Solarbabies - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Solarbabies Reviews

June 11, 2016
What can be said about this film? ... It's not good. It's pretty boring. But it does have an impressive cast just before they made it big. Honestly, Mel Brooks produced a Roger Corman film. I wish the end result was funnier in its badness.
½ May 6, 2016
Post apocalyptic rollerskating gangs. That should be enough to sit you down for 2 hours! But wait... there's a poorly animated alien - now you HAVE to watch it. The contrived plot mechanism of roller skates is just campy enough to be amusing; further to that you will recognize several familiar faces among the cast.
½ June 16, 2015
Why was this film ever made? Ouch!
January 2, 2015
I own it, I loved it back then, i still love it now.
December 3, 2014
I really enjoyed this movie!
½ September 5, 2014
The movie is set in the future where a group of kids live in a orphanage with no knowledge of the outside world. Water is scarce and a totalitarian government is in control of the water supply. A ruthless police force keeps everyone in line. The movie was very exciting with good special effects for the time period (1980s). I also fell in love with the fascinating orb, Bodhi.
½ June 27, 2013
Post apocalyptic world. And teens w/roller skates. When I first saw it in the 80's, my reaction was "WTF?!" Twentysix years later, my reaction is still "WTF?!"
½ June 20, 2013
From the writer of "The Wild Bunch" comes this terrible teenage sci-fi flick. The story is set in a post-apocalyptic police state where water is in short supply and a group of teens who play a game that appears to be a hybrid of Rollerball and floor hockey are led working in a concentration camp style orphanage. They then find a magical orb that helps them escape and find a few home free of their overseers. There's a surprisingly decent cast that includes adult actors Richard Jordan, Charles Durning and Bruce Payne, along with teen actors Jami Gertz, Jason Patric, Lukas Haas, James Le Gros, and Adrian Pasdar. And considering screenwriter Green's excellent filmography, I can only guess that he was brought in to script doctor an even worse script. In any case, it's a pretty terrible movie with not much to recommend other than getting to see a bunch of future stars in teenage roles.
May 4, 2013
I'm certain that if I saw this today, I'd be less than impressed. But I'm going off of childhood memories on this one. Roller derby games with Lukas Haas, Jamie Gertz, Jason Patric, and Adrian Pasdar can't be all that bad.
April 8, 2013
Where has this little gem been my whole life.
November 17, 2012
Complete 80s cheese.
November 8, 2012
not bad so a older movie... worth watching again if you can find it
½ November 1, 2012
I don't care what others say (Stewart), I love this movie!
September 21, 2012
I tend to give 80s sci-fi a lot of leeway, simply because of the ingenuity of the era. But Solarbabies; oh my no. It's a much diluted Road Warrior-esque dystopic society where water is in short supply. The main new thing the film brings to the table is that the teens travel around on roller-skates. Totally rad! And then there's a spherical alien thing that at one point they play lacrosse with. I'm pretty sure the script was written in a roller-rink by pre-pubescent townies on weed. I give the film some marks for at least having heart, and there's a few faces I was amused to see (keep an eye out for Adrian Pasdar, if you're a Heroes fan).
July 23, 2012
Oh, I love this movie. I remember it as a kid! It's been a long time since I've see it though. Wish it was released on DVD but I guess I'll just have to wait.
May 12, 2012
watched most of it before i stopped because i thought it was too wierd.
August 23, 2011
I've loved this film since I was a kid. An amazing film!!
August 21, 2011
This childhood film took me by surprise when I found on Instant Netflix so I decided to watch it. Sure it's corny and full of bad acting/ editing cuts, but it was a cliche of everything 80's. Forget Molly Ringwald, Jami Gertz is the true queen of the 80's!
June 27, 2011
So this was one of the weirder movies I've seen in awhile. In fact it was so weird it was kind of funny, which I guess made it worth watching. Surprisingly, being a child of the eighties, I hadn't actually watched too many movies from that time ( I was stuck on the tv shows apparently) and so I'm making up for it now by watching a few. I can definitely see why that whole decade was considered a bit odd now.

It's a post-apocalyptic future where children are gathered and sent to camps that will force them to become a part of the Eco-Protectorate (a group that controls the dwindling water supply). At this camp their main function is to roll around on roller skates it would seem, playing games. They sometimes sneak off the camps to play games though and at one such time something wonderful happens. One little boy, Daniel, finds a mysterious orb of light that he names Bodhai that can do wondrous things and he and his friends (a roller team called the Solarbabies) must protect it at all costs. They also find a new goal for themselves, to save the water from the evil Eco Protectorate. The only problem is it is near impossible to escape from the camps, and when Daniel goes missing, they have to find a way to rescue him.

Richard Jordan as Grock
Frank Converse as Greentree
Terrence Mann as Ivor
Alexei Sayle as Malice
Bruce Payne as Dogger

The characters are very eighties in this movie. They've got the big hair, big attitude, and love to skate with a whole lot of drama mixed in. The bad guys are complete evil with no redeeming qualities and also have big hair. Throw in some weird dance scenes and that should pretty much round out the picture of this cast. None of them were particularly good actors in my opinion, but as said before the movie was so amusing I could almost ignore that.

The plot seemed fairly standard for a post-apocalyptic world. They have to save a resource and share it with the people, in this case water. The roller skates though, added a whole new dimension. There wasn't anywhere these kids couldn't skate. Made me want to go put on a pair myself and roll through my lawn just to see if it was skate-able. Probably a good thing I didn't though because I don't think it would have gone as smoothly as their skating. Since its a kids movie it is appropriate for all ages and I can see younger viewers identifying with Daniel pretty easy as he was a cute kid who gets to play with the mysterious ball of light.

Definitely a weird movie but if you haven't seen it, give it a watch just for a giggle. It is average in all ways, but highly amusing.

Review by M. Reynard 2011