Snow Angels - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Snow Angels Reviews

January 27, 2016
This is those kind of movies when it ends you feel like you wasted your time or you didn't see nothing interesting at all. Not a good story or maybe is the way they tried to show it.
December 10, 2015
On a cold afternoon, with snow on the ground, the high school band is practicing for the last football game. They hear shots. Flashback a few weeks before. Arthur is a high school student, bussing at a restaurant. Annie and Barb are waitresses there - Annie was Arthur's babysitter when he was little. She's now separated from her husband Glenn, who's on the wagon, starting a new job, praying to Jesus, and trying to prove he has his balance back so he can see more of their small daughter, Tara. Annie's seeing someone else, Arthur's parents have just separated, and Arthur is attracted to Lila, a new student at the high school. It's a small town, people's lives cross. [IMDb]

David Gordon Green is in the list of my top ten favorite directors and this movie is one of the main reasons for that. As I said in my review for "Undertow", his films are like magic to me. There's a few exceptions here and there (Your Highness, The Sitter and Our Brand Is Crisis) but overall, I mostly love his work. George Washington, All The Real Girls and Snow Angels are some of the best movies I've ever watched. Hell, even Pineapple Express and Prince Avalanche are both two of my favorite comedies. The man knows film and also how to work his way into my heart. Thank you, David.

I'm not a huge fan of Kate Beckinsale but this is easily the finest she's ever been. Her portrayal as Annie was some seriously impressive work; she held back at all the right moments and it really surprised me. Now here's an honest question: when the hell is Sam Rockwell ever bad in a film? He chews up the scenery with his performance here and his role further solidifies him as one of my favorite actors. Glenn is such a tragic character who we watch gradually fall into darkness and it's the highlight of the film. DGG knows when to be real and doesn't flinch in the face of authenticity.

Snow Angels is a masterpiece drama that's filled to the brim with realistic depictions of relationships (On both sides of the fence), magnetic acting and a director who knows how to make tragedies a beautiful thing. This is one of DGG's top quality films and it's a brutally realistic drama that has a few shocking and brilliant moments that knock my socks off and elevate this film above what it could've been. If you're looking for a dark and depressing drama about the bad side of two separated parents, this is a must-see. It's a great watch and I couldn't recommend it enough. The ending is my favorite scene and it's worth watching just to see the outcome of these characters. One of my favorite dramas without a doubt. Highly recommended.

P.S. S/O to Michael Angarano. I love you, man. Keep it up.
½ January 12, 2015
Yes, it's painful, but Snow Angels is so full of rich performances and characterizations that even gunshots can't kill its power.
January 2, 2015
A superb drama movie with the gorgeous and talent Kate Beckinsale and that's one reason i had to see this movie. This is a movie about a few people with good and bad things in their lifes. The story it self are good i thought with powerful performances / acting. Its nice with drama movies when they are on this high level and very interesting to follow from start til end. Enjoy if u are into a drama moment.
September 27, 2014
Stories of several damaged characters and their relationships intertwine in this tale of suburban dysfunction. While the story itself is compelling, somehow the movie doesn't add up to an engrossing experience. Part of the problem is, the narrative is a bit disjointed with no likeable characters to sympathize with. Kate Beckinsale's performance is a problematic as well. While the rest of the cast was convincing as small-town folks, she stood out being too cute. She tried really hard and I can't say her acting was bad, but the role demanded a type of actress with more emotional depth.
September 1, 2014
Great performances by Kate Beckinsale and Sam Rockwell. He'll everyone played their characters to the fullest. It was great.
August 9, 2014
Well acted film about the failure of empathy. It is ultimately disjointed and gave me a feeling that it was holding back too much. The teenage boy that every girl finds cute is the Jar Jar Binks of dramas: annoying and completely useless and pointless.
½ July 28, 2014
A love story, a story of hate and revenge with a tragic twist towards the end.
June 17, 2014
a pretty good movie all around.
½ June 6, 2014
"Snow Angels" is a sad and deeply affecting drama whose impact stays with you for a long time after the film is over. The mood it creates and varying range of emotions it stirs up are difficult to shake off afterwards, and that is all credited to the writer and director David Gordon Green.

His slice of life drama is filled with rich characters and honest dialogue, and the performances are equal to the tremendous script. Both Green and his actors leave you in turmoil here, sometimes evoking sadness and horror both in the same moment. Witness the emotionally draining scene at the end, the film's final tragedy involving Sam Rockwell and Kate Beckinsale. It's sad, scary and haunting all at the same time. Hearing Beckinsale utter her final word may be the saddest thing I've seen in a film in a long, long time.

Green has a way of moving an audience that few other filmmakers have mastered, as in the simple scene in which Rockwell removes a picture off the wall revealing a handprint he left there as a child. It's so fundamental but powerful thinking about the character's innocent childhood transformed into such a turbulent grown-up life.

Rockwell and Beckinsale give strong performances. And in the middle of it all are the remarkable Olivie Thirlby and Michael Angarano, two teenagers whose budding relationship is funny and touching but also represents hope for the future amid all of the despair on display.

"Snow Angels" is a tough movie to watch, but ultimately the experience is rewarding due to the fine writing and exceptional acting. Many have accused the film of being depressing, and while it is profoundly sad but so is life sometimes. This is a powerful reflection of that.
March 26, 2014
i don't like sad movies.
½ January 25, 2014
David Gordon Green did it again.
November 7, 2013
Snow Angels is a pessimistic film which has absolutely no hope in it...finally...I'm fucking sick of feel good movies made by people who live in a fictional world and who have no sense of reality.
½ October 19, 2013
Down to earth filming and direction make this story move along, at first a little slow as the background is brought forth. The tedium of day to day life is given central focus which may help you sleep as it surely must. If you are depressed or thinking of suicide this is not the film for you as it will push you over the edge, even if happy it may do so. Nibbles: Bread Pudding, Chocolate Mousse.
August 10, 2013
/B/ Very moody film. Rockwell is a real pro.
August 2, 2013
Snow Angels into an absorbing and touching view on small town life, where the community is close yet the people can be distant.
April 16, 2013
This a great movie. It's sad but it makes you feel that movies can still be good. It begins during a high band's marching practice which is going terrible then two gunshots are heard in the distance. It then flashes back several weeks to introduce us to several characters. Glenn is separated from his wife after a failed suicide attempt but he's stopped drinking and becomes a born again Christian he's allowed to see his daughter only under his wife Annie's supervision. She's trying to get her life back on track and she's seeing somebody. Glenn finds out and he goes into alcohol overload and starts harassing her. There's also the story of Arthur the trombone player for the marching band who meets a girl named Lila and starts a little courtship while his parents are in the midst of a separation. Everything comes to a head when Annie and Glenn's daughter goes missing and when she is found it is very sad what happens to her and it sends Glenn into complete meltdown mode and his actions will have a profound effect on the town. For a film that's subject matter includes suicide, murder, separation and harassment I actually found myself getting caught up in what was going to happen next. I also like the contrast between the sad parts and the parts with the teenagers because the parts with the teenagers you feel like you're watching a different movie. Even though this movie is depressing sometimes if you can stick with it when it goes dark it will have a profound effect and leaves you thinking that movies can still be very good
April 11, 2013
Tragic, sad, depressing. One of my favorite movies.
March 25, 2013
Sad film... good acting... touching on topic of mental illness, it seems, but doesn't really broadcast it...
½ March 13, 2013
Cryptic story. Kind of depressing, and coming from me that says a lot.