Somebody Up There Likes Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Somebody Up There Likes Me Reviews

½ June 14, 2016
2X lost review always seems 2 happen when i got something good 2 say!!
½ October 18, 2015
Possibly the worst movie I have EVER seen. No actually after thinking about it, it IS the worst movie I have EVER seen. It is not funny and the plot makes no sense. Avoid at all costs.
January 23, 2015
byington does a great job with this one -- looking forward to his future projects
January 23, 2015
such a good movie!! so funny!! really enjoyed it
October 19, 2014
Unapologetically quirky good.
September 29, 2014
nick offerman is everything
August 20, 2014
I am going to pass on this one.
August 16, 2014
Weird and almost typically indie. Great music and great dialogue. Can be frustrating because the story is a little vague, and I personally was too stupid to understand the ending, but the movie remained charming all the way through.
March 22, 2014
Somebody up there likes me is abode with uninteresting characters doing nothing interesting led by an actor doing an irritating performance without any charisma. This is a film that thinks if a lot more witty and unique than it actually is. It is more of a combination of Wes Anderson meets Miranda July but miserably without any of the true heart or whimsy.
½ January 26, 2014
A thoughtful, funny, and poetic independent film that touches on both the transience and lasting impact of major life events. The friendship between the characters played by Nick Offerman and Keith Poulson seems to anchor the film with a humor and sincerity that gives a charming and sometimes moretling perspective on how modern lives unfold over time, for better and for worse. Ultimately a really great, entertaining, and funny dark comedy.
½ December 31, 2013
The chemistry between Offerman and Poulson is undeniably funny, but Somebody Up There Likes Me is without an enthralling story or any eminent style.
December 24, 2013
Complete shit. The characters are either disposable or vacuous with about as much depth as a pool of spit. The story beats could have been interesting in another directors hands, one who wasn't overly impressed with his ironic sense of humor.

Weird pacing, framing, and photography.
December 7, 2013
this is the epitome of how NOT to do things in life...i think everyone should watch it.
Pretty good! Not bad!
December 4, 2013
Somebody Up There Likes Me was truly one of the most refreshing comedies I have come across in a long time. What makes it solid as a comedy is that the humor is more on the subtle side. Furthermore, the movie finds laughter in the everyday situations, both grim and light. Unlike most comedies, which tend to throw tired jokes at their audiences, Somebody Up There Likes Me doesn't contain funny gags, but rather funny people, whose humorous qualities come from each of their own unique existences and the specific places they are in their lives.

The idea that life is continues while you remain in the same mental place was illustrated in such an effective way. The fact that the main character Max never ages throughout the film really showed that despite the passing of time, some of us remain stuck in a certain time in our lives that we are never able to fully escape no matter what happens to us along the way. This is something most people fail to consider; yet many experience.

The world of Somebody Up There Likes Me is also an element that really stands out. While the story takes place in the real world, there is still something otherworldly about the environment these characters exist in. The fact that Max never ages, the fact that his therapist is only halfway present and the fact that social backgrounds change in the blink of an eye all work to make a sort of heightened reality that is at once magical and relatable. All in all, this film was definitely a surprise to encounter; one of those movies that come your way, only to leave you wondering why it hadn't found you earlier.
December 4, 2013
Bob Byington's latest feature is a master class in deadpan comedy. It's an outrageously funny character study of Max (Keith Poulson), in which we get to see almost his entire adult life played out in 76 mins. It's funny, fresh, and it gets better every time you watch it. Absolutely see this films!
November 4, 2013
This is a very weird, very indie, very quirky film set in a very strange world. Definitely not for everybody but I enjoyed the oddness of it all. Also, Nick Offerman for the win.
October 16, 2013
Weird. Just plain weird
½ October 15, 2013
It must want to be like a Wes Anderson film, but it lacks the attention to detail and the aesthetic that Anderson brings to his films. The story doesn't even seem to be coherent or cohesive, and the storytelling suffers consequently.
October 14, 2013
Thirty-five years in the life of a waiter who goes through three lovers and one friend, while not visibly aging thanks to a magical suitcase. The detached twee style is unusual, like a sub-anesthetic dose of Wes Anderson, but this experiment in deadpan absurd comedy isn't particularly successful or meaningful.