Snow White and the Huntsman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Snow White and the Huntsman Reviews

May 16, 2016
what is there not to like expect for kristen stewart and chris hemsworth performance. but one thing is certain that charlize theron' s acting keeps you glued to your seat. ''You would kill your QUEEN! '' well done theron.
May 13, 2016
It worked for what it was. Good popcorn movie. Great visuals. Acting was fine(Theron killed it[in a good way]!!!). But there wasn't much else there... it fell flat but I went in already expecting that.
May 11, 2016
It has really been a popular trend lately, remaking old classic cartoons into live action movies. And that was also done with "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs," but it's being redone and Eric, the Huntsman is getting a much bigger role this time around. This movie constantly tries to remind you that you are actually watching a remake of an old fairytale, but that they have done some changes, but it's not like we ever need to be reminded of that because we can see it and the only thing that is basically the same are some of the characters. Snow White and the Huntsman are some of the characters that we recognize and then not really. Then the dwarfs, but they have been changed for something that isn't exactly positive. The performances by Chris Hemsworth and Charlize Theron are great and they really knock it out of the park, even though the story doesn't really do that much to help the characters at all. Kristen Stewart is fine in the movie, but her performance only change slightly from her horrible performance in "The Twilight Saga" movies. The movie isn't really that good and it definitely doesn't get better no matter how many times you watch it.
May 2, 2016
well it's weird to put it mildly, but on thing... there is is a big difference between plate and a mirror :D
April 30, 2016
I loved it but I feel like it had some room for improvement. Something about the producers always seem to leave something out that would push it over the top.
½ April 29, 2016
the first time i watched this movie i thought it was decent. the second time i thought it was pretty useless. any of the action, fight scenes or war scenes were pointless. there were some cool visuals but other than that i didn't really like this movie (2 viewings)
½ April 26, 2016
68%
Despite an unconvincing pair of leads and some glaring plot holes, Snow White and the Huntsmen is a refreshing take on the classic tale, boasting heavy visuals and a magnetic performance by Charlize Theron.

V: 60%
½ April 25, 2016
"Mirror Mirror", la exquisita pero vacía adaptación del cuento de Blanca Nieves, acaba de ser presentada en las salas de cine. ¿Será que el espectador aguanta otra versión de una historia más que conocida? La respuesta es sí. Salvo una pésima elección de casting (Kristen Stewart no se desprende de su actitud "crepuscular"), "Snow White and The Huntsman" es una divertida historia de aventuras con mucha acción, fantasía y giros insospechados. Esta versión de Blanca Nieves en acción real supera a "Mirror Mirror" en cuanto a magia y buenas actuaciones (Charlize Theron se roba el show como la reina malvada). Sin embargo, si usted quiere revisar el cuento de Blanca Nieves, le recomiendo optar por la versión animada de Disney, que sigue siendo la adaptación definitiva.
½ April 24, 2016
I'm so glad I watched this movie from the beginning to the end...so I don't have to watch it again. It takes a lot for me not to rate a movie 5 stars, or at least 3 stars, but I just couldn't go above 2 1/2 with this one.

Boring characters with barely present personalities left me wondering at times "Oh, am I supposed to care about what just happened?"

Visually the movie was alright, although many scenes could have easily been outtakes from "The Lord of the Rings" or "The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc". Toss in a slight bit of Tim Burton's "Alice in Wonderland" and there you have it.

