Solomon Kane - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Solomon Kane Reviews

March 12, 2018
REally like this movie.
½ February 19, 2018
You would think with all the rain they get in this film there would be a lot of slipping, sliding and getting muddy, guess they forgot to tell make up that.
½ February 17, 2018
A badass pirate man kills a bunch of people.
The Devil doesn't like that for some reason, so he sends his Reaper to collect the guy's soul.
The badass pirate man gets scared, runs away, and swears to be peaceful so the Devil will leave him alone. For some reason, this doesn't work, and to save the day he has to kill a bunch of people...

Why would The Devil have a problem with some dude killing a bunch of people? Isn't evil, like, kind of his thing? And why would he try to get the guy to kill more people by capturing and enslaving a whole bunch of random people for no reason?

I'm sure the answers to my questions are somewhere in the film, but I only made it aboiy 20 minutes in before turning it off.

The plot is all over the place, the characters are dull and one dimensional, the dialogue is hard to take seriously because it takes itself TOO seriously, and the cinematography is super bland.

Maybe I was expecting too much out of an action movie, but even the action was fairly dull and seemed restricted by budget in the oddest places possible.

I'm just glad I didn't spend money on it. Please take this trash off Netflix.
January 21, 2018
'Solomon Kane' doesn't stray one bit from its genre and has no interest in pretending to be anything other than what it is: a bloody, violent and dark medieval/fantasy epic with an impressive production design, thrilling action-sequences and an arse-kicking main character, strengthened by Purefoy's intense and satisfying performance. Narrative and characters are inconsequential here, apparently, leading them to be paper-thin and somewhat corny. It's not going to win any awards and the final act is pretty weak, but it is what it is, and what it is is entertaining.
December 30, 2017
This is by far the deepest and most legit movie i have ever seen. The characters are so well done made and the acting is near perfection. Good movie.
December 13, 2017
A gem of a British film not really talked enough about. It deserves much credit for its cinematography and large action sword fights. james Purefoy is Solomon Kane through and through with a redemption and heroic burst of character steers the film and story to the end. Has gore and grit, it deserved a sequial.
½ October 6, 2017
I'll watch anything with the late great Pete Postlethwaithe and he was his usual excellent self here. A good role for James Purefoy as well. Although at first it seemed a bit much, the film got better as it went on and had more of a purpose, if you can say that about this genre of flick. Worth a watch if you like sword and sorcery.
½ October 1, 2017
Really boring film. Didn't get what was happening in half of it.
September 2, 2017
Derivative and histrionic, but it has its moments.
½ August 27, 2017
Need just a bit more, but thought it adapted well. $8
½ August 14, 2017
I was looking for something similar to Constantine. I love that movie. This one is basically a film you want to watch if you like the premise of the devil after someone's soul, you like the fighting from Lord of the rings (Way more Gore), and you like the idea of a guy redeeming himself. It's not an endearing movie unfortunately. Great action. Love the devil and the reaper. But it's just basically an action movie. I didn't necessarily feel drawn to anyone. But I loved the music, I loved how dark it was, I loved the fighting, and it was a good mindless movie.
July 19, 2017
Good action movie, I liked James Purefoy ever since I saw him in A Knights Tale, both good movies
July 8, 2017
Outstanding adaptation of Howard's character. The lack of need for an origin aside, it's an origin that fits textually with the character, from, "I once led a band of ungodly men in awful deeds, though the cause was just," to "Mayhap the redemption of my soul." A film that Howard himself would've loved; it's a damned shame that distrubutor screwups didn't result in a widespread theatrical release, and sabotaged the opportunity for the two planned sequels, which would've seen the direct adaptation of Kane's African adventures against a city of vampires.
July 1, 2017
Awesome movie
Love the time period
Good special effects

Must see!
June 1, 2017
I goddamn love this movie
May 16, 2017
So, it's a bit all over the place, a bit cliched, a bit rubbish but its bloomin' entertaining. and rattles along at a fine old pace like the accompanying rain. Sorcerers, swordsmen and much buckle and swash make up for a pretty weak story which nevertheless throws up enough hurdles over which our hero must hop in order to earn his stripes.
½ April 24, 2017
A much more enjoyable flick than I had anticipated. Glad I watched it but it's a one-time only movie in that you wouldn't watch it twice.
February 28, 2017
Despite the mediocre story and cliched filmmaking, Solomon Kane remains an entertaining action piece powered by James Purefoy's excellent performance.
½ January 7, 2017
Despite the inconsistent pace, it's a straightforward and enjoyable trek about a character who seeks personal redemption.
November 28, 2016
Saw this on 28/11/16
Albeit suffering from a generic plotline, Solomon Kane succeeds to a certain extent due to its craft, especially the cinematography, atmosphere, gore and good VFX. It's not a disappointing film and James Purefoy is good as the lead notwithstanding his poor voice.