Some Voices - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Some Voices Reviews

April 21, 2012
Daniel Craig swerves and narrowly avoids the normal pitfalls of playing cuckoo crazy in this restrained schizophrenic drama.
February 21, 2012
Interesting film which centres around the life of a recently discharged mental patient (Daniel Craig) and how he struggles to cope with life in the big bad world. Worth a watch.
October 2, 2010
It's a mixed bag this one. Daniel Craig gives an excellent performance never straying in to the obvious exaggerations so beloved of Academy Award winning portrayals of the disabled, but it has an uneven story with a slow and slightly weak ending.
April 1, 2010
A comedy about mental illness!

Daniel Craig can act!

Has a good, though predictable story with good strong performances from Daniel, David and Kelly. Lots of comedy, drama, action, emotion - sounds like a bollywood flick!!!
March 10, 2010
Weird.

Laura: Squeeze the breath out of me. It makes me feel safe.
½ November 24, 2009
This is a pre-Bond Daniel Craig film where he plays a middle aged man beset by mental illness and paranoia and denial about his condition. He doesn't trust the pills his brother (David Morrissey) is giving him and he finds it hard to relate to other people and communicate in a way we consider socially acceptable. He then falls into a relationship with a Scottish girl (Kelly MacDonald) who is pregnant by her ex-boyfriend, but he loves her and the happiness she brings convinces him that he doesn't need medical help, so he goes on a hiatus from the pills and things slowly spiral downwards from here on in.

I didn't recognise Daniel Craig at all when the film began as he looks so different - older actually, compared to how he is now! He is excellent in this, managing to portray a difficult and complex condition in an authentic and discerning way. I'm not a huge fan of Daniel Craig, but this is certainly one of his break out performances. It's a very strong British ensemble actually, and that adds to the credence of the film and the characters. The relationship between Ray and Laura is lovely to watch because you are routing for them both to be happy together. And there are some overly romantic implausible scenes to enjoy as well - watching as she comes out onto the balcony to see him standing on the beach in the middle of a crop circle he has drawn in the sand is pure gooey.

The problem was the script - it was all too neat; too much of an exemplary tick the boxes screenplay. He meets girl, he's happy, he gives up pills, he starts becoming paranoid, he becomes erratic and unstable, there's a big explosive climax, and then an ending where he's recovering and EVERYTHING IS GOING TO BE OK. I think they could have been a bit more inventive and imaginative with the storyline and his behaviour. If he had been a bit more up and down throughout the film it might have created a bit more excitement and interest about what's going to happen in the end. Instead it was pretty predictable and unoriginal. That said, the film didn't over schmaltz things too much (there is all the cooking scenes with his brother...) and that saves the film from being completely innocuous.

It reminded me of a film I saw recently called 'Adam', where the girl needs saving by someone who thinks and sees the world differently to her but ultimately that difference means they can never permanently be together. I think it's nye impossible to have a good mental illness/disability film with romance being a key genre, and I don't expect there to ever be one (this coming from a girl who hasn't seen Rain Man or A Beautiful Mind - shhhh!).

The acting and chemistry between all the cast was good and this was definitely one of the better efforts coming out of the British film house. It's worth seeing if it's ever on but don't expect to be profoundly blown away by it.
December 7, 2008
One of the only Craig films I haven't seen but can't get a copy of this in the US.
October 17, 2008
My favourite film at the moment!!! Daniel Craig is very good in this film and I fell in love with his character Ray, he's so vurnerable and also funny and I love this film so much! I hope this iwll come out on DVD very soon, as I need a copy! This will be shown on Film4 on 27th October 2008, few days before the new Bond film release. Watch it.
April 14, 2008
some told me that, this is one of Craig best performances. gotta see it.
March 25, 2008
Quite good, a typical sara choice. Not so good continuity and Daniel Craig was having a very bad hair day! Worth a look though if you don't want something uplifting.
March 20, 2008
A wonderful film showing Daniel Craig's versatile acting.Loved the mix of funny/touching moments. I would love a copy of this, but can't get one anywhere....
½ March 2, 2008
Sweet, beautfiul and touching... Not to mention funny at times. Loved it; crazy people rule!
February 21, 2008
A beautifully acted, touching film - one of my all time favourites. All the actors were great but if you have only seen Daniel Craig as Bond this will be a real eye opener to just what a good actor he is. The synopsis here really does not describe what the film is about at all. It's a story about love and madness.
January 3, 2008
Fabulous movie! One of Daniel Craig's best!!
October 29, 2007
this was on film 4 a few months ago and i had just got in and decided to watch it. daniel craig was awesome.and i loved the relationship between his character and his brother.
October 28, 2007
ones of daniel craigs best chracters to date (except bond)
very smooth acting and an original story line
½ October 28, 2007
Not lived with schizophrenia so wouldn't be able to have an opinion on the camera work i.e. whether it's used a device to sensationalise the condition or whether that's exactly what happens same issues arose with me in Hilary and Jackie. However I did like the chemistry between Kelly Macdonald and Daniel Craig's character, the relationship between them both felt natural. I also felt David Morrisey put in reasonably decent performance as Craig's character's brother. Not the best British film, not the best approach to examining what it's like to live with the condition but well worth watching on Film 4 at 1am!
October 27, 2007
Pretty decent film starring pre-fame Craig. The story draws you in and sustains you throughout. Always a good sign.
October 17, 2007
I have only seen this flim once but I loved it it is a brillent british flim and Danile Craig's best preformance by far!