Solaris - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Solaris Reviews

February 2, 2016
Steven Soderbergh!!!
January 29, 2016
Solaris is a great concept and had the ability to be a really good film. However it is so confusing you really don't have a clue what is happening. It's a well acted film and that's what gives it 2 stars for me but I was left so confused by it and it leaves a lot unexplained which ultimately left me disappointed
½ December 23, 2015
George Clooney plays an ordinary psychologist who ventures into space to solve the mystery of why the crew of a space station and their rescue party have disappeared. Cause that seems like the logical choice for a space rescue. Why not just hire an oil rig worker instead? And why not go alone why you are at it there George. That's smart. Great setup writers.

Enjoy mesmerizing scenes of what could be improv dialog as Clooney slowly discovers what's been going on. Things start to happen, scenes change locations from darkly lit corridors, to darkly light rooms! It's epic!

Just when the action picks you might be thinking "Hey, this is like The Abyss and 2001 but only if those movies sucked." And you'd be correct. While the film does have some nice scenes and tries to create a slower paced movie there is much to be desired. From super close camera angles and a lack of scope or space that's included in other similar space tales. It makes this sci-fi tale rather void of fun and magic.

Clooney being a psychologist has no meaning in this film. That aspect was not explored, nor was his backstory or his character. Having career training in mastering human dialog and interactions it's strangely bizarre and out of character the way Clooney's character behaves to mysterious new people aboard the space station.

Sci-fi fans might want to steer their space ship away from this asteroid of a movie.

Their Tag Line - "There are some places man is not ready to go"
- Ya, Into the theater to see this movie.

Alternate Tag Lines

1. "You don't need to be a psychologist to figure out this thriller."
2. "Reasons why people find real space boring. Check."
3. "Rouge space station, cool effects, missing crew. No way can they mess this movie up. Right? "

Hits

- Nice concept, if a bit worn out.
- Naked George Clooney.
- The title sounds cool.

Misses

- Character development & plot.
- George Clooney's butt shown.
- Earth scenes don't look futuristic enough.
½ December 20, 2015
The rather slow moving psychological space flick may get too bogged down in over direction at points, but as time goes on this helps to build the lonely atmosphere which is eventually makes this a worthwhile re-imagining of the 1972 film. Instead of being just another sci-fi mystery in space, Solaris is a more psychological film with some great performances and sharp dialogue.
December 17, 2015
What an incredible inept promotion for this film. Solaris was shoved into some retrospect about relationships and lost love rather than the extraordinary sci-fi film that it was. The amazing affects of Solaris on the humans was the focal point and was along the same themes of the original novel. The trailers and promotional campaign did not convey accurately what the point of the film was or compel Sci-fi enthusiast to see it.
December 8, 2015
Slow-moving and quietly beautiful.
½ December 1, 2015
Steven Soderbergh's Solaris is a really good science fiction film that it's really interesting to see a talented director make a different genre that's not his usuals. The writing by Steven Soderbergh is really good, and the direction is well shotted. The effects are spectacular to look at and doesn't look like your typical space film. George Clooney and Natascha McElhone are great and have really good chemistry together. It's really well made, and the plot is pretty good, although very vague on the answers it provides. There are some good ideas in it, and the characters are pretty developed. It can be a little bit too slow for some viewers to handle, and while I don't think Solaris is a fantastic film, I still enjoyed it for what it was and it could've been so much worse, knowing that it's a remake of a film that has even more high praise than this film.
November 17, 2015
Hated this film ! It made no sense at all .
October 16, 2015
My favourite Clooney film and possibly my favourite Soderbergh. It's slow, sad and haunting and the score is beautiful.
September 19, 2015
What a waste of time.
September 17, 2015
When psychologist Chris Kelvin is asked to investigate the unexplained behavior of a small group of scientists aboard the space station Prometheus, he is shocked by what he finds upon his arrival. Kelvin discovers that his close friend, Gibarian, the mission's commander, has committed suicide. Also, he finds out that the two remaining scientists onboard are exhibiting signs of extreme stress and paranoia, seemingly caused by the results of their examination of the planet Solaris. Soon, Kelvin too becomes entrapped in the unique planet's mysteries. Solaris, somehow, presents him with a second chance at love and entreats him to change the course of a past relationship that has caused him overwhelming guilt and remorse. But can he really revisit the past and alter the course of events? Or is he fated to repeat its mistakes?
½ September 13, 2015
Soderbergh's casting is spot on and his world creation is ambitious but he fails on two counts, in regards to pace and story, both of which are badly jumbled in what one might argue is a rather pretentious manner. Soderbergh's inability to truly let Clooney command the screen is also frustrating in many ways. The result is an only interesting piece of obscure science fiction that fails to live up to the high standards of the original source material.
August 31, 2015
Too much naked Clooney.
½ August 8, 2015
I enjoyed the acting, the music and some of the visuals a hell of a lot but the story needed 2 be pushed further.
½ July 30, 2015
Uh, oh.

When the best Steven Soderbergh can do in his ill-advised remake of Andrei Tarkovsky classic masterpiece is give us a few of George Clooney's back-side it is painfully obvious that this entire movie is one huge mistake.

Drained of all real meaning, we are left with soft-focused view of depression and angst.
½ July 29, 2015
71%
Saw this on 27/7/15
Solaris is an ultimately pointless sci-fi drama with good visual effects that is ultimately letdown by it's 'love in outer space' formula. The film tries to deceive the audience into believing that it's a high minded movie, but somehow it's just nothing but a derivative of many other films. The cinematography and Soderbergh's direction are good though it could have been better with a sound screenplay.
July 14, 2015
A meditative slow burn about love and loss with a haunting cerebral musical score.
½ July 6, 2015
I am much more interested in the original Solaris.
June 18, 2015
There are some interesting ideas to think on but this movie is a very slow drag and I lost interest toward the end.
½ May 6, 2015
I bought this movie for cheap at a second-hand store. Being a big Sci-Fi guy, I've watched almost every movie there is of the genre but I had never heard of this one, which surprised me. But seeing the words "Soderbergh", "Cameron", and "Clooney" on the cover, my expectations were raised considerably.

What I got was a plodding, incoherent, far too deliberate mess.

I love George Clooney - he's a great actor, especially in "Ocean's", "The Descendants", and "The Monuments Men". However, he seems bored in this flick - he seems like he's in it as a favour for old pal Soderbergh.

I also like Natascha McElhone, very very much - The Truman Show showcased this greatly. But she's so off-course here, playing someone who feels artificial - well, ok, I guess that's the point - and bored at the same time.

This movie features way too much bad dialogue, awful CGI, Clooney's buttocks, and weird emphasis in sentenes. The set design is good, but the odd interfaces on the ship's displays and the constant flashbacks make this movie a derivative mess - a living nightmare.