
This is nuts. I can't believe this exists. Pretty mind-blowingly bad.
January 17, 2013
Having found the first Smokin Aces film entertaining I knew off the bat not to take it seriously as this movie definitely doesn't take itself seriously. This was a straight up no broad plot highly unrealistic shoot em up fest with a few twist formulas to get the job done.

The two best formulas are A. the ending, and I mean that sincerely, I loved how it wanted to go all Bourne/Mission Impossible and then the twist-loved it!

B. the highlight of the movie-EXPLODING MIDGET CLOWNS SHOT FROM A CIRCUS CANNON!! Any film with midget clown homicide bombers -not suicide but homicide, as it definitely wasn't voluntary; is A-ok in my book. And tell me you don't giggle when he picks up the bloody clown nose.

This is a rainy/snowy day movie to accompany the original so break out the popcorn and drinks and just have fun.
½ January 5, 2013
Rubbish, not even worth commenting further.
December 31, 2012
Bit odd mix match of characters set the scene for the inevitable gun battle in the end.
December 26, 2012
Not bad action packed crazy as hell
December 20, 2012
Don't bother, really. It doesn't have anything to the with Smokin' Aces, not even remotely and even if you think of it as an independent movie, it sucks. Boring and clich.
½ December 5, 2012
Straight to DVD sequel is a pretty decent film with nothing ever remarkable that happens on-screen. The idea is good, but it lacks the fun and intensity of the first Smokin' Aces, which was not a perfect film, but managed to overcome its flaws with a good cast, effective dialogue and well developed characters. At times, there's still elements of sharp, witty overtones from the first that comes out over in this sequel. As far as I'm concerned, the film would have been much better if the film would have had a few rewrites and it would have been under a different title. As it is, Smokin' Aces didn't need a sequel and it's a low-budget affair that never does take off. The film is a decent on e at best and there are a few effective moments to please action buffs, but overall, this is a forgettable sequel to a good film. This one had potential of being something very good and if the script would never have been rushed, and it feels like it has, this one could have been just as much fun as the original. Decent, but ultimately forgettable in the long run, Smokin' Aces 2 is a film that relied on an interesting undeveloped concept. This is one worth seeing at least once just to kill an hour and a half of your time if you have nothing else better to do. Fans may be disappointed with this one, and with good reason. The material for a great follow-up is here, but it focuses more on the fact that it's a low-budget, straight to DVD film that the filmmakers seem to not give the chance of a good story to be told. Decent, and it could have been much better, but as far as Straight to DVD films are concerned, this is much better than most.