Soar Into the Sun - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Soar Into the Sun Reviews

½ November 6, 2016
This is Korea's take on 'Topgun', half of it filled with pop love story. Gotta love the several minutes of dog fights. LOL.
July 11, 2015
Not so bad as I expected: South Korean movie about pilots, with heavy inspiration from Top Gun. Actings are ok, sometimes inclined to a funny side, plot a little simple, but the aerial action scenes are nice. 6,0 / 10,0
½ February 23, 2015
AKA Black Eagle, Soar Into the Sun, Windfighters, is a remake of a Korean movie from the 60's. Not having seen that, it reminds me a lot of Top Gun. Rain (Korea's Justin Timberlake) takes the role of Tom Cruise, a daredevil pilot that flies too close to things and gets people to spill coffee. The planes are more advanced, Rain flies an F-15 Eagle instead of an F-14 Tomcat (which foreshadowed TomKat). The enemies are real MiG-29s, instead of fictional MiG-28s. Cool shots of a battle over Seoul, too long and dramatic. Intense dogfights and some beautiful slow-mo make for some exhilarating action scenes.
December 23, 2014
Finally got to see this "Korean Top Gun" film starring Rain. The movie starts out slow then picks up towards the end. The movie actually has similarities to several movies and TV shows all mixed into one including Top Gun, Behind Enemy Lines, The Rock, and the animation Robotech.
So if you are a fan of the above then this one would be worth watching. I give this movie 4 stars for overall entertainment value but ding it 1 star for originality.
July 25, 2014
Honestly, I have been waiting for a movie like this for a longgggggggg time.
I have to admit that the CGi in this movie is surprisingly good. All the chasing and dogfight made me felt like i'm in the Ace Combat, but the drawback is the storyline and dialogues. they're quite soft for a situation like this. Lastly, they should put more afford on "Reality" like since when Strike Eagle was that good in a dogfight? and how the heck they could manage to wiped out North Korean base with two fighter?
September 29, 2013
Nice production values and a cute romance can't save Return to Base: Black Eagle from falling into cliche territory. Its steeped in extreme melodrama, and is ferociously manipulative by developing a side character and his engagement, only to kill him off for forced emotion. The film has American soldiers who try to get in the heroes way, and even have most of the cast in anxious mode at the end when the hero doesn't immediately return, when we know full well he will. It blatantly rips off Top Gun, but at a lengthy 2 hours it never gets very exciting or memorable.
½ September 17, 2013
It's South Korean Top Gun. All the good flying movie tropes are observed. It delivers what it's selling.
July 30, 2013
eh not bad not good just ok
½ June 28, 2013
75% satisfied. #Rottentomatoes
skactopus
½ June 13, 2013
Dong-won Kim's R2B: Return to Base goes for the top gun.For a 110 minutes of screen time, the excitement is lacking. The story is predictable and a number of the characters are underdeveloped. There are moments when the film is seemingly trying to be funny, but it never reaches the pinnacle of laughter.The jet and action sequences are passable. Once the end credits finish rolling, there isn't much to remember about any of it. There is also a heavy reliance on CG, which is decent enough. Still, all the military hardware is the highlight of the film.Rain does have his moments, although not award winning. Shin Se-kyung has a pretty face, but delivers a performance more geared toward a drama. The rest of the cast do what they can with the characters they are given.R2B: Return to Base has its share of pros and cons. At the end of the day, it is a watchable film out of Korea.
½ May 3, 2013
Predictable story line.
½ April 19, 2013
You can skip half a movie straight away. It's boring, jokes not funny (first half suppose to be a comedy I think) and acting is bad (overacting is a problem of Korean Cinema). Second half skipping from comedy to action and here we got what we came for. Second half is not bad at all.P.S. I just found out, that they made this movie for only $1,000,000!!! Jeez... I didn't expected so, I thought they spent like 10x. Seriously, well done guys
March 18, 2013
Predictable, cliche, cheesy, and despite all that, still quite enjoyable as a mainstream, sometimes music-video-like, action flick sprinkled with the usual Korean melodrama. Michael Bay would have approved at the showcase of South Korean air force and military effectiveness. I am very sure it will serve as an effective military recruitment campaign.
½ March 15, 2013
Un "Top Gun" version sud-coréenne. Scénario prévisible mais tout de même divertissent.
½ February 17, 2013
Top Gun.....Korean style
½ February 9, 2013
Despite its formulaic script, Soar into the sun has some great moments. It's nice to have some story to a movie instead of just mindless action scenes with planes.
February 4, 2013
Even though it may be seen as a Top Gun rip-off, it's still damn entertaining. Dogfights (though mostly CGI), romantic comedy, and as usual for most Korean military movies, North-South tension. Visually stunning for a movie shot on RED. Characters have heart and backstories for us to relate to or sympathize with them.
½ January 19, 2013
Even with the evil North coup' attacking SK, the South Korean's still find a way to make the Americans the bad guys as well lol. Otherwise, the dog fights are exciting. Down on the ground the story kind of drags on but it's tolerable.
December 30, 2012
This is amazing .... I call it TOP GUN 2. Must watch movie.