Solarbabies - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Solarbabies Reviews

August 11, 2017
This movie must be watched for exactly one reason : it's excellent MST3K fodder! Get this plot : Roller skating teen orphans battle dune buggy driving water-hoarder Nazis for possession of an alien bowling ball. It's Mad Max squashed up against ET and The Mighty Ducks!
½ May 6, 2017
In a dystopian future, kids on roller skates escape from a desert orphan camp to follow a glowing alien orb on a quest to free the water. Did I mention that the skates have lights?
March 25, 2017
Even for the ridiculousness of it, this is a pretty fun kids movie from the 80s. Great chemistry among the cast makes it more endearing than it has any right to be.
June 11, 2016
What can be said about this film? ... It's not good. It's pretty boring. But it does have an impressive cast just before they made it big. Honestly, Mel Brooks produced a Roger Corman film. I wish the end result was funnier in its badness.
½ May 6, 2016
Post apocalyptic rollerskating gangs. That should be enough to sit you down for 2 hours! But wait... there's a poorly animated alien - now you HAVE to watch it. The contrived plot mechanism of roller skates is just campy enough to be amusing; further to that you will recognize several familiar faces among the cast.
½ June 16, 2015
Why was this film ever made? Ouch!
January 2, 2015
I own it, I loved it back then, i still love it now.
December 3, 2014
I really enjoyed this movie!
½ September 5, 2014
The movie is set in the future where a group of kids live in a orphanage with no knowledge of the outside world. Water is scarce and a totalitarian government is in control of the water supply. A ruthless police force keeps everyone in line. The movie was very exciting with good special effects for the time period (1980s). I also fell in love with the fascinating orb, Bodhi.
½ June 27, 2013
Post apocalyptic world. And teens w/roller skates. When I first saw it in the 80's, my reaction was "WTF?!" Twentysix years later, my reaction is still "WTF?!"
½ June 20, 2013
From the writer of "The Wild Bunch" comes this terrible teenage sci-fi flick. The story is set in a post-apocalyptic police state where water is in short supply and a group of teens who play a game that appears to be a hybrid of Rollerball and floor hockey are led working in a concentration camp style orphanage. They then find a magical orb that helps them escape and find a few home free of their overseers. There's a surprisingly decent cast that includes adult actors Richard Jordan, Charles Durning and Bruce Payne, along with teen actors Jami Gertz, Jason Patric, Lukas Haas, James Le Gros, and Adrian Pasdar. And considering screenwriter Green's excellent filmography, I can only guess that he was brought in to script doctor an even worse script. In any case, it's a pretty terrible movie with not much to recommend other than getting to see a bunch of future stars in teenage roles.
May 4, 2013
I'm certain that if I saw this today, I'd be less than impressed. But I'm going off of childhood memories on this one. Roller derby games with Lukas Haas, Jamie Gertz, Jason Patric, and Adrian Pasdar can't be all that bad.
April 8, 2013
Where has this little gem been my whole life.
November 17, 2012
Complete 80s cheese.
November 8, 2012
not bad so a older movie... worth watching again if you can find it
½ November 1, 2012
I don't care what others say (Stewart), I love this movie!
September 21, 2012
I tend to give 80s sci-fi a lot of leeway, simply because of the ingenuity of the era. But Solarbabies; oh my no. It's a much diluted Road Warrior-esque dystopic society where water is in short supply. The main new thing the film brings to the table is that the teens travel around on roller-skates. Totally rad! And then there's a spherical alien thing that at one point they play lacrosse with. I'm pretty sure the script was written in a roller-rink by pre-pubescent townies on weed. I give the film some marks for at least having heart, and there's a few faces I was amused to see (keep an eye out for Adrian Pasdar, if you're a Heroes fan).
July 23, 2012
Oh, I love this movie. I remember it as a kid! It's been a long time since I've see it though. Wish it was released on DVD but I guess I'll just have to wait.
May 12, 2012
watched most of it before i stopped because i thought it was too wierd.