Somewhere - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Somewhere Reviews

½ October 22, 2015
Sofia Coppola is such a sensitive and talented director, and she seems to know well what she is talking about here, taking an interesting look at the meaningless life of an actor among empty pastimes and ephemeral pleasures. A delicate film that observes and shows a lot more than it says.
½ October 16, 2015
Some nice visuals and seems to be semi-autobiographical, but off putting and emotionally distant. Given that this is a character piece, I should want to spend time with the characters. I don't.
September 24, 2015
This will be one of those movies that I won't be able to remember its name in a few months or really that I ever watched it. Dorff and the little girl from "Super 8" both play their roles perfectly and I can imagine this is a lot of what celebrity is all about...Ferraris, hot sluts getting naked all the time throwing themselves at you, and traveling the world. It's a pretty good movie but not one you'd really watch more than once.
May 28, 2015
Sofia Coppola's soporific movies obviously aren't for everyone, but you should give them a chance. You're missing out. Like Lost in Translation, Somewhere is a deeply moving tale of a lost Hollywood actor and the joy his daughter brings to him. The meaning is in the scene. Watch how Stephen Dorff's character gazes at his daughter ice skating. Notice the subtle difference in his expression.
½ May 4, 2015
It took me near to three and a half hours to finish it. The movie very slowly approached it's plot, which very much like the ending, was extremely unclear. However, I did very much enjoy the characters, no matter how cliche they were. If anything, the relationship between father and daughter is what saved the whole film. It made me desperately wonder what life with a father would be like. But enough about me. Still so, I am left with far too many questions and no answers what so ever except just how shitty staying at the Chateau Marmont actually is.
½ February 13, 2015
'Somewhere' is an odd film. While it no doubt has some underlying themes that are similar to some of Coppola's previous work, it thankfully has enough to stand on its own. It's quite bold too, no dialogue is spoken for around a 1/7 of it and very little happens, it's all the well written character interactions that make it what it is but I would have liked some more. It's odd but it seems like the synopsis on most websites for what this film is about doesn't even happen until 40 minutes in, which surprised me, I understand you're supposed to have build up but it got a little much at some points and even when the synopsis does happen, it isn't for very long. I don't have problem with it though, I've seen films that haven't had their main plot kick in until an hour in and I like that approach, it's unique.

While we don't always need to relate to enjoy a film, it's naturally hard to feel sorry for an actor and his situation because people can't directly relate but whereas 'Lost in Translation' absolutely nailed that predicament, this film never got as close. I was never bored watching the film though and it went by very quickly, it's just that I felt distant and wished it had more of this excellent relationship. The relationship between father and daughter, when it happens, is excellently written and very natural, the actors actually spent some time together before filming and it seems to echo home for Coppola herself, in a way. The acting in the film is great, Stephen Dorff gives an excellent performance as does Elle Fanning. Dorff really threw himself in the role and fit well in it and he actually stayed at the Chateau Marmont, I later read that his role was actually written for him! And he also reminded me of Ben Affleck at parts. As previously stated, they work excellently with each other; there are other actors, that all do great jobs, especially Pontius as he was a lot of fun but this is their show. I even noticed Benicio del Toro in a very surprising and weird cameo, I was thinking, 'is that... Oh it is!', I could tell by his face who it was but it was still a weird little moment, I don't think I even paid attention to what was going on in that little scene, I was just so surprised! See if you can find him when you watch it! Sometimes though, just slightly, it did seem a bit forced just to show how disconnected he was. Really? He asked her why she wasn't at school and he didn't know it was a Sunday, or that he didn't know she had been doing ice skating for three years? Speaking of that scene, he kept looking at his phone and again, it felt forced.

The cinematography is gorgeous and has an interesting opening shot and the whole film has a trancelike quality, which is certainly a positive as it fits in with one of its themes and I found myself not being able to look away, regardless of whether I felt emotionally distant or not. It has a great soundtrack, a familiar sounding one to one of Coppola's previous films- that was the one I referenced at the start of this review. However, I do think that sometimes a shot was focused on too long and while for some of them it was the point, others it felt like it wasn't but funnily enough as soon as I thought about them being long; they stopped. The final shot of the film, while nice, felt like it was betraying everything that came before it and felt too clean for something like this, however, I felt like I could relate to that direct moment because of how I'm reviewing films again and I feel like I've watched the film at a really good time, but don't worry, I won't let that affect my score. I do love how subtle the film is though and it does portray its themes very well and it has some moments of absolute beauty, the scene by the pool is one of my favourites and it made me smile, the song playing in that scene is excellent too.

Overall, I liked it, it's confidently directed by Coppola and features a pair of excellent performances and it's a nice, little and different kind of story but I just wish it had more of the last half in the first and had more of an emotional impact but maybe that's my problem and it's on me? You know those films that people say aren't for everyone? Well, this is certainly one of them.
February 4, 2015
I thought the first half hour of this movie was so boring. Just endless shots that could be wrapped up in seconds. We get the point, he's a miserable and lonley man! But when the daughter came into the picture that is when things got good. But still I wanted more. I just think Sofia Coppola should think of new ideas rather than recycling the same story but in a different setting.
January 8, 2015
Watchable but annoying
December 10, 2014
I love Lost in Translation, so I don't mind a character-driven story and a relaxed pace, but this film lacks the nuance, the sharpness of script and the performances of the former Coppola film. I was bored really.
½ November 16, 2014
Love Stephen Dorff and Elle Fanning. Chris Pontius' role was also entertaining. Good movie.
½ November 4, 2014
At its awfully slow-paced rate, 'Somewhere' (2010) is nothing but director Sofia Coppola relying more on her film's realism than its actual story. So what's the plot? Well... the film follows the subtle neglected day-to-day life of a Hollywood actor, Johnny Marco (played by the talented Stephen Dorff). While taking care of his eleven-year-old daughter (played Elle Fanning), Johnny gets the time to bond with her and personally reexamine his life until the film draws to a somewhat encouraging yet ambiguous end. I like the nice chemistry between Dorff and Fanning, and the great soundtrack, but as a whole nothing really happens in this movie. It's like Sofia wanted to make something with the same tones of previous film, 'Lost in Translation' (2003), and ultimately it got lost.... in translation. If you have the patience and are very familiar with Sofia Coppola's work, this very might be up your alley. (You probably already have seