The Snows of Kilimanjaro - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Snows of Kilimanjaro Reviews

½ September 16, 2015
Melodramatic adaptation of the Ernest Hemingway story has Gregory Peck dying of an infection while being a great white hunter in Africa and then reflecting (though flashbacks) on his life. I haven't read t his Hemingway story, but I do know that Hemingway did not like this film and felt it cannibalized from his other works to pad the story, which I wondered while watching when there's love on the battlefield, bullfighting and other Hemingway hallmarks. The story is pretty corny, but this is a Darryl F. Zanuck production, so the picture is lushly filmed, features a strong cast with Peck, Ava Gardner, Susan Hayward and Leo G. Carroll, a features one of Bernard Herrmann's best scores, which is saying something. Overall, it's a classy production of a corny melodrama.
½ June 18, 2015
The love story is quite conventional, but itīs nice to watch the images around African natural environment.
½ May 29, 2015
Classic pot-boiler fromf the classic Hemingway pot-boiler. Up there with Peck's finest performances.
April 21, 2015
A blockbuster with magnificent performances.
September 14, 2014
Todo muy lindo, pero me cambiaron el final y me metieron cosas en la historia que nada tienen que ver con el cuento!
Un placer, igual, ver a Ava Gardner y a Gregory Peck. Glamour era el de antes.
September 7, 2014
Though it is definitely a dated style of movie story telling, the essence of Ernest Hemingway's masterpiece still shines through.
½ April 3, 2014
Can't believe the studio mutilated Hemingway's masterpiece in this way. Pasted a happy ending on and omitted the true ending. Zanuck was an idiot. Disgusting.
February 10, 2014
An untruthful adaptation of Ernest Hemingway's masterpiece by editing the ending ruthlessly is unavoidably blasted by critics. But the sentiments exhibited by Peck over Gardner and his own experience are true and subtle. A fine entertainment especially with the exotic African scenery.
February 10, 2014
i first saw this as a kid with my mom and i had no idea what was going on since most of the story is told thru flashbacks.
½ December 26, 2013
Peck and Gardner give their all and are believable but lots of overacting and dated conversations, but the story does come through. Very watchable.
November 23, 2013
I am going to pass on this one.
February 18, 2013
I hated this movie. The plot was all over the place. The acting is good, just the story is bad. My opinion.
½ November 7, 2012
The very reflective 'Author's Author' story & very much a vehicle for Ernest Hemingway dreams & aspirations.

Basically an author injured severely on Safari his reflection on his life, however the transitions in this film are extremely sudden there are no fades it just simply jumps back to a flash back.

The acting was solid I though Ava Gardener had the strongest presence on screen, but the locales & cinematography of this film are the real champions. Can see why this film is heralded a classic, but has it's flaws.
½ July 2, 2012
A classic form 1952 with the always great, Gregory Peck.
½ June 24, 2012
the dialogue in "the snows of kilimanjaro" is so witty and quick, it's easy to miss some brilliant lines, but if you're paying attention, you're sure to have a good time watching, if for no other reason than the dialogue.
June 22, 2012
Movie kept getting better as character played by Gregory Peck is developed. Ava Gardner and Peck are amazing together. John Hamm reminds me of Peck.
½ April 19, 2012
a dying man (Peck) remineces about his adventures in the African safari
October 19, 2011
i quit at about 38minutes... the chop style scene shifts, blatant studio sets vs. outdoor footage, and sitcom dialogue were worse enough to ruin any suspension of disbelief.. but then started the neanderthal philosophy of gender relations, and the lady's descriptions of her emotions during the paris romance, which was totally not what was happening during those scenes. what a load
July 2, 2011
Gregory Peck is decent in this, but the story is pretty fragmented, and it seemed pretty silly in parts, but it is a good example of why good communication is so important in a relationship.