Sometimes a Great Notion (Never Give an Inch) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sometimes a Great Notion (Never Give an Inch) Reviews

August 4, 2016
Just saw this for the first time about 2 weeks ago. Brilliant movie. One of my absolute favorites now. MUST SEE FLICK!!!
August 14, 2015
This was a great movie. It takes you back to a time when a man's word was law. A family business that refuses to break a contract that a company has a strike with causes serious tension. Even better though is the exchanges between Henry Fonda and his sons. This is what family use to be like from a time and a greatness in this country that has passed us by.
March 30, 2015
My favorite Paul Newman movie, and I love them all. I felt bad about the way he neglected his wife, but I still really liked his character. He was flawed in a honest and realistic way. This theme is so common with the roles Newman takes it makes me think maybe he's kind of like that in real life. What really makes this stand out from other good family dramas is the scene where buddy is trapped under the log. A very powerful scene that will leave you breathless. And to follow that up with a light-hearted ending. I don't know, this movie just seems very authentic to me.
July 22, 2014
The book this is based on is my all time favorite book. I saw this film in '72, and then got the book. There are so many layers and perspectives in the book they never could have been covered entirely in the film, but kudos to all because they did a fine job of translating Kesey's imagery.
I grew up in Oregon logging country. and the people who do this work. Book and film captured a way of life that doesn't exist exactly the same way any more.
I love this film. It's an old friend. And I own the VHS copy and am on 5th copy of the book.
I keep hoping the HBO or STARZ will make this into a mini series.
½ March 21, 2014
There is a really fantastic exciting scene in the film that makes everything worth watching. The film has two excellent performances by Paul Newman and Michael Sarrazin. The story is original and works with the premise. I recommend this drama.
November 28, 2013
While nothing could ever do justice to the book, the acting and cinematography are excellent, and it captures the complicated character studies of the book to the extent possible.
½ November 15, 2013
An excellent movie showing the hardships and loss of logging.
½ September 11, 2013
It's about 20 minutes too long, but with a cast as strong as this - you don't really mind. Richard Jaeckel, whose picture isn't shown on the cover, ends up being a nice surprise.
½ August 19, 2013
WOW an epic tragedy with true flawed but heroic characters. A great view.
June 10, 2013
It was a pretty decent film. Not a whole lot of action, but director Newman paced the movie quite nicely nonetheless and when that pacing does reach a climax, you'll find yourself on the edge of your seat. Also, the photography of the logging scenes are visually stunning.
June 3, 2013
Sometimes a great notion is Paul Newman's sophomore directing effort. This film occasionaly wanders from the novel from time to time. Newman takes full advantage of the beautifull Oregon locations and it really shows in the final product of the Shout! blu-ray edition. The scene near end with Newman and his brother Richard Jaekel is unforgettable. Henry Fonda is also fun to watch as the hard headed Patriarch.
April 19, 2013
Great movie almost cried a few times
February 3, 2013
Bob sure likes these depressing movies!
½ September 25, 2012
Intriguing premise, good performances, but the film can't seem to decide what it wants to be.
May 25, 2012
There wasn't even a 40-year anniversary special edition DVD. Or any DVD. What happened?
½ February 10, 2012
The result is surprisingly effective -- a sort of contemporary 'western' in the timber territory. Newman's handling of the outdoor scenes, especially those involving work, is -- like his own acting -- restrained but powerfully evocative.
December 26, 2011
I have chosen films over books for about a decade. 2012 will be a turnaround year.
November 19, 2011
Excellent drama about logging unions versus a family business in Oregon. The issues portrayed in this movie are still hot topics to this day. Tremendous cast led by Paul Newman and Henry Fonda make this movie appealing.
September 27, 2011
A decent family drama with good performances from Paul Newman and Henry Fonda. It also has one of the most horrifying deaths on screen I've ever seen, especially given its emotional weight in the story. The plot is kind of pointless and not very well defined (something about a logging union strike), but the family dynamic between all of the main characters comes through just fine, making this worth watching.
September 21, 2011
A very curious film. The characters and themes are much more complicated and morally grey than Ken Kesey's most-famous film, One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest. Conversely, or perhaps as a consequence, it seems like the movie deals with slightly less important issues. I left the film quite confused about how I was meant to feel, although perhaps this was a positive thing. Who were the "good guys"? Did they "win" or "lose"? Even if they had completely "won", would it still have been a empty victory?
The direction is excellent, and I found the lumber scenes to be one of the most tense I've seen!