Maybe it will end up being one of those "easy to have on in the background" type movies.
½ April 24, 2016
Snow White and the Huntsman is another adaptation to the story of Snow White, and it stars Kristen Stewart, Chris Hemsworth, and Charlize Theron in a fantasy action about Snow White who escaped from her step-mother named Ravenna who wanted her Snow White for herself so that she'll be the fairest of them all. The queen forcefully hires a huntsman to look for her, and the huntsman and Snow White work together to run away from the queen. I remember watching this before and enjoying myself for how suitably dark it is, and with The Huntsman: Winter's War coming out, I figured it'd be best for me to watch it again and have the same enjoyment that I had the first time watching Snow White and the Huntsman. Chris Hemsworth is great as the huntsman, and Charlize Theron is one of the best parts of the film. Now for Kristen Stewart, this movie is released between the last two Twilight films, so she hasn't got any positive stuff from critics until her later films start coming in, so in this, she's surprisingly good in it and can be very intimidating when she's leading an army. The special effects look really nice and very imaginative, and I thought that the writing by Hossein Amini, Evan Daugherty, and John Lee Hancock was pretty good, although there were some moments that I thought could've been better. The dwarfs are very cool and funny, and the action scenes are entertaining to watch. The score by James Newton Howard is very good as it settles the dark atmosphere, and the character development is surprisingly better than I thought was going in with the Snow White story that has been attempted many times. In the end, Snow White and the Huntsman is one of the best Snow White adaptations that I've seen, and would come back to it again to have myself a good time.
½ April 24, 2016
The problem with Snow White and the Huntsman isn't necessarily the fact that it so desperately wants to be the next Lord of the Rings or Game of Thrones. Both of those franchises, however, succeed where this film fails: characterization. Snow White and the Huntsman has no problem being a visually stunning film full of frankly gorgeous production and costume design: the real problem here is lack of significant character development. None of the characters are even remotely memorable, and follow typical character arcs that feel horribly overdone. It's a shame, because this results in a talented cast being wasted on poorly written material. Kristen Stewart has proven that she can be a capable actress, and hints of passion come in bursts here, but she's mostly unmemorable. It's arguably because the character demands stoicism, but it's disappointing to see Stewart's potential wasted nevertheless. Chris Hemsworth falls in the same boat: despite hints of charisma, he's mostly lifeless. Charlize Theron shows the most charisma of the main trio, but only because her character demands her to scream every other line and completely chew the scenery. Debut director Rupert Sanders shows signs of promise as a technical director, but next time, he should pick a project with a stronger script.
½ April 23, 2016
Decent. Not as epic as it could have been. Great visuals and fantasy elements, but its drown out by shallow story-telling and empty drama.
½ April 23, 2016
The only real reason I decided to finally sit down and watch Snow White and The Huntsman was due to the release of The Huntsman Winters War this weekend. Though there are plenty of beautifully shot sequences and cool imagery, the film is an overall bore with no real chemistry between any of the actors on screen.

The good things I had heard from this film besides the visuals revolved around Charlize Theron's portrayal of Ravenna/the Queen. Sometimes the performance blurred the lines of it being over the top, but I enjoyed every second of it. She really seemed to be the only one having fun with her role as the rest of the film is a grim sloppy mess. Kristin Stewart wasn't unbearable as the titular character and Chris Hemsworth was Chris Hemsworth, but he didn't get a ton to do. I didn't mind watching their individual performances but their chemistry together was nonexistent.

The film has extraordinary visuals, however. Not only is Greig Fraser's cinematography gorgeous, but the visual effects are top notch. It's aesthetic is largely different than the original 1937 film, with a few exceptions. Of course, the dwarfs do make an appearance, albeit not a memorable one. But there's also a twist or two in the latter half that borrow from the old film, but sadly, they are handled poorly. In all, it's an entertaining watch without volume or any real investment in the story, if that's what you're into.

