Solo Con Tu Pareja - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Solo Con Tu Pareja Reviews

½ November 16, 2010
sorry, just a big solid no. shtick + stereotypical womanizing + those horrible 'T' and 'M' sweaters + the confusing japs + the window-side bath and bar of soap gag......
½ October 19, 2010
a fun, early film from alfonso cuaron which has the feel and shape of a shakespearean comedy. its bawdy, often verges on the ridiculous, but certainly entertains. certainly not as accomplished as some of cuarons more recent films, but is a good indication of his potential to balance a difficult story.
August 22, 2010
"Audaces fortuna iuvat, man."
"Who taught you all that bullshit?"
"The Jesuits. Why?"
"Just Wondering."
½ August 11, 2010
I liked that it was weird but many things didnt make sence at all
July 26, 2010
It feels much bigger than its budget, more artistic than its material. The story may have a few flaws, but Cuarón's style and methods make it a pretty strong recommendation.
½ June 16, 2010
Extremely funny movie. I was dying from laughing ...
½ June 14, 2010
Fairly low-brow Mexican slapstick from the early 1990s. Not sure why I was watching this - was it for Alfonso Cuaron, who would go on to do bigger and better things? Or was it the hint of a darker subtext that the HIV angle suggested to me on reading the blurb? I don't know. I think I was educated about the fact that there were some very attractive Mexican actresses active in the early 1990s. Not much else.
½ May 30, 2010
"Solo Con Tu Pareja" es la opera prima del director Alfonso Cuaron, quien luego hizo mucho mejores peliculas como "The Little Princess", "Y Tu Mama Tambien" o la brillante "Children of Men". Esta cinta carece de la ambicion de sus otros filmes y basicamente se define como una comedia sexual de enredos donde el protagonista va de cama en cama y luego se entera que tiene sida (aunque realmente no lo tiene).
La cinta da vueltas y vueltas y de repente nos hace sonreir con lo absurdo de sus situaciones sin embargo esta no arriesga nada y al final se siente como un ejercicio comico que quiere rendir tributo a Pedro Almodovar y Woody Allen. Recomendable para aquellos que amen la filmografia de Cuaron, pero decepcionante si la comparamos con sus otras obras.
May 6, 2010
Fun frothy fluffy farce.
April 27, 2010
A comedy, but sometimes not funny at all
April 18, 2010
A surprisingly funny screwball comedy that works despite being about a man who is falsely accused of having AIDS and tries to kill himself. Beautifully shot, too, a striking debut.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
½ February 13, 2010
"Pick a peck of pickled pepper..."

Young yuppie and womanizer Tomas (Gimenez Cacho) is caught in a trap when falsely diagnosed with AIDS by Silvia (Liubomirova), a nurse who finds herself cheated by the young Casanova.

REVIEW
Tomas Tomas is an enthusiastic playboy adamant about not using condoms. When a scorned fling is put in a situation perfect for payback, she falsely marks his AIDS test positive, setting him off on a darkly comic quest to kill himself, but not before the love of his life finds out her husband is cheating on her and decides to end her own life as well. Tomas takes this opportunity to take her with him into death, as the one woman in his life, as far as we know, that he has a shred of respect for. This is revealed as he makes a list of the women he's slept with, laughing as he remembers their nick names, not necessarily even their real ones.

Visually, this film marks a point before Cuaron adopted his now staple handicam cinematography. The shots are graceful and smooth, the editing the same. It was gorgeous, with more than one shot inserted solely for the composition (off the top of my head, the vial of Tomas' blood filling up in front of a black background, though the room was white) At more than one time I felt like pausing the film just to take in the images.

While it marks a step toward what he will become, Solo Con Tu Pareja is a much more accessible and enjoyable film than the challenging ones that Cuaron eventually becomes known for. As a ribald comedy it succeeds, and it may be due to it's not trying to be. I'm not saying it's trying to be popcorn, but it also doesn't strive to change lives.
February 9, 2010
You can't go wrong with drunk japaneses singing whit mariachis...
January 3, 2010
An adorably hilarious film about a player and the price he pays (sort of).
December 20, 2009
Social commentry presented in an unorthodox cmmedy ... really fun to watch :-)
½ October 19, 2009
"Without a love, there is no salvation" This is a good Cuaron movie! I wonder if he wrote it based on his experience...
October 9, 2009
no es un peliculon, pero a mi me gusta y me divierte mucho de mis peliculas mex favoritas.
½ August 25, 2009
very funny, a little grotesque and endowed with some great shots! Italian title "Uno per tutte"
August 17, 2009
Aug 09 - Quite Funny but very shallow.
May 30, 2009
maybe you thought Y Tu Mama Tambien was too dark and arty. Cuaron's first feature is as screwball as YTMT was existential, and as existential as YTMT was screwball. On top of first class sex farce, you have bold colors and great art direction.