Something New - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Something New Reviews

½ October 12, 2016
It's charming and more than it has to be.
January 15, 2016
Netflix recently added Something New. It has some sexy makeout scenes between two beautiful people and a happy ending, making it a chick flick romance.

The potentially tough subject of interracial dating, with cultural differences, is bravely taken on here by director Sanaa Hamri.

While there are often subcultures in any racial group, I really haven't seen much of the kind of black subculture portrayed in this.

Simon Baker's character Brian Kelly is not the rich and dominant type. Instead, he's like his waggy-tailed dog: almost too good-natured and tolerant. A lover, not a fighter. He puts up with quite a bit from his love interest Kenya McQueen, played by Sanaa Lathan.

Interestingly, the director's first name is also Sanaa. What are the odds?

While Brian is driving to Kenya's to look at her backyard for a possible landscaping project, he is listening to something ethnic, presumably North African or Middle Eastern music, loudly. Perhaps the director loves that stuff, seems like an oops that a white American man would be listening to it like that, but who knows?

Kenya is a picky and prickly woman, but apparently Brian likes this type, because he's patient, persistent, and going out of his way to give it every chance to happen, in spite of her obvious reluctance and prejudice against dating white men. She finds herself falling for Brian, in spite of her hopes to find the perfect black man. Clearly, in this one, the black girl is the one with racial prejudice, while the white guy is a very tolerant open-minded racially open type of guy. He even prefers her naturally curly hair over the long straight weave. The optimistic Brian helps bring some color and beauty into Kenya's drab and controlled life.

Kenya realizes she just can't do this interracial dating thing; it's complicated. She cuts Brian loose just as her dream man, Mark Harper played by Blair Underwood, shows up. Dating Brian helped her learn more about herself and what she really wants, and she is starting to see things differently.

It's fun to see Simon Baker take on a challenging role like this and make it look surprisingly easy. I give Sanaa Lathan credit too; it takes some guts to do a role like this.
January 7, 2016
Going into this, I wasn't expecting very much. A romantic comedy among the many that just glosses over the difficulties of interracial relationships for the sake of maintaining the light atmosphere of most rom-coms. In that aspect, I was pleasantly surprised. The internal conflict within the female MC, Kenya, was well maintained throughout the movie, even though I felt like she was a bit too rude towards Brian from the get-go. As a black girl myself, I feel that even though she wasn't emotionally ready for the societal implications of dating a white man, she should have at least been cordial towards him out of respect that he was willing to look past skin color and date a black girl. Building on that, because she was so cold towards Brian for most of the movie, I was a little blindsided when they started making out in the woods and slept together within the same day. I feel like they could have eased us into the that better. BUT I did have a good time watching the movie. I can totally relate to Kenya and her girlfriends. I too have a tendency to build up the perfect guy in my head and possibly doom myself to being forever alone because of it. I guess I too have to learn to "let go and let flow" haha.
August 23, 2015
A romantic drama full of one-dimensional characters and an obvious plot where a adequate cast and strong emotion carries it through...the Mentalist got some game though.
½ August 22, 2015
Nice to see an interracial movie where the black woman is desired.
August 9, 2015
Tired, worn, racist trash. This crappy garbage constantly insults white people. In the space of a few minutes, a black woman is slammed repeatedly for dating a "white boy." If the roles were reversed, people would be outraged. I gave this film a chance and it sucked. Instead of watching this, watch a rerun of Gilligan's Island. Notice how hot Mary Ann was. Or watch the Twilight Zone. Or old Star Trek. Watch paint dry. Anything but this.
December 17, 2014
White field worker and black business woman fall in love despite insurmountable odds.
November 13, 2014
This was a cute movie!
½ November 4, 2014
Great pairing. Love the two of them in this movie. Shows that love is more than skin deep.
October 5, 2014
Kenya McQueen (Sanaa Lathan) is a successful, single African American woman who has sacrificed romance in order to pursue a career as a corporate finance manager. Her obsessive compulsive desire for perfection and control has manifested itself in the bland, monochromatic decor of her new home and the rigid rules she follows in her personal life. Urged to loosen up by her friends, Kenya accepts a blind date with landscape architect Brian Kelly (Simon Baker) arranged by her co-worker Leah Cahan (Katharine Towne), who is in the process of planning the kind of wedding Kenya wants herself. The two meet at Starbucks, and she is surprised to discover Brian is white. She quickly excuses herself and leaves.The two unexpectedly meet again at a party at Leah's parents' home, where Brian landscaped the grounds. Impressed with his work, Kenya decides to hire him to renovate her unkempt backyard garden. As time passes, their employer-employee relationship evolves into a friendship and then love.Although Brian is helping her feel more comfortable about her living environment, Kenya finds it difficult to dismiss her reservations about their romance. The opinions of her girlfriends Cheryl (Wendy Raquel Robinson), Nedra (Taraji P. Henson), and Suzette (Golden Brooks), her upper class parents Joyce (Alfre Woodard) and Edmond (Earl Billings), and her womanizing younger brother Nelson (Donald Faison) begin to have a deleterious effect and Brian's unwillingness to discuss issues of color drives them apart.Nelson introduces his sister to someone she views as a more acceptable suitor, tax attorney Mark Harper (Blair Underwood), who has just relocated to Los Angeles. The two begin to date, and while Joyce thoroughly approves, Edmond senses his daughter is not as happy as she was with Brian. Everything Kenya thought she wanted suddenly seems immaterial, and nothing Mark does ignites a spark between them. When the dissonance she's developed finally overwhelms her, Kenya chooses to reunite with Brian, no longer allowing her controlling nature and social norms to dictate matters of the heart.Kenya marries Brian amongst their closest friends and loved ones.
September 2, 2014
Great movie, both stars do a great job. Never get tired of seeing the moive.
March 16, 2014
Sophisticated, silly, and sexy.
January 8, 2014
-- I just like this movie ??
December 26, 2013
Watched it just because of Sanaa Lathan but it ended up being surprisingly good. Deals with interracial relationships and they don't go over the top with it.
December 14, 2013
i know thisw movie is a chick flick but my God am still floating. its really great, has a great message about love and race. wen we see outside wat every1 else sees of us then we can really be ourselves. the best
December 1, 2013
highly recommend it.
November 28, 2013
This movie made me look at white man in a different light!!!
November 24, 2013
( 2.5 stars ) Something New is a rom-com designed for the cerebral type, hewing to the classic hate-you-love-you shtick but managing to touch (albeit liberally) on the issue of racism, classism, and the many social and personal aspects of sex and love. And the intelligent conversation and emotive pacing at the very beginning excited my enthusiasm, and the leads carry everything well, but... and this is a but with a capital B... Seriously, this film ends up going all over the place. Where it should have lingered to allow character development it cut to another shot, and where it should have let silence reign, it allowed music to bombard the scene. And yet the love interests's chemistry, the family interaction, and comedic set-ups were smart and subtle. It just needed more room to breathe, to let us get close to the characters and battle their demons and contradictions along with them, but damn if it turned into a music video more than once or twice. More than decent, but still disappointing.
September 26, 2013
An interesting take on inter-racial relationships. Entertaining, enlightening, and romantic.
½ September 8, 2013
This was such a cute film to watch. Is it an Oscar worthy film? Absolutely not, however it's a great movie to watch with your girlfriends over a glass of wine.