+Visuals

+Theron

-Chemistry is lacking

-Poorly handled 3rd act

5.0/10
April 22, 2016
Snow whit and the huntsman is a good movie it is pretty creepy having snow White is locked away in the dungeon in the castle and the evil queen is pretty creepy. I like How Snow White and the Huntsman get prepared for battle against the queen. There where funny parts in this movie I think. I like the dark forest and the wars they had. I like the huntsman in this movie he is sarcastic and funny so he was pretty cocky for a sunset of humor. Same with the evil queen! But for me hay it makes a good fairy tale! I do not recommend this movie two kids
½ April 21, 2016
not a fan of traditional faity tales, at first wasnt interested in this flick, but i gave a try, and, guess what??, it keeps glued to the screen until the very end, the reason: charlize theron....before i forget, i think kristen was sweet.....definitely mjolnir was needed, uupss, no, thats another movie.....i think im going to watch the sequel.
½ April 21, 2016
Of the endless adaptations of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs," it was not expected that a Kristen Stewart-lead version would be enjoyable at all, but this is a surprisingly good film, not without it's flaws however; Following the origin of the titular character, audiences get to see a new version of where her character comes from, as well as a gritty take on her. Now, let me first start by saying Kristen Stewart is easily the weakest part of the film by far, which is frustrating, given her role in the film. This was expected however, due to the talent in Chris Hemsworth and Charlize Theron by her side for the majority of the picture. Not only does this film add changes to the classic tale, but it also delves into emotional storytelling that was never really present in the Disney adaptation, or something like "Mirror Mirror."

Chris Hemsworth is the stand-out in my opinion, stealing the screen every time he appears. His back story, mixed with his quick-wit, really makes for an enjoyably bad-ass character with heart to back it all up. That being said, his character is surrounded by performers who seem to be phoning it in most of the time, and when he comes across the dwarves, they are very standard-looking (almost taken right out of a tolkein novel), which makes him stand-out even more. Hemsworth's performance is distractingly great in this film.

The story itself does have some changes, but for the most part it is very similar, with a few dark tones added in. The war aspect was obviously the biggest addition, and while nobody ever would have pegged a Snow White adaptation to be like this, the action works it's way into this film very well. The climax is great and very fun to watch. The visual effects are pretty impressive for the most part and the story has nice arcs, stopping for tender moments between characters and picking up just before getting too boring. As a whole, this film succeeds more than most movie goers would expect it to. In my opinion, this is a very solid film all around. Since this story is as old as time, there is not much else to say here.

"Snow White and the Huntsman" takes more time to be a good film than one might expect, despite a sluggish performance from Kristen Stewart and a slightly over long running time. There are a few instances of lazy dialogue, but they are forgiveable later on the in the film, as the are always made up for with an emotionally unexpected scene. This film is not great by any means, but it is very enjoyable when you have nothing else to watch. Therefore, I give this a nice recommendation to young adults. It is very much in that demographic. "Snow White and the Huntsman" is a treat for fantasy fans or action/adventure junkies alike. I might enjoy this movie more than most people, but it seems to get better and better upon each viewing. Very enjoyable film.
April 21, 2016
Surprisingly reasonably enjoyable, with some excellent visuals and exciting action, despite having some uneven pacing and script issues.
April 20, 2016
There was a good idea in there somewhere---and several of the sequences are admittedly visually stunning---but ultimately Snow White and the Huntsman is a poorly developed film that takes itself too seriously and tries to accomplish too much with a thinly written, and unintentionally laughable screenplay. As an added flaw, the film badly steals from the vastly superior The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, which, unlike Huntsman, stands near the top of the fantasy genre.
April 19, 2016
The reason why I watched this movie is because The Director who made this movie is Directing Ghost of the shell live action movie coming next year, at first I thought this movie wasn't going be that good but after seeing the film. I really enjoyed watching this movie. The story Is interesting, the action is great and the acting was good too. Chris Hemsworth the dude who played THOR from the Marvel Movies was Awesome playing as the Huntsman. Kristen Stewart playing as Snow White, okay at first. I didn't see her playing this character but she was okay portraying the character. Charlize Theron she was really good playing as the main villain in the movie. She did kinda scare me lol. but overall the movie was great It not as big as Star Wars, Marvel Movies or any other Blockbusters movies, It is worth to watch tho. :)
April 18, 2016
A great film; even if Kristen Stewart is in the film.