So Long at the Fair - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

So Long at the Fair Reviews

August 17, 2014
Probably one of Antony Darnborough's best films as the pairing of Jean Simmons and Dirk Bogarde makes the story believable
December 20, 2013
Great thriller that makes you think of Hitchcock.
August 1, 2013
An oddball thriller. and mystery well acted
½ January 5, 2013
This film is suspenseful and fun, a real original in its time!
June 14, 2011
amazing stuff awesome performance by simmons as a sister trying 2 find her lost brother at the paris exhibition in 1889 so yes its a period piece/costume drama combined with a thriller mystery.
March 29, 2010
Well I may be biased since I tend to love anything british. But I found it incredible! Jean Simmons just radiates, and has a very Audrey Hepburn type quality. This movie is just a masterpiece, forgotten or not.
June 4, 2009
Ok, who remembers the Alvin Schwartz Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark/Chill Your Bones trilogy? In one of the books: Scary Stories 3 More Tales to Chill Your Bones, there's a story called "Maybe You Will Remember". In the Notes and Sources, found in the back of the book, it states that this story was based on this movie.
½ April 26, 2009
never heard of this thriller but it showed up on TCM & I loved it. To start, there's Jean and Dirk, esp. Dirk. and the seemingly villainous Cathleen Nesbitt. But it's the extended play of the central mystery that lasts right up until almost the very end, when we get the answer and the reversal. Very clever. Plus the atmosphere of the Paris Exhibition and the Tour d'Eiffel, etc. Charmant.
April 18, 2009
sounds good, and ruby likes it, so i'm in.
April 17, 2009
Just caught the second half of it tonight and the first thing I fixated on was how splendidly decorated and filled up with the proper atmosphere it was for its plot setting. Second I was hooked by Jean Simmon's voice which is sweet, but deep and determined. She looks beautiful in her costumes and she wears them well. The plot is mysterious and quirky, not what one would expect which brings an added bonus to the suspenseful parts as they come sneaking up on you. There is little danger in overacting from the cast and when Jean's character cries, you agree that she is entitled to it. She always gets her bearings back and thats great to watch in a performance. Its really just a smart little film that is smooth and genteel without being nauseating. Feels like a really fancy twilight zone episode. I don't think it would have been as successful had the story had been say, relocated to 30's, 40's New York. The exhibition chaos brings it all to life.
rubystevens
½ April 17, 2009
a neat british thriller, a little reminiscent of the lady vanishes. a brother and sister travel to paris for the exhibition circa 1900 and on awakening the next morning the sister finds both her brother and even his room have mysteriously disappeared in the night. said to be based on a true story but perhaps more of an urban legend. lovely performances by the stunning jean simmons and dirk bogarde, as an artist who's the only one who believes her story. an early work of terrence fisher who went on to fame directing hammer horror films.
January 23, 2009
only seen once a long time ago need to see again
February 15, 2008
This movie has an interesting atmosphere about it. It is mysterious, at the same time somewhat funny, but still with a pretty serious ending!