Something Wild - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Something Wild Reviews

July 22, 2017
Somehow this one passed me by and what a mistake that has been for me. The best I've ever seen Jeff Daniels and Melanie Griffith, they play a couple who "go wild" for a minute, taking us along for the typical romcom ride, however more comically sophisticated.The landscape is an America rarely seen in film, one that I recognized as real though it was 30 years old. Really a great film! And then Ray Liotta shows up. Jonathon Demme, the director, should go far. And a to die for soundtrack.
May 13, 2017
Nearly 3 and a half stars.
April 30, 2017
Early signs of Demme's genius and style sprout from its core, which is loaded with delicious humor, twisted romance, and plenty of raw thrills.
March 22, 2017
Loved it. Saw in theater in 86. Fell in love with Melanie watching this. And Ray Liotta was scary. 30+ years since this came out.
½ September 17, 2016
Nearly two hours of foolishness. Dumb and reckless. (First and only full viewing - 2/20/2011)
May 19, 2016
Brilliant, fun and just like the title implies, wild. A film way ahead of its time. Loved it.
½ May 5, 2016
A buy the book businessman meets a wild girl who teaches him to let loose in this funny romp. It's the precursor to "Pretty Woman " but with interesting characters including a breakout performance by Ray Liotta.
November 14, 2015
besides the title bears no resemble to the 1961 pic of the same name but still a good com-dram
August 31, 2015
It's amazing to know that you just found out this movie exists, and it's a classic crime dramedy that's finely tuned and acted.
½ June 30, 2015
Brilliant performances, killer soundtrack and solid filmmaking. Unfortunately, there are several narrative issues that negatively affect tone and pace, bringing down what could may very well be a cult classic.
½ June 6, 2015
A really fun movie that is carried by three wonderful performances. The movie gets a bit more violent and dark towards the end than expected or that I felt necessary, but the movie ended the way it should have and it is a highly entertaining film from beginning to end. It's not a perfect movie, but with such great characters and acting I loved this movie.
½ April 26, 2015
This movie had it's moments, but overall I had a hard time caring about anything that was going on. Jeff Daniels and Melanie Griffith do really well on screen, but the direction fails a bit.
November 17, 2014
Good flick. Worth a few laughs. Not a lot of thought that stays with you after watching, or a moral to the story but that's ok.
½ October 21, 2014
You know when you see a trailer or hear about a film then when you see it, its not quite what you expected. This was kind of what I expected. The magical pixie dream girl comes to shake up the square. Not very funny but very predictable.
½ September 5, 2014
LIotta steals with little effort while the rest of this quirky movie also come up big.
August 30, 2014
Original rating of 3 stars holds after rewatch. Hadn't seen this one since the 90's.
It's a patchy 80's film with some fun fashions and situations, but it's not amazing.
Melanie looks much better with the black wig on, too, I have to say. The short blonde hair is horrific!
August 4, 2014
"Im Setting You Free..."

A truly offbeat, wild, odd yet enticing gem of a film that had me entirely engaged throughout. It was free on demand, so i figured I would check it out after looking at all of the positive reviews, and come to find out, I was in for a real treat. Something Wild is superbly addicting, utterly strange, insanely wild, funny as hell, gloriously entertaining and kind of disturbing, it has a bit pf everything fpr everyone I guess. its one of those films that gives the viewer the "I have a bad feeling. Or something bad is going to happen.) type of mindset. I guess I would call it psychological dark comedy or maybe a psychothriller of some sort, but one thing is for sure... its going to release ypur mind into one hell of a rollercoasting, twisting and turning thrill ride.
Acclaimed and Award-Winning Director Jonathan Demme (Married To The Mob, Silence Of The Lambs, Philadelphia, The Manchurian Candidate [The Remake*] Rachel Getting Married) I'm assuming really got noticed at the time this film was made in the last 80's. It sure did fly under my radar until recently. Something Wild reminded me of a mix between "Cape Fear" and "Fear" with some "Dumb And Dumber" thrown in throughout. Its underrated and if ypu come across it check it out... adults only, as it is quite worthy of its R-Rating.
Jeff Daniels gives a spot-on performance that's both commanding and brilliant, he shows early in his cateer why he is one of the best in the game and has a broad range of acting talent. Melanie Griffith is unbelievebly spectacular, the chemistry she and Jeff Daniels Portray is detailed and damn near pitch-perfect. Then there is Ray Liotta in a marvelously convincing role, the man plays a psychotic to a capital T, I mean he is an absolute menace in this film.
July 1, 2014
It's much more of a drama than a comedy but it's a fun ride.
June 9, 2014
A great comedic/romantic thriller that Jonathon Demme's best movie after Silence of the Lambs.
April 15, 2014
It was funny and thrilling and surprising and didn't make much money, though it should have been huge.