Some Freaks Reviews

• Aug 21, 2019

Miserable people who are violent, homophobic, and sexist. None seem to transform themselves nor learn any lessons of compassion or self love.

• Jun 19, 2019

It's painfully obvious that the critics who've reviewed this movie are primarily in the 35+ crowd, and I'll explain why. The depiction of high school is ridiculously unrealistic. Not only in the way that no staff ever seem present, no rules ever enforced, no one ever actually *doing* something...but also in the idea that a high school in 2017 would consider the main character grotesquely overweight. She's pretty chubby, or might I say "thicc." But not worth moo-ing at. Not to mention the characteristic that makes her a so-called "freak" is her weight alone. It's 2017...a year in which numerous Americans are obese and yet healthy lifestyle is trendy and picking up pace. Being a heavyset teenager isn't out of the norm, certainly a far cry from "freakish." The gay character Elmo is a whole other set of writing problems. His character is basically "the annoyingly loud, socially-inept nerd" but gay...most definitely written by someone who has never met a gay man before. His character doesn't make any sense; boring at best and pretentious (on behalf of the writers) at worst. His character serves almost no real purpose in the plot, except for to ruin the ending of the movie. Which, by the way, is absolutely horrible. And Matt is, for the most part, an unremarkable character. However, where this movie fails in it's completely unsatisfactory ending and bizarre depiction of youth, it excels in portraying *emotion* The conflicts between the characters feel organic, passionate, and almost tangible. The movie tackles selfishness and entitlement in a fiery, entertaining manner. A lot of this is due to the skill of the actors. While I couldn't care less for the movie as a whole, there are definitely certain scenes I could stand to watch again. Or certain bits of dialogue worth hearing again.

• Aug 29, 2018

To me, the movie was way to boring and the how the movie was filmed was not interesting at all, I understand that the movie's aim was probably to raise awareness on bullying, self-esteem, body shaming and accepting urself and others. but i feel like it was poorly executed.

• Jan 13, 2018

What a nice surprise. An original Netflix movie that deals with growing up in a real way. Thomas Mann gives a wonderful, as usual, performance and everyone delivers the depth needed about how peoples unique qualities actually make them more functional in the real world.

• Dec 23, 2017

storyline was choppy and ending made me. mad.

storyline was choppy and ending made me. mad.

• Dec 20, 2017

A great film about what it is like to be different in high school and bullied for it. Despite trying to make changes to fit in the characters realise that it is harder than they think. Lily May Harrington is amazing in this heartbreaking coming of age film.

• Aug 30, 2017

Fantastic film! Every who has ever experienced being different than the norm will love it!

• Aug 27, 2017

Absolutely no likable characters, with no positive message. I'd rather go into surgery than watch this crapstorm again.

• Aug 18, 2017

A movie for people who completely have no self assurance and pride. Who care nothing about themselves. Sick shit. Sick sick shit.

• Aug 14, 2017

Lily Mae Harrington's portrayal of Jill in "Some Freaks" was edgy and complex. As Jill, Lily Mae stands up to the brutal reality of bullying with hard core defiance and independence. Harrington grips her audience by the throat, not giving us a choice but to peer in at her intimate struggle with self, love and friendship. Check out "Some Freaks" for its laser sharp image of three teenagers' journey towards self-discovery.