Sometimes They Come Back - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Sometimes They Come Back Reviews

October 25, 2016
I remember seeing this on TV when I was a kid yet I didn't remember a lot of it
I only recalled that it involved a bunch of evil ghosts coming back to haunt someone
being based on a short story by Stephen King this is a crazy story about the past returning
a boy and his brother were terrorized by bullies on a train track and as a result one of them died
27 years go by and the younger brother has grown up, has a family and has a teaching job but all isn't well as the bullies come back to exact terrible revenge
the makeup effects showing the ghosts as being benevolent are freaky although its the only time this movie comes to being remotely scary
everything else is pretty typical but Stephen King knows how to prey on the innocent, the past never dies as it turns out
it's all about facing what you cant keep running away from
½ July 15, 2016
This movie is terrible. Bad acting, boring and slow paced. I didn't even make it all the way to the end. I was hoping the family would all get killed but apparently it has a feel good ending. Doesn't even keep King's original and more interesting ending,,which is a pretty sinister one. PS, you people posting fake good reviews should be ashamed. I actually started watching this crap because of you >:(
April 29, 2016
All critics sucks !

They always have some ego problem with Stephen King's work and no doubt it unleash upon his work. A typical King's suspense / mind-blowing thriller. It resonates even after 25 years.
April 21, 2016
This film is nuts and twiztd and crazy and nonsensical. Unfortunately, it's extremely boring and has a fairly mundane pacing. But the climax and ending is pretty amazing, which makes for a pretty interesting story with a high level of crypticnesss. A very interesting and fairly original film by Dino de Laurentis, you often feel that this Stephen King film is some kind of horror version of his coming-of-age drama, Stand By Me. It might as well have been. The film could have been shorter. And probably very well, should have been.
½ March 27, 2015
An overrated adaptation of Stephen King's work of the same name that has many unwarranted sequels.
February 7, 2015
low budget but great scary film
November 29, 2014
This is one Stephen King adaptation I'd never seen, though I'd always heard it wasn't very good and that rumor was right. Tim Matheson returns to his hometown as a high school teacher and then finds his childhood tormentors back from the dead and showing up in his class as students. This is territory King has mined before to great effect with "IT" and "Stand by Me" but this film felt like a cheaply made for cable USA channel flick. However, Matheson does give an earnest performance, as does Brooke Adams, who plays his wife, which does serve to ground the film. William Sanderson is also onboard and delivers a typically solid performance. Still this film would have been much better off as a 30 minute short film in "Cat's Eye" which is what it was originally planned to be instead of a feature length film.
½ November 23, 2014
I mean it was ok. Sad. Very bad boys who come back from the dead. I thought the car the bad boys drove in was cool. It's watchable.
½ April 15, 2014
Another Stephen king book turned into a film that take a huge nose dive!
½ April 12, 2014
Based on a Stephen King short story, Sometimes They Come Back is a dark, supernatural thriller. After a number of Jim Norman's students are murdered and mysteriously replaced by the undead, he's forced to confront the demons of his past. The acting is pretty mediocre and doesn't really capture the terror or intensity needed for a horror film. And, the plot meanders a bit and is a little vague on some points. It's a problematic film, but Sometimes They Come Back is able to deliver a few frights.
½ July 23, 2013
Not very good or interesting, rated R but doesn't meet the requirements if you ask me. Lame movie.
July 21, 2013
Probably my favourite short story adaptation of King's work even though they are major plot and character changes. The film doesn't lie and for 90% of it, it works very well and the make up and special effects are awesome. Another little nugget of B-movie gold from the mind of Stephen King.
April 30, 2013
I am going to pass on this one. It has not aged well and it is not a story that will hold my interest.
April 17, 2013
"Bring the wife and kid, it's fun for the whole family. HAHAHAHAHA". Sometimes They Come Back is pure cheese. It was made in the early 90's but resembles 80's camp. The effects are pretty bad, and there is constant over-acting, but luckily the last 35 minutes are tons of fun mainly due to some zany and wild performances from the greaser antagonists, and I actually teared up a bit at the very end. Sometimes They Come Back may not be a great film, but it is very fun and enjoyable... a great slice of camp.
½ December 22, 2012
Painfully bad. Even bad for the time it was made in and even bad for a Stephen King. Ugh!
December 12, 2012
Not bad. I find this to be an underated adaptation
December 7, 2012
Worth finding and watching!
October 25, 2012
Stephen King's story "Sometimes They Come Back" is transfered into another one of those fun movies based on his bright ideas.
½ October 13, 2012
Chilling villan's, good acting by Matheson, sort of sad ending