Snow White - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Snow White Reviews

September 22, 2016
A beautifully restored tinted print of this film survives which gives us great insight to how the immortal 1937 version was conceived.

I believe Walt Disney saw this film when he was 17-18 & it had a last impression on him. Well Shot & Well Made for its time & was largely based on the hit Broadway Play Snow White & the Seven Dwarves.

There was a fun/light feel to this adaption & is great to see Margaret Clarke who played Snow White bring a lot of charm to the role.
December 18, 2008
classic movie love it!!
July 2, 2008
The 1916 film of "Snow White" is a screen adaptation of the 1912 Broadway play, written by Jessie Braham White. It tells the familiar tale of the "Stepmother from Hell" and the princess with "skin as white as snow, lips as red as blood and hair as black as night". It was thought to have been lost, until the George Eastman House located a print in a Danish film vault.....and the film world is so lucky they did!

Marguerite Clark recreates her Broadway role as "Snow White", and must have been born to play this faerie tale heroine!!! She is the epitome of this character!!!! I only wish that I was alive in 1912 to see her do the role live on stage.

Creighton Hale (The Cat and the Canary) is dashing as Prince Florimond, Snow White's love interest. It is a thankless role, but he manages to shine.

Dorothy Cumming is the vain "Queen Brangomar", Snow White's nemisis. It's ironic that years later she would play the "Virgin Mary" in "King of Kings".....quite a turn around!!!

The rest of the cast handles their roles equally as well as the above mentioned......including Lionel Braham (A Christmas Carol) as "Berthold the Huntsman", and Alice Washburn as "Witch Hex".

Hollywood folklore says that this is the film that inspired Walt Disney to create his animated classic. The similarities between the two are amazing! In the opening of the 1916 film, Snow White is a kitchen maid, going about her daily duties.....very much like Disney's heroine scrubbing the castle steps and crooning to doves. A little brown bird shows Snow White the way to the dwarfs' cottage....just like the animated animals did for her in the cartoon. She also cleans up the cottage, in both versions, before the dwarfs come home, and then falls asleep.

I highly recommend seeking out a copy of this film!!!!
June 19, 2008
The cartoon Disney films arn't really my thing, so... well, I've seen at least htree times at my Nana's. SHUT UP!
May 9, 2008
superb animation can't believe that it was made in>???? what!! Walt Disney total classic
½ February 10, 2008
Very different from the Disney version in tone, execution, and even narrative. Both are good, but I have to say the Disney version is superior. The acting here is good, but pretty standard for films of the era. The technique is good, but again nothing remarkable, when the fairytale aspect could have allowed a bit more experimentation. It needs a bit more wit, charm, and magic (provided by Mr Walt Disney) to truly draw the viewer into the story and appreciate and identify with the characters. They're kept at a bit of a distance in this version. Still quite enjoyable and interesting though.
September 1, 2007
Why no picture!!!??? Princesses always get what they want!!
August 24, 2007
i realllly love disneys snow white. i think it was the first movie i ever whent to in theaters... and i love it! classic!
August 6, 2007
Pretend that it's the Walt Disney one..
August 3, 2007
o crap... wrong snow white.
August 2, 2007
BEST DISNEY MOVIE EVER
July 9, 2007
hope this is the disney one
July 7, 2007
I have never, ever liked Snow White, I just want to punch her goody-goody face.
July 2, 2007
nice movie specially having each dwaf in a especially mod
June 23, 2007
the fairest of them all and by far the best disney movie
June 22, 2007
IT SCARED ME REALLY AT FIRST LOL
½ June 19, 2007
i like the real disney snow white but i couldnt find it so i chose this one and snow white is a good movie
June 18, 2007
loved this when i was a child
June 5, 2007
I love the seven dwarfs... they're so cute!
June 3, 2007