Snow White and the Huntsman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Snow White and the Huntsman Reviews

September 2, 2016
I put an honest effort into watching this movie. After a half hour though, I couldn't watch it anymore.
The movie set up is sloppy, and cliche. The magic is over-the-top. The acting is questionable.
Save yourself two hours, watch something else.
½ August 30, 2016
"Snow White and the Huntsman" is a retelling of the classic fairy tale, "Snow White", but with a much darker and more serious vibe. Usually, movies like that don't attract me, spinning off something else by doing it darker and more serious just takes away the fun for me and leaves me bored. However, this movie kept it interesting at some parts, sure the pacing was a little off, as I felt it was a little bit longer than it needed to be, but for a medieval dark movie, it did alright. The dialogue was something that I thought needed work, which knocked down the movie, and made it kinda boring. I will say though, Charlize Theron as Ravenna, (or the "Evil Queen"), was absolutely 100% the best part about this movie. Her acting was excellent, I loved her recreation of the wicked witch, and her transformation from beautiful queen to old witch was done really well. If not for her, this movie would've been a LOT worse that it was. "Snow White and the Huntsman" isn't an awful movie, but with bad pacing and a few boring scenes, it's only worth watching if you're bored.
½ August 28, 2016
Only Fairyland is disappointing the rest of it is in great shape. Watch the extended cut though.
August 19, 2016
A much darker and grimmer version of the tale most of us know from Walt Disney's telling. I'm not sure why Chris Hemsworth's Huntsman character shares title billing with Snow White, because he doesn't do that much besides guide Snow White through a forest. The dwarfs are here (although at least some of them appear to be real little actors with the faces of more famous full-sized actors digitally grafted onto their bodies). The costumes, special effects, and acting are decent, but the plot is full of holes. When Snow White is on the run with the Huntsman from the evil Queen Ravenna, her stepmother, the Queen's soldiers always seem to be mere steps behind her, yet continually fail to catch her. And just when Snow White appears safe, the soldiers leap out of nearby bushes and start swinging swords again. This version also goes beyond true love's kiss to a huge battle for the throne. How Snow White, who was locked in a tower for about a decade, learned to ride and fight, is an utter mystery. There are also scenes indicating the princess is some sort of Chosen One, although chosen for what and chose how is never really explained. She's just, you know, a really special person. Go watch Disney's version. It has more heart.
½ August 13, 2016
Despite its stunning visuals and a joyfully wicked performance from Charlize Theron, Snow White and the Huntsman isn't interesting or exciting enough to satisfy
½ August 9, 2016
Striking visuals (if reminiscent of Gladiator, Ridley Scott's Robin Hood and Game of Thrones amongst others) and an intriguingly hammy performance from Charlize Theron as a seriously disturbed queen. But this film joins the ranks of wannabe epics that fail to have any impact, particularly in the oddly dull action and battle sequences. And Kristen Stewart is miscast, convincing neither as an innocent beauty confronted by and grappling with evil nor as a warrior queen. She's physically present and that's it. Optically interesting failure.
August 8, 2016
The movie is ambitious but a disappointment lead by the lead role of Kristen Stewart's snow white, her acting is terrible and most of the other cast seemed to follow her. Add the uneven pacing and the tangled plot, the movie is boring and without any charms. A waste of production effort which is the only decent thing the movie had, the acting, direction and the script were just awful.
August 6, 2016
A decent adaptation of the Snow White story with some decent action and visual style. Whilst its not the best film in the world and far from epic, its still an entertaining movie which captures the wonder of the backdrop.
July 25, 2016
I missed over 1 hr. of the movie and believe me that is the longest i have ever missed in any movie ever.

Score: 3/10
½ July 20, 2016
Omg this movie is terrible. Like genuine garbage. 49% is wayyyy to generous.
½ July 17, 2016
I'm biased on this one because I read the script first, which was outstanding. I don't want to know what horror happened between the writing stage and the filming stage, but I smell studio interference of the worst kind.
July 10, 2016
The film is atrocious to the point which even Charlize Theron could not push this film to a level of bearbility and its primary issue is that it suffers a horrible miscasted character which nobody needs to question who exactly.
July 7, 2016
Such visual beauty in one film makes this film the 'fairest one of all' or among them.
June 28, 2016
Charlize Theron as the Queen was what made me watch this movie.-
Positives: Charlize Theron, her makeup, her hair, her costumes, Chris Hemsworth.
Negatives: Someone needed to remind Kristen Stewart that this was not another Twilight movie.
June 23, 2016
Offering a dark tune, Snow White and the Huntsman is a visually stunning film with a thinly written script of flat characters.
June 15, 2016
This movie was great I liked it and it had some good action.
½ June 11, 2016
The only thing good about this movie is Charlize - Charlize - Charlize!

