Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You Reviews

December 12, 2013
Life and love through the eyes of a hyper intellect young man. Very funny and witty.

It is directed by the Italian Roberto Faezan. With a distinct non-American feel to the story line, this movie is not well received but I like it very much. I see the doings of other in the eyes of James, critical of others' "silliness" and "shallowness". Mother being a arty New Age sentimentalist, father being a shallow capitalist with common vanity, and "Mr. Roger" being all folksy earnest regret -- all reasonable courses for being critical. But our young man, played by the epicene Toby Regbo, learned his lesson of how to love others in the terms of their own world.
November 6, 2014
It was very preschool. The things it addressed are things that everyone feels and gets over when they're young. It was pretty dumb. I'm tired of people making movies just to make movies. We need more depth and an interesting story.
½ May 29, 2014
Good (not great), but worth the time. Kinda "Holden Caulfield," but not quite.
½ October 17, 2013
What a shame. The book is wonderful, and the cast looks great on paper, but this is where it all falls through. The actors do their best to battle on through a badly written script, but the adaption to screen just hasn't been done well enough - the acting comes across as painfully wooden.
½ August 20, 2013
The book, as always the case in many adaptations, is way way better. It does not matter that the other critics did not read, or might even have no clue that there is a book written, the movie is still bad even without its counterpart literature to compare to.
½ August 8, 2013
Someday the pain from watching this film will not be useful to me. I honestly struggled to get through it. It was slow and I failed to take an interest in it.
June 11, 2013
Both Christopher Lambert and Sean Connery reprise their roles from the original. There is a bit of strange revisionist history going on with the origin story and timelines and the whole thing doesn't make a lot of sense. It borders on slapstick at times.
It's constantly regarded as one of the worst films ever made, and I've gotta say I'm not gonna mount a strong disagreement there.
I give Highlander 2: The Quickening, one half of one star.

Still better than this film though.
June 5, 2013
While the film lacks in depth and originality, it still delivers with heart and some fine acting by Burstyn and Harden. Toby Regbo brings depth and soul to his character and carries this film. Hope this young man will find future roles suited to his potential.
½ July 10, 2012
Whilst the books inspires and enlightens, the movie fell flat.
October 26, 2012
This filmed touched me in ways no other has. Every actor in this film is highly talented and they make the film even more exciting to watch. The shots of NYC are amazing and the music is dead on. Faenza and Heyman did an excellent job in writing a screenplay that is effective and persuasive. I left this movie with a new perspective on love and relationships, which is exactly what I look for in a film.
October 26, 2012
I LOVE this movie! Every scene managed to move me in a positive way. I would definitely see this movie again, except this time I would bring a friend or a family member along. SOMEDAY THIS PAIN WILL BE USEFUL TO YOU IS A MUST SEE!
October 26, 2012
Loved this movie! I thought Toby Regbo did a great job in this charming coming-of-age film. Also, how can you go wrong with Peter Gallagher and Marcia Gay Harden? Definitely check it out!
October 26, 2012
Love Love LOVE this movie! Ridiculously amazing cast that pulls off so many of the elements you want to see in a film: funny, heart-warming, exciting, beautiful and true to life. Saw it with both friends & family - everyone enjoyed it!
October 25, 2012
This may be an over-produced Hallmark Channel television movie , but the cast's charm and performance makes provides its own comedic charm. The plot is very relatable to the standard introvert. A stronger ending and neater tying up of loose ends would have made it a more solid teen movie.
October 24, 2012
Great movie with an awesome cast! A thought-provoking and entertaining coming-of-age film led by promising newcomer Toby Regbo, who plays his character of James with enormous depth and emotion. I would definitely recommend seeing this film!
October 16, 2012
A talented cast at their best! Can't go wrong with an ensemble featuring Peter Gallagher and Lucy Liu. Hollywood's brightest talents all in one film!! Honestly, doesn't get any better.. Can't wait to see what's to come from Toby Regbo.
October 16, 2012
Saw this at Miami's Tower Theater. Nice Indie flick.
October 16, 2012
Such an amazing cast! You really feel for each and every character by the end of the film. Toby Regbo is relatable and graceful in his portrayal of James Sveck, I can't wait to see what he does next!
October 16, 2012
"Someday This Pain Will Be Useful to You" captures how being an introverted teenager feels TO the teenager. Much of the conflict lies in the internal battle the protagonist has with himself, though the dysfunction in the world around him (i.e. his crazy family) amplifies his feelings of not belonging. The lead, Toby Regbo, displays phenomenal prowess in his portrayal of the confused James, who seems to be drowning in the struggles of being 17.

That being said, one needs to enter the film in an independent / art film frame of mind. Though focusing on a high school protagonist, this isn't "Superbad" or "Mean Girls" where the concrete goals are getting the girl/guy or throwing the best party of their high school lives. "Someday" is more subtle, an emotional look at how one teenager's isolation truly feels like the end of the world to him. And who hasn't felt that at one point?
October 15, 2012
Toby Regbo gives an outstanding performance, surrounded by skilled talent paid off. Great coming of age film!