Soldier in the Rain - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Soldier in the Rain Reviews

½ March 27, 2016
Terrible in every possible way. A slow-motion crash that is difficult and painful to watch.
March 14, 2015
I like this movie. I've seen it multiple times. Funny at times and a very emotional ending.
March 9, 2015
interesting off-beat comedy
February 7, 2015
A nice little duo (Steve McQueen and Jackie Gleason) they are, and they never fail to entertain. The film is short and sweet, just the way I like it. The ending wasn't what I was expecting, and didn't love it..But, besides the ending, its flawless.
½ February 11, 2014
Jackie Gleason was never appreciated as much as he deserved as an actor. Steve McQueen was of course a top performer and was well acknowledged as such. This is a terrific movie that shouldn't be missed Until that time Eustis...Until that time
½ August 23, 2013
Soldier in the Rain (1963)

This is a nice little army comedy with Jackie Gleason and Steve McQueen. It also stars many other great TV actors of the time.

Master Sergeant Maxwell Slaughter (Gleason) is basically running the base from his air-conditioned office with the help of Supply Sergeant Eustis Clay (McQueen). Maxwell is the cool, smart one (cooler than Steve McQueen!) and the mentor of the pair and tends to calm Eustis's many crazy, hair-brained schemes to make money when they get out of the Army.

Maxwell is dreaming of a far away island that he visited during the war, other than that, he's fine with being a lifer.

Bobby Jo Pepperdine (Tuesday Weld) is the perfect sex kitten for Maxwell, and lovely Frances McCoy (Chris Noel) is hot, paired with Eustis. The base MPs are on Eustis every chance they get.
½ December 23, 2012
Stupid and hilarious at the same time with some surprisingly dramatic moments. Through its two main co-stars gained timeless sentimental value.
½ December 15, 2012
Novelty of seeing Gleason and McQueen teamed up loses steam quickly. McQueen was born to play the tough guy. Proving this rule is this film, where he does not play the quintessential alpha dog. He hams it up and it just makes you sad. The pathos in the film comes out of nowhere and just hammers the nail in the coffin. Worth a glance or two but you're better off watching a double feature of Bullitt and an episode of The Honeymooners.
½ November 17, 2012
Steve McQeen and Jackie Gleason!!! "The King of Cool and The Great One" in the same movie!!! Can it be true!!! Yes!!! However , I liked the movie. It kinda make you feel sorry for Jackie Gleason's caricature. I don't think most people liked the film, but it's worth watching these two great actors work together.
July 17, 2012
Jackie Gleason demonstrates his genius for both comedy and drama in this little known film made in the late 50"s. His portrayal of Maxwell Slaugher is unforgettable and Steve McQueen's rare comic turn as Eustus Clay is funny, optimistic, sensetive, and hints at the huge star he will became. He rarely did a comedic role, and he is evidence of the cliche that "dying is easy; comedy is hard. Tuesday Weld is luminous, pathetic, and strangely tragic. I highly recommend this obscure film directed by Norman Jewison.
May 19, 2012
Fine low key comedy/drama written and produced by Blake Edwards, from a William Goldman novel, greatly deserving of more recognition and a wider audience The film features the great Jackie Gleason and Steve McQueen in an uncharacteristically goofy role. There's also a terrific Henry Mancini score to boot. The film has a unique and oddly melancholy tone, but it feels sincere and works for the film. A must see for McQueen and Gleason fans.
October 16, 2011
Terrific interaction by two contrary greats! Very under rated film.
January 18, 2009
While this is not particularly artistic, or even a very strong movie in terms of production values; the bittersweet comic acting from Jackie Gleason and Steve McQueen is worth the 90-minute journey. There are plenty of classic scenes, though a bit-dated by today's standards that will make you giggle shamelessly. To me, the Mancini score takes the movie up a notch too!
½ December 1, 2008
THE SYNOPSIS IS WRONG. This little seen movie has a young McQueen playing up to Gleeson. A great little movie about friendship. Enlisted man MsQueen befriends overweight Gleeson and gets him out to enjoy life, even hooking him up with Tuesday Weld. Nice bittersweet story.
½ May 4, 2008
Lost classic. Two greats. Sweet and sad little flick.
March 9, 2008
This movie has a lot of sentimental value to me and my family. lt's some good old fashioned light hearted comedy. lt's also one of the only movies l can think of where Steve McQueen doesn't play a serious role.
½ January 14, 2008
Really interesting film. See the serious side of Jackie Gleason.
January 10, 2008
These are "off-beat" roles for both Steve McQueen and Jackie Gleason.
July 6, 2007
I cried and cried, Steve McQueen and Jackie Gleason, how could you go wrong?
½ May 10, 2007
This is wonderful and Jackie Gleason is to good to be believed! Even Tuesday Weld is great.