And despite my despise of every Twilight movie, I actually think that Kris is a great actress! (check the history). But, could they not have cast such a horrid Snow White????? The overall "idea" of the story was awesome (aka Ravenna's story). They dropped the ball everywhere else.

I actually like "Snow White: A Tale of Terror" better - no lie! ??
June 9, 2016
Another horrible attempt at trying to make a movie from classic fairy tales. The whole movie is too weird and random for me. Some scenes just doesn't make sense to me...like that scene where we see the queen rising from a bath of white stuff...=_= I zoned out for most of this movie.

It's honestly not that much better than Mirror Mirror.
½ June 1, 2016
The latest and grittiest in a long line of interpretations, Snow White and the Huntsman has a darkness that seeps into the soul but falters in its storytelling. Unable to uncover the great film it threatens at, the classic black fairytales underlying nuances are lost in an overcompensating stylish design driven production.

Taking his cues from recent fantastical period pieces, television commercial director Rupert Sanders excels in his debut feature. From the exquisite production design to the beautiful cinematography, the meticulous technical details prove a visual marvel, but sadly the opportunity to deliver of a truly contemporary cinematic experience is squandered and like its central villain is left without heart.

Obsessed with beauty, power and immortality, the evil sorcerous Ravenna (Charlize Theron) survives by sucking the life force out of the kingdom's womenfolk. Bewitching the recently widowed King Magnus (Noah Huntley) then murdering him in their marriage bed, the Queen easily assumes rule of the realm.

Following the council of her omnipotent magic mirror, the Queen imprisons the Kings young daughter Snow (Raffey Cassidy) in the castle tower. The future fairest-of-them-all, Snow's pure innocence is the key to the Queens everlasting magnificence.

Before she comes of sacrifice age, Snow (Kristen Stewart) realizes the Queen's plan. Escaping the clutches of Ravenna's leering brother Finn (Sam Spruell) she flees to the only place no-one would dare venture, the Dark forest.

Incensed, the Queen tasks a damaged and drunkard Huntsman (Chris Hemsworth) with the task of venturing into the forest to retrieve the slippery minx and return her heart beating or not.

Upon finding her however he becomes incapable of extinguishing or even resisting her sincere purity. Abandoning his original plight, the Huntsman agrees to assist in her survival by any means, as do eight wise little men and turncoat smitten childhood friend William (Sam Clafin).

Further enraged, the Queen unleashes a wake of destruction across the land, subtly targeting Snow and those within her party. But as if awoken from a curse, the Huntsman begins to mentor Snow in the art of warfare and spearheads a rebellious quest to conquer the evil queen to educate her in the true price of excessive vanity.

Fierce as her silence simmers into the collective psyche, her powers dwindle as Theron's brittle imperious Queen barks and rants hammy evil commands with a little too much fervor. Forced into fighting yet another up-hill script battle, the personality lacking Stewart is able to utilize here awkward demeanor and naturally uncomfortable look to add to her character.

Lacking any real emotional tissue to work with, the talented Hemsworth does a decent job of conveying the expected pain for a widowed roguish huntsman but doesn't get the opportunity to add any layers. The eight dwarfs (yes eight) consists of veteran British actors Ian McShane, Ray Winstone, Eddie Marsan, Toby Jones, Nick Frost, Johnny Harris, Brian Gleeson, and Bob Hoskins, although critics have slammed the controversial and directorial decision to augment them through CGI the outcome was well calculated and paid off with great although limited characterizations.

Harping back to the visual effects, the treasure of this film is its two contrasting fantastical locations. The harsh and foreboding Dark forest and its polar opposite the stunning and enchanted faerie sanctuary.

Void of cheer, colour, beauty and kindness, the Dark forest is a minefield of blackened tree bones, burnt out greenery, poison leaching mushrooms and a monstrous troll, the uncomfortability is palpable. Alive with spirits, sprites and scampering forest animals, the bright fairyland positively glows with welcoming complexity.

Sitting in eerie splendor on an island joined to the mainland only at low tide, the gothic fantasy detailed castle matches the tone wonderfully as does The Queens numerous shape-shifting transformations however the bizarre terminator-like shapeless molten-gold 'mirror man' figure is glaringly out of place.

The Verdict: Commanding extraordinary graphic powers, a chemistry lacking true love's kiss is incapable of reviving the deathly dull screenplay that is Snow White and The Huntsman.

Published: The Queanbeyan Age