Snow Angels - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Snow Angels Reviews

November 23, 2017
(4.5 out of 6)
When someplace we see there is not much seeing when it's not enough in seeing that we rather go to other places where it's different and much more pleasant. When we see being in someplaces we see others don't have enough to see that others were hoping in seeing in things changing. When someplaces we hope to escape in seeing to rely on those to see us go other places don't come through when we had high hopes and others have no hopes to know what different places we go in opposite directions. When somethings we rather see when other things want to see us but we don't want to see them when we hope to escape somethings we are seriously seeing but know we stuck in some places. When we hate seeing somethings when it puts us in awkward, hateful and strange places to know we rather be other places but can't when we are stuck here. When someplaces others are in we see we hate others taking our place when we wish others could see us that way and find a place in their heart. When we see others prefer to get place to place but we only see one place we rather be when it's our family place as the patriarch then anything else. When we enjoy being in good places rather then dark places to know what place is right for us. When someplaces are tightly small to see for us to know someplaces are ideal in helping those in need. When we rather be in other places when we need to escape, to run, to get high, to find a new place when we hate seeing what we see. When someplaces we go when we hate seeing what we see we go for answers when there is no other place to go. When someplaces we go when what we see we can't unseen when we are in new places we hate seeing when it's dark. When someplaces we rather be we can't when someplaces we are now in when can't get out from that we no longer will see someplaces the way it is. When someplaces we rather see is ourselves in a happy place that we once were. When there are places we go when we die, when we need to escape, reminder of what we lost, and a place we know where others are to know someplaces we see when it is hard to see. When we see why seeing others is hard when others put us in those places when it's good or bad places to know what sticks with us is forever. When what other places others go, we see others don't mind when we know what others are like in places to know they are in safe places to not worry. When someplaces we go we see they are promising when it's for what we always thought it would be, what we are hoping, what we wish could be here. When someplaces we need others to see where others go to escape when they hate someplaces to know how it feels. When we see what places we both take eachother to know what place we must go when we lost it all and a place where we join others we lost. When having a place to hold onto we see other places don't matter as much, when we are part of place that sticks together. When there is always a place for us whether we like what we see where they are we know it's better then other places we rather not go to.
October 28, 2017
Low-key, emotionless film with good performances.
January 27, 2016
This is those kind of movies when it ends you feel like you wasted your time or you didn't see nothing interesting at all. Not a good story or maybe is the way they tried to show it.
December 10, 2015
On a cold afternoon, with snow on the ground, the high school band is practicing for the last football game. They hear shots. Flashback a few weeks before. Arthur is a high school student, bussing at a restaurant. Annie and Barb are waitresses there - Annie was Arthur's babysitter when he was little. She's now separated from her husband Glenn, who's on the wagon, starting a new job, praying to Jesus, and trying to prove he has his balance back so he can see more of their small daughter, Tara. Annie's seeing someone else, Arthur's parents have just separated, and Arthur is attracted to Lila, a new student at the high school. It's a small town, people's lives cross. [IMDb]

David Gordon Green is in the list of my top ten favorite directors and this movie is one of the main reasons for that. As I said in my review for "Undertow", his films are like magic to me. There's a few exceptions here and there (Your Highness, The Sitter and Our Brand Is Crisis) but overall, I mostly love his work. George Washington, All The Real Girls and Snow Angels are some of the best movies I've ever watched. Hell, even Pineapple Express and Prince Avalanche are both two of my favorite comedies. The man knows film and also how to work his way into my heart. Thank you, David.

I'm not a huge fan of Kate Beckinsale but this is easily the finest she's ever been. Her portrayal as Annie was some seriously impressive work; she held back at all the right moments and it really surprised me. Now here's an honest question: when the hell is Sam Rockwell ever bad in a film? He chews up the scenery with his performance here and his role further solidifies him as one of my favorite actors. Glenn is such a tragic character who we watch gradually fall into darkness and it's the highlight of the film. DGG knows when to be real and doesn't flinch in the face of authenticity.

Snow Angels is a masterpiece drama that's filled to the brim with realistic depictions of relationships (On both sides of the fence), magnetic acting and a director who knows how to make tragedies a beautiful thing. This is one of DGG's top quality films and it's a brutally realistic drama that has a few shocking and brilliant moments that knock my socks off and elevate this film above what it could've been. If you're looking for a dark and depressing drama about the bad side of two separated parents, this is a must-see. It's a great watch and I couldn't recommend it enough. The ending is my favorite scene and it's worth watching just to see the outcome of these characters. One of my favorite dramas without a doubt. Highly recommended.

P.S. S/O to Michael Angarano. I love you, man. Keep it up.
½ January 12, 2015
Yes, it's painful, but Snow Angels is so full of rich performances and characterizations that even gunshots can't kill its power.
Robbanflix
January 2, 2015
A superb drama movie with the gorgeous and talent Kate Beckinsale and that's one reason i had to see this movie. This is a movie about a few people with good and bad things in their lifes. The story it self are good i thought with powerful performances / acting. Its nice with drama movies when they are on this high level and very interesting to follow from start til end. Enjoy if u are into a drama moment.
September 27, 2014
Stories of several damaged characters and their relationships intertwine in this tale of suburban dysfunction. While the story itself is compelling, somehow the movie doesn't add up to an engrossing experience. Part of the problem is, the narrative is a bit disjointed with no likeable characters to sympathize with. Kate Beckinsale's performance is a problematic as well. While the rest of the cast was convincing as small-town folks, she stood out being too cute. She tried really hard and I can't say her acting was bad, but the role demanded a type of actress with more emotional depth.
September 1, 2014
Great performances by Kate Beckinsale and Sam Rockwell. He'll everyone played their characters to the fullest. It was great.
August 9, 2014
Well acted film about the failure of empathy. It is ultimately disjointed and gave me a feeling that it was holding back too much. The teenage boy that every girl finds cute is the Jar Jar Binks of dramas: annoying and completely useless and pointless.
½ July 28, 2014
A love story, a story of hate and revenge with a tragic twist towards the end.
June 17, 2014
a pretty good movie all around.
½ June 6, 2014
"Snow Angels" is a sad and deeply affecting drama whose impact stays with you for a long time after the film is over. The mood it creates and varying range of emotions it stirs up are difficult to shake off afterwards, and that is all credited to the writer and director David Gordon Green.

His slice of life drama is filled with rich characters and honest dialogue, and the performances are equal to the tremendous script. Both Green and his actors leave you in turmoil here, sometimes evoking sadness and horror both in the same moment. Witness the emotionally draining scene at the end, the film's final tragedy involving Sam Rockwell and Kate Beckinsale. It's sad, scary and haunting all at the same time. Hearing Beckinsale utter her final word may be the saddest thing I've seen in a film in a long, long time.

Green has a way of moving an audience that few other filmmakers have mastered, as in the simple scene in which Rockwell removes a picture off the wall revealing a handprint he left there as a child. It's so fundamental but powerful thinking about the character's innocent childhood transformed into such a turbulent grown-up life.

Rockwell and Beckinsale give strong performances. And in the middle of it all are the remarkable Olivie Thirlby and Michael Angarano, two teenagers whose budding relationship is funny and touching but also represents hope for the future amid all of the despair on display.

"Snow Angels" is a tough movie to watch, but ultimately the experience is rewarding due to the fine writing and exceptional acting. Many have accused the film of being depressing, and while it is profoundly sad but so is life sometimes. This is a powerful reflection of that.
March 26, 2014
i don't like sad movies.
½ January 25, 2014
David Gordon Green did it again.
November 7, 2013
Snow Angels is a pessimistic film which has absolutely no hope in it...finally...I'm fucking sick of feel good movies made by people who live in a fictional world and who have no sense of reality.
½ October 19, 2013
Down to earth filming and direction make this story move along, at first a little slow as the background is brought forth. The tedium of day to day life is given central focus which may help you sleep as it surely must. If you are depressed or thinking of suicide this is not the film for you as it will push you over the edge, even if happy it may do so. Nibbles: Bread Pudding, Chocolate Mousse.
August 10, 2013
/B/ Very moody film. Rockwell is a real pro.
August 2, 2013
Snow Angels into an absorbing and touching view on small town life, where the community is close yet the people can be distant.
April 16, 2013
This a great movie. It's sad but it makes you feel that movies can still be good. It begins during a high band's marching practice which is going terrible then two gunshots are heard in the distance. It then flashes back several weeks to introduce us to several characters. Glenn is separated from his wife after a failed suicide attempt but he's stopped drinking and becomes a born again Christian he's allowed to see his daughter only under his wife Annie's supervision. She's trying to get her life back on track and she's seeing somebody. Glenn finds out and he goes into alcohol overload and starts harassing her. There's also the story of Arthur the trombone player for the marching band who meets a girl named Lila and starts a little courtship while his parents are in the midst of a separation. Everything comes to a head when Annie and Glenn's daughter goes missing and when she is found it is very sad what happens to her and it sends Glenn into complete meltdown mode and his actions will have a profound effect on the town. For a film that's subject matter includes suicide, murder, separation and harassment I actually found myself getting caught up in what was going to happen next. I also like the contrast between the sad parts and the parts with the teenagers because the parts with the teenagers you feel like you're watching a different movie. Even though this movie is depressing sometimes if you can stick with it when it goes dark it will have a profound effect and leaves you thinking that movies can still be very good
April 11, 2013
Tragic, sad, depressing. One of my favorite movies.