Some Girls - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Some Girls Reviews

December 14, 2009
The late 1980s would be a Patrick Dempsey time. He was in a lot of movies where he played a, well, a playboy. This is just one of those movies. But I found this film a little more interesting than most of his films. The girl he loves in the film is Jennifer Connelly. But her early acting abilities were just not that good. She was in it for eye candy probably. The story is this young guy dealing with the girl he likes family and mostly her sisters. In a way all the sisters want him. Plus the family all in all is just strange. The three sisters are referenced as the Three Graces. The Three Graces were the goddesses of charm, beauty and creativity. The charm part really shows in this film. But the scenes that stick out the most in this film that I enjoyed were with Lila Kedrova. It was more of a dramatic part with her and Patrick Dempsey's character. No one really paid attention to her in the crazy family except for him and he wasn't even related. The movie had a lot of hidden meanings and that is what made it a little more interesting to watch.
½ December 14, 2009
November 9, 2009
Unusual mix of 80s teen comedy and European art film. I liked it, but I'm not sure exactly why. Oh well, the enjoying is far more important than the knowing.
October 5, 2009
What the hell is the point of this movie!?? It's rediculous and BORING! I didn't even care why the family was so crazy.
½ July 14, 2009
This was weird, with a meandering plot and oddball characters. It teases the viewer with the idea that the dude has stumbled upon some kind of Addams family, but then it reins things in and they appear somewhat normal. There was a metric ton of pointless dialogue that "builds" to an unsatisfying "conclusion," if that's what you want to call it. What makes the least amount of sense, however, is why "Mikey" sticks around when his girlfriend ends up jerking him around every other scene.
July 7, 2009
i liked, and it was sad when the grandma died,but i still dont see why all 3 sister all wanted to sleep with him,he's to skinny.
June 25, 2009
Dempsey was funny, and it actually wasn't a bad movie. It had a sweet story.
½ March 27, 2009
A not so steamy bedroom romp, starring a young Patrick "McDreamy" Dempsey and Jennifer Connelly as college sweethearts who spend Christmas vacation at her family home in Montreal. Immediately on arrival, Gaby (Connelly) tells Michael (Dempsey) that she doesn't love him anymore. Her two sisters then try him on for size, but it is granny, who mistakes him for her long dead husband (also named Michael) that steals his heart. Lots of 80's hair, a father who is writing a book in the nude and assorted other eccentrics populate this manor house, but in the end, the story was pretty lame. This viewer kept hoping it would at least rise to the level of camp, but unfortunately, it never quite made it. Recommended for hardcore Patrick Dempsey fans only and only if one desparately wants to see what he would look like as a wet behind the ears twenty-something with the acting chops woefully underdeveloped. Watch Belle Epoque for a much more entertaining treatment of a man choosing between multiple sisters.
½ March 3, 2009
I agree with the guy who said it has a strange deepness to it. Well put. ..
The women all had beauty and sensuality with uncertainty bubbling underneath.
February 26, 2009
First I saw loverboy with Patrick Dempsey, and that was pretty decent. Now this. Im very impressed. This film was unpredictable and absolutely always entertaing. Dempsey just wanted to marry that one girl but her sisters kept tryin to seduce him, so he didnt kno wut to do. great film though, i recommend.
February 16, 2009
Was recently introduced to this movie and absolutely loved it. 'Nuff said.
January 29, 2009
i dont remember it so well...
January 18, 2009
i didnt think it was too good of movie.. very lame...
½ December 27, 2008
Most of the girls I was involved with were like these sisters. So the movie became an exercise in patience.
½ December 25, 2008
This movie is funny and enjoyable, and has a strange deepness to it that I can not yet fully explain or comprehend. I really liked this movie.
½ November 23, 2008
T'inquiète, Roger, je te l'amène.
September 21, 2008
Pretty lame 80s teenage sex romp. I have to say, though, I was *shocked* that Patrick Dempsey went full-frontal! He is definitely *not* big. Sorry, Patrick. Still love ya!:)
July 29, 2008
An enjoyable and quirky 80s flick that still entertains 20 year later. The cast, including Patrick Dempsey, who I often bash on, was great! The actresses playing the sisters, especially Jennifer Connelly and Sheila Kelley, were especially charming.
July 18, 2008
I remember this as a teen, & it was different & funny, still is a unique film, yeah still funny...yeah in my big teen Patrick Dempsey/River Phoenix/Bono/Sting days
June 18, 2008
Some Girls is one of those rare little movies that are so often swept under the carpet by studios.
This movie has a odd history and has been mostly ignored by critics and fans.
I saw it first late one night many years ago and luckily saved it to VHS so I could share it with others.
At first I was attracted to it for the ever lovely Jennifer Connelly, but soon realized it was full of other little treasures.
This is a simple story of a boy, Michael (Patrick Dempsey) going to his recent ex-girlfriend's, Gabbie (Jennifer Connelly) house in Toronto for the Christmas Holidays.
He doesn't really know why he has been invited, but hopes it is to get back together.
He meets the odd cast of characters that make up her family.
Her 2 lovely sisters (Sheila Kelley and Ashley Greenfield) and the haughty mysterious mother (Florinda Bolkan).
Probably the most famous actor in the movie is Andre Gregory, of "My Dinner With Andre" fame, as the Father.
The thing about this movie is that the love story doesn't work, in fact it is never supposed to work.
Instead we experience the main character's confusion as he attempts to figure out the mysterious actions of this girl who broke his heart.
This is a movie for men who feel lost in the mystery that is "woman", and in the end we find the wisdom of the father who states you could live with his wife or any of his daughters for a hundred years and never really know them, and yet this is no reason to walk away.
He is happy to simply be allowed to share a life with these mysterious females.
I have met women like this, and have experienced that exact emotion.
Women with this quality rarely acknowledge it and are most often completely oblivious to the effect they have over men.
While the main love story is doomed from the start, a new love story happens in a very odd way when we meet Granny, played by the amazing veteran Russian actress Lila Kedrova.
Check her out on imdb sometime.
What a history.
She steals every scene she is in, and when she is being warmed up at the fire by Patrick Dempsey in the lodge after she has been wandering in the snow for days, in her semi-delusional state she keep mistaking Patrick Dempsey for her long dead husband , also called Michael, and launches into several breahtaking speeches about the love of her life.
The entire movie is worth watching just for her.
At the end of the movie we learn that the real love story was between Granny and her long dead husband, but Patrick Dempsey gets to taste just a hint of what that love was like, and it matures him to the point where he can finally accept the truth of Gabbie's feeling for him.
This movie has been ignored for a long time.
It reappeared briefly when Jennifer Connelly's star rose to prominence after "A Beautiful Mind", and again more recently with Patrick Dempsey's renewed career from TV's "Gray's Anatomy".
Sheila Kelly went on to a decent film career, but Ashley Greenfield disappeared after this.

I hope more people will see this movie and appreciate it for what it is.
Not a silly teen sex comedy, but instead homage to lovely mysterious women.
I had never heard of Lila Kedrova until his movie, and wish more of her movies were available.