The Snake Pit Reviews

• Feb 05, 2019

one of the best films from that decade to come out in my opinion amazing acting story and altogether just a well put together film

• Aug 24, 2018

The Snake Pit is at times a bit too simplified, but mostly a realistic, sophisticated and groundbreaking movie when it comes to its subject of mental health. It's a dramatic and highly difficult to watch, but necessary and important look at 40s mental asylums with strong direction, script, pacing and a phenomenal score and cinematography. The standout is of course reliably amazing Olivia de Havilland who owns her immensely difficult role and gives what might be her career-best performance.

• Jul 07, 2018

A great early movie about mental health and institutions. Very thought-provoking. The topics it deals with, such as childhood trauma and how to care for patients, are still and will always be relevant.

• Jessica S Super Reviewer
    Oct 12, 2016

I watched this movie in health class when I was 15 and it disturbed me so much it has made my list of movies that have given me ongoing nightmares. This movie is a little to real for the time, mental illness was seen as a made up sickness and medical professionals did not have the tools to appropriately treat these illnesses. A must see for those in the mental health field and anyone who liked Girl,Interrupted.

• Oct 18, 2015

Groundbreaking in its scope at the time, brilliant in its clarity, compassion and approach to a taboo and unspoken subject for the 1940s and 50s, this landmark film catapulted Olivia Dehavilland above her previous roles and gave a voice to the institutionalized and therefore voiceless. It holds up well for the many things it offers, including having a sense of humor and overt kindness towards those with mental illness. It's a classic film, and altho it's a subject done with much more sophistication and nuance in later movies, Snake Pit is the gold standard for it's time. Enjoy it for all that it is. 5 Sweet Georgia Browns out of 5

• Nov 15, 2014

Her role as Virginia Cunningham, Olivia de Havilland shows us an astounding performance in a topic before her time. Directly handling the topic of mental health, based in an asylum, Virginia copes with problems having troubles with abuse and a couple mental illnesses. It's very different seeing a glamorous, silver star in sack-like attire and messy hair.She has a one of a kind, very different role than a film with, say, Errol Flynn, and I think it's great. One of my favourite Livvie films. I highly appreciate the effort she put into The Snake Pit having studied mental heath and treatments before filming. The Snake Pit also gives us an insight on how mental health was dealt with in the 40's. Unfortunately, The Snake Pit isn't as known as it should be, only winning 1 Oscar for best sound recording. It held my interest and was a fine film. A well done job by Anatole Litvak and everyone else involved. Her independent performance in The Snake Pit should be, in my opinion, more renown as she plays a brilliant part in a overall, great movie which deals with how mental illnesses were treated back then.

• May 19, 2014

Olivia de Havilland's great performance is the introduction to Freudian psychoanalysis on film screen.

John B Super Reviewer
    Mar 26, 2014

De Havilland is fantastic but the film falls a wee bit short in terms of really getting into the mental health issue. Nonetheless it is tremendously entertaining and I'm sure it was enlightening for the time.

• Mar 20, 2014

Olivia de Havilland totally nailed it

Olivia de Havilland totally nailed it

• Nov 02, 2013

Olivia de Havilland is utterly convincing as Virginia, a young woman who has unresolved emotional issues that lead to her being admitted to a state mental health facility. While the ending is overly sentimental, this is a powerful and sometimes harrowing film that explores the emphasis society places on conforming to a set behaviour pattern in order to establish normality.