Something Wild - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Something Wild Reviews

May 19, 2016
Brilliant, fun and just like the title implies, wild. A film way ahead of its time. Loved it.
½ May 5, 2016
A buy the book businessman meets a wild girl who teaches him to let loose in this funny romp. It's the precursor to "Pretty Woman " but with interesting characters including a breakout performance by Ray Liotta.
November 14, 2015
besides the title bears no resemble to the 1961 pic of the same name but still a good com-dram
August 31, 2015
It's amazing to know that you just found out this movie exists, and it's a classic crime dramedy that's finely tuned and acted.
½ June 30, 2015
Brilliant performances, killer soundtrack and solid filmmaking. Unfortunately, there are several narrative issues that negatively affect tone and pace, bringing down what could may very well be a cult classic.
½ June 6, 2015
A really fun movie that is carried by three wonderful performances. The movie gets a bit more violent and dark towards the end than expected or that I felt necessary, but the movie ended the way it should have and it is a highly entertaining film from beginning to end. It's not a perfect movie, but with such great characters and acting I loved this movie.
½ April 26, 2015
This movie had it's moments, but overall I had a hard time caring about anything that was going on. Jeff Daniels and Melanie Griffith do really well on screen, but the direction fails a bit.
November 17, 2014
Good flick. Worth a few laughs. Not a lot of thought that stays with you after watching, or a moral to the story but that's ok.
½ October 21, 2014
You know when you see a trailer or hear about a film then when you see it, its not quite what you expected. This was kind of what I expected. The magical pixie dream girl comes to shake up the square. Not very funny but very predictable.
½ September 5, 2014
LIotta steals with little effort while the rest of this quirky movie also come up big.
August 30, 2014
Original rating of 3 stars holds after rewatch. Hadn't seen this one since the 90's.
It's a patchy 80's film with some fun fashions and situations, but it's not amazing.
Melanie looks much better with the black wig on, too, I have to say. The short blonde hair is horrific!
August 4, 2014
"Im Setting You Free..."

A truly offbeat, wild, odd yet enticing gem of a film that had me entirely engaged throughout. It was free on demand, so i figured I would check it out after looking at all of the positive reviews, and come to find out, I was in for a real treat. Something Wild is superbly addicting, utterly strange, insanely wild, funny as hell, gloriously entertaining and kind of disturbing, it has a bit pf everything fpr everyone I guess. its one of those films that gives the viewer the "I have a bad feeling. Or something bad is going to happen.) type of mindset. I guess I would call it psychological dark comedy or maybe a psychothriller of some sort, but one thing is for sure... its going to release ypur mind into one hell of a rollercoasting, twisting and turning thrill ride.
Acclaimed and Award-Winning Director Jonathan Demme (Married To The Mob, Silence Of The Lambs, Philadelphia, The Manchurian Candidate [The Remake*] Rachel Getting Married) I'm assuming really got noticed at the time this film was made in the last 80's. It sure did fly under my radar until recently. Something Wild reminded me of a mix between "Cape Fear" and "Fear" with some "Dumb And Dumber" thrown in throughout. Its underrated and if ypu come across it check it out... adults only, as it is quite worthy of its R-Rating.
Jeff Daniels gives a spot-on performance that's both commanding and brilliant, he shows early in his cateer why he is one of the best in the game and has a broad range of acting talent. Melanie Griffith is unbelievebly spectacular, the chemistry she and Jeff Daniels Portray is detailed and damn near pitch-perfect. Then there is Ray Liotta in a marvelously convincing role, the man plays a psychotic to a capital T, I mean he is an absolute menace in this film.
½ August 2, 2014
(First and only viewing - 2/20/2011)
July 1, 2014
It's much more of a drama than a comedy but it's a fun ride.
June 9, 2014
A great comedic/romantic thriller that Jonathon Demme's best movie after Silence of the Lambs.
April 15, 2014
It was funny and thrilling and surprising and didn't make much money, though it should have been huge.
February 13, 2014
Something Wild starts off as a free-spirited roadtrip film between a carefree woman named Lulu (Melanie Griffith) and a businessman named Charlie (Jeff Daniels) who meet as it seems by fate. Each time Lulu pushes Charlie he must gather the courage to leave his comfort zone and push the boundaries and simply live in the moment in order to appease Lulu and learn about himself. These events range from running on restaurant bills to robbery and other more childish and silly antics. Eventually they find themselves at Lulu's class reunion where they meet her ex-husband Ray (Ray Liotta in his film debut) who is a jealous and very dangerous entity of Lulu's past. The latter part of the film morphs into a type of darker thriller piece as Lulu and Charlie must overcome the terrifying Ray as he tries to rip the two apart and take Lulu back, whether she wants to be with him or not. The improvised bits of the film make for a very free-flowing narrative, especially in the first half of the film, and the performances from the cast are spot on with Jonathan Demme's story and direction.
½ December 19, 2013
Wandered upon this because Criterion. An entertaining flick whose greatest virtue is its unpredictability. Its influence on films as wide ranging as Buffalo 66 and True Romance is clear.
October 24, 2013
"It's better to be an alive dog, then a dead lion". If I had to choose only one thing I liked about this movie is the change in tone. The first hour or so of the movie is very comedic and light, the second half takes a very dark turn. There was one shot in particular that visually shows you the change from light to dark. The film stars Jeff Daniels, Melanie Griffith, and in his feature film debut Ray Liotta. All the actors are great and serve a purpose in the film, but the main leads arent the only ones who steal the show. If you know anything about Jonathan Demme, you know he likes to put weird extras in his movie. And they are just a hoot to notice them on screen. This film is a true gem of the mid to late 80s. It is extremely underrated and deserves to be more known. A true rarely seen masterpiece.
½ September 29, 2013
TV filming that is featureless and lacks shading or any kind of mood setting in the beginning. The actors are young and convey their parts well. Music is hip and supports the acts acceptably as the tension of ex-love pulses through the latter half of this movie which makes it a reasonable flick. Nibbles: Worthy of a Michelob and a pack of Chips.