Solar Attack - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Solar Attack Reviews

July 21, 2014
No movie about natural disasters that stars Mark Decascos can become a masterpiece.
½ June 14, 2013
Yeah this is C R A P
½ March 27, 2013
The only actress less believable as a scientist was Denise Richards in a James Bond flick.
½ December 19, 2011
Quite predictable. Must be a SciFi channel special. Alas, it isn't the worse SciFi I've seen...
½ March 17, 2011
You know we are in trouble when Mark Dacascos is the only one who can save the world.
½ February 4, 2011
Not simply just a story about a team of hardluck scientists trying to avert global extinction, there is some great character acting and plenty of spectacular special effects.
½ January 15, 2011
Iron Chef saves the world!
June 3, 2010
Obviously cheesy. I have to give it credit for having one of the goofiest and so unrealistic "save the day" solutions though.
½ February 9, 2010
SOLAR ATTACK

Fun. O.K. special effects, simulations, and visuals. Story is set at some unspecified future time but seemingly not too far hence from the present day. Interesting scenario, but this science fiction tale is not exactly based on good science-which may or may not be important for some viewers-i.e. if in fact atmospheric levels of methane and other inflammable chemicals were anywhere near those portrayed, then a mere flash of lightning, let alone a catastrophic solar CME, would be enough to ignite the air and set off a similar cascading effect. Otherwise, I liked it. This is about two ex-spouses and two rival world powers who are forced to put aside their personal and political difficulties with each another to save life on Earth from certain global extinction. Has its intense moments. Good casting and decent performances.
November 22, 2009
A silly, kind of fun Sci-Fi made for TV flick about the sun setting ablaze to the Earth's atmosphere. The acting from star Mark Dacascos is good, for that cheesey B-movie acting, but the lead female is more unbelivable as a scientist then Jessica Alba is. The effects were decent and it was fun.
½ July 19, 2009
Late night television in Indonesia. It might be 2am, but hey, who can resist with a line like "Sir, we have absolute confirmation. New Zealand has been completely destroyed. And...there's still a happy ending!!
October 31, 2008
If I could have given this methane-smelling, rotten tomato a lower rating, I would have.

I rented the DVD in the hopes that this disaster movie would blame the sun, rather than you and I.

As it turned out, this piece of trash -- a poor production in every way -- was a polemic for global warming. It's fundamental premise was the hilarious assumption that the current concentration of methane gas in the atmosphere could at any moment catch fire (thanks, Mr. Sun) and burn up all the oxygen in a few minutes.

In the REAL world, methane gas has plateaued in the atmospheric concentrations. Much of the methane present is from non-manmade sources.

But most important, methane constitutes only 1.7 parts per MILLION particles in the atmosphere. You couldn't get that tiny amount of gas to ignite with a blowtorch.

This movie has two redeeming features:
1. It's only 90 minutes long -- and far shorter if you fast forward most if it, as I did.
2. It went straight to DVD. God forbid anyone would have paid good money to watch this pathetic production in a movie theatre.

For me, it was a freebie at Blockbuster (I use their mail rental service -- which is a better deal than Netflix), so I took grim satisfaction in knowing that the financiers of this bombastic piece of propaganda received almost nothing for my mildly negative review.
August 17, 2008
I stayed awake until the end :)
August 12, 2008
Not so smart movie but watchable :)
½ July 18, 2008
This is a good movie.Only it needed to be a little more intense.
June 28, 2008
Missed the beginning but otherwise very good movie^^
June 9, 2008
all-time bullshit. russian submarine, Dacascos and black president save the world. ridicolous movie + cheapest CGI
½ May 11, 2008
Hokey but entertaining in a tacky sort of way. The plot is of course ridiculous, the acting is not great. The special effects though were particularly disappointing. Mindless fluff.
½ March 18, 2008
Think of every disaster film you've ever seen. The Day After Tomorrow, Dante's Peak..alright, now think about disaster films that weren't horrible. Hmm...drawing blanks, I'll just say Jaws because they could have made him evolve into a more dangerous shark who walks on land, possibly the street even..! Odd that Street Sharks was a TMNT rip off, and Jabberjaw was Scooby Doo with a hint of gay, what does it tell you about sharks? That they can't be trusted to not rip off other non-shark cartoon characters. Back to my point, this movie was pretty god awful for a couple of reasons. A)Louis Gossett Jr. looks like a giant mass covered in a shirt, held upright by strings, with a goober on top for a head. B)Mark Dacascos wasn't an andorid who befreinds Kadeem Hardison. C) Flaming methane just doesn't seem that bad. What about nuclear meteors, or space wolves? Those at least sounds bad ass...but, flaming methane? It sounds like something people would do on Howard Stern's show. What's next? An apocalypse caused by an earthquake that was triggered by a giant Sibian? BOOM! I'm full of awesome movie ideas tonight! If you're in the mood for a disaster flick I recommend..wow, upon thinking about it I realized most/all disaster films blow...just rent Red Dawn.
½ March 6, 2008