Something from Nothing: The Art of Rap - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Something from Nothing: The Art of Rap Reviews

March 14, 2016
More a historical document than a documentary this is still required viewing for any Hip Hop fan. Ice T has basically sat down with everyone he loves in the genre and asked them to talk about rapping, display one of their own raps and also bust out a classic which influenced them. There is nothing more to this film, but if you're a fan of the art form you don't really need anything else.
August 16, 2015
While the documentary wish they had a few more people in it
August 13, 2015
The fact that Ice is friends with everyone makes a big difference as you can tell that the artist are being 100% real. The overall production value is top notch and the music is mind blowing. If you have never seen free styling seeing KRS and Eminem do it will blow your mind. Another thing that was cool was Kanye's interview.The documentary seems to run a little too long for this sort of subject matter. Perhaps if you're a die-hard fan of rap, you won't believe so. As an insightful look at the medium, it manages to wander into that sort of territory, but never does it gridlock itself to that area. It too manages to incorporate freestyles, jokes, old memories, and extensive interviews all in its runtime. On second thought, maybe it isn't too long at all.
½ July 28, 2015
Avec The Art of Rap, Ice-T et Andy Baybutt n'ont aucune ambition narrative ni même aucun envie de raconter l'histoire du rap. Ce qui les intéresse ici, c'est le processus créatif du hip-hop, la manière dont les grands du genre écrivent et posent sur un beat. De témoignages en témoignages, en passant par des a capella de Nas, Grandmaster Caz, Kanye West (étrangement sympathique), Immortal Technique ou encore Doug E. Fresh, The Art of Rap est un film passionnant et très original. Ice-T et Baybutt ne sont jamais aussi bons que lorsqu'ils laissent la musique et le skill faire leur magie, sur des images d'hélicoptère de coucher de soleil à New York, Detroit ou Los Angeles. Il est dommage que la partie à Los Angeles soit beaucoup moins réussie que celle de New York. Heureusement, elle dure 3 fois moins longtemps.
½ May 21, 2015
Ice-T is hosting a rap documentary and we get to know famous artist from the very beginning until more recent days. It's pretty informing and it tell you the basic story of each artists. They bust a few raps and let you in on some of their tricks and ways of making music, but it's rearly give away super interesting facts.

We get to see people from Grandmaster Cas to Snoop, Melle Mel to Kanye and from B-Real to Q-tip. If you don't know anything about rap you will get a lot out of the flick, but if you know your history it won't bring much to the table.

5.5 out of 10 bars.
January 19, 2015
Outstanding.. hip-hop at its best..
November 28, 2014
A doc for real hip hop heads, not fans.
½ September 29, 2014
Tearing down the walls between listener and performer, Ice T asks some of the most renowned MCs what the art of rap is to them. To-the-point, no-nonsense wisdom, spoken and spit by the masters of the game, reveals the origins and impetus of the art form.
August 23, 2014
Loved it. Amazing skills on didplay. History, present day. Takes you back to memories from your own timeline.
½ June 29, 2014
Need more hip hop documentaries like these
June 5, 2014
Even though the documentary does not delve as deep into rap as art form as I hoped, it's still a great collection of legendary rappers & raps for anyone that's into the music genre.
½ May 14, 2014
If your a big hip-hop head this is a classic. If your kind of into hip-hop this is one of the top documentary for you to watch to understand the art. I've watched many rap/hip-hop documentary but this one sums up the essence. I can't help but feel like Ice-T was very selective with how long he let each interview go, and can't help but feel like he held some jewels out on us.
March 15, 2014
"It's an insider's celebration of the form, studded with straight-to-camera rhymesmithery from its best practitioners."
February 9, 2014
GREAT LITTLE DOC MOVIE REALLY TAKES YOU ON A PAST AND PRESENT HISTORY OF THE GAME OF RAP
AND AS A HUGE FAN OF HIP HOP AND RAP THIS WAS STILL EYE OPENING WATCH GREAT MOVIE ICE T DID AND GREAT JOB SPEAKING TO THE RAPPERS BUT THERE WERE LOADS MISSING IN MY VIEW NO METH NO DMX NO ICP NO JAY Z NO DIDDY NO DRAKE NO NICKI MINAJ NO WAYNE NO T.I. JUST TO NAME A FEW BUT ALL IN A GREAT LITTLE DOC BEST WAS EMINEM AND DRE 7/10
February 2, 2014
This is a great film, but I just want to be a purist for a minute. During the end credits when they list deceased rappers they put H.A.W.K. and later on your see Big HAWK. Just so everyone knows... thats the same person. Kinda gridded my gears.
January 23, 2014
A must for any rap/hip-hop fan, this is a great documentary by Ice-T which consists of an hour and a half of interviews with various faces in rap music talking about their inspirations and favourite verses by other rappers. Excellent.
½ December 26, 2013
Anyone interested in hip-hop should watch this. The interviews are awesome
December 21, 2013
Beautiful (honestly incredible) urban shots and nice stories. For me the only problem is not what's in the movie, but what isn't - names like Keith Edward, Kool Herc, etc. are way too important to skip. It is , however, a great documentary in it's own right.
November 18, 2013
I don't like rap to begin with, but seriously, this documentary was awful. It gave us nothing interesting or new really, I didn't see the point to it.
½ October 27, 2013