Something of Value (Africa Ablaze) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Something of Value (Africa Ablaze) Reviews

½ December 6, 2014
Something of Value is an excellent film. It is about Kimani who soon finds that different races are treated differently even though he grew up with Peter. Rock Hudson and Sidney Poitier give amazing performances. The screenplay is well written. Richard Brooks did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama.
January 19, 2013
filmed on location this historical pic is good
½ June 15, 2010
I hadn't heard of this movie before it came on Turner Classic Movies the other day. Rock Hudson playing a straight guy. Sidney Poitier playing a Mau Mau fighter. I have to admit that the story was engaging on a number of levels. I enjoyed seeing great actors doing what they do!

I'm not sure that I would recommend the movie unless you are a fan of Hudson or Poitier ... or if you want to see a story about the origin of the Mau Mau.
½ November 3, 2009
the movie was fair. neither Hudson nor Poitier were stellar in their roles. interesting that it was made in the era of the anti-colonial insurgency. the story is compelling and worth watching for 'educational' purposes.
September 3, 2009
Extraordinary, truthful film about the effects of colonialism and racism. It's interesting that this film, based on the book by Richard Ruark, came out in 1957: a time of tumultuous change beginning to re-shape the world as we know it today. It was the same year Ghana became the first African country to win its independence and the Little Rock Nine faced violent, racist resistance in their efforts at integration and equality.