Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You Reviews

November 6, 2014
It was very preschool. The things it addressed are things that everyone feels and gets over when they're young. It was pretty dumb. I'm tired of people making movies just to make movies. We need more depth and an interesting story.
September 6, 2014
A dor nem chega a doer.
½ May 29, 2014
Good (not great), but worth the time. Kinda "Holden Caulfield," but not quite.
May 28, 2014
I really liked this movie because it is the story of a young introvert dealing with the chaotic energy of society and family.
December 13, 2013
Life and love through the eyes of a hyper intellect young man. Very funny and witty.

It is directed by the Italian Roberto Faezan. With a distinct non-American feel to the story line, this movie is not well received but I like it very much. I see the doings of other in the eyes of James, critical of others' "silliness" and "shallowness". Mother being a arty New Age sentimentalist, father being a shallow capitalist with common vanity, and "Mr. Roger" being all folksy earnest regret -- all reasonable courses for being critical. But our young man, played by the epicene Toby Regbo, learned his lesson of how to love others in the terms of their own world.
½ October 17, 2013
What a shame. The book is wonderful, and the cast looks great on paper, but this is where it all falls through. The actors do their best to battle on through a badly written script, but the adaption to screen just hasn't been done well enough - the acting comes across as painfully wooden.
October 6, 2013
I tried to watch this movie, but I didn't relate to any of these characters and lost interest in it before the halfway point.
½ September 1, 2013
The book, as always the case in many adaptations, is way way better. It does not matter that the other critics did not read, or might even have no clue that there is a book written, the movie is still bad even without its counterpart literature to compare to.
½ August 8, 2013
Someday the pain from watching this film will not be useful to me. I honestly struggled to get through it. It was slow and I failed to take an interest in it.
June 21, 2013
I enjoyed this flick about the times and trials of a HS grad to find himself in NYC with his divorcee mom, vain dad and self-indulgent sister
June 11, 2013
Both Christopher Lambert and Sean Connery reprise their roles from the original. There is a bit of strange revisionist history going on with the origin story and timelines and the whole thing doesn't make a lot of sense. It borders on slapstick at times.
It's constantly regarded as one of the worst films ever made, and I've gotta say I'm not gonna mount a strong disagreement there.
I give Highlander 2: The Quickening, one half of one star.

Still better than this film though.
June 5, 2013
While the film lacks in depth and originality, it still delivers with heart and some fine acting by Burstyn and Harden. Toby Regbo brings depth and soul to his character and carries this film. Hope this young man will find future roles suited to his potential.
½ May 2, 2013
Come il libro superficiale con l'aggravante dell'essere impreciso nell'adattare il testo cosa che tipicamente m fa imbestialire.
½ March 29, 2013
Although very preventable and a bit stereotypic, the movie is dazed and this makes it more enjoyable than not. I don't understand just one point: why the character of the "life coach" has been so remarked in the synopsis, when in the end is so superficial in the totality of the movie? Boh!
March 9, 2013
Sweet but not moving.
½ December 27, 2012
If you're a reflective introvert
I recommend it. I loved it. If you're r adhd, extrovert then it may be a little slow going for you.
December 24, 2012
A terrible score and a frustrating conclusion almost derail the whole thing. Luckily, the performances elevate this to greatness, especially from Toby Regbo, who is so unbelievably good that it's hard to take your eyes off of him.
½ December 24, 2012
Whilst the books inspires and enlightens, the movie fell flat.
½ November 16, 2012
a bunch of rich white people whining about non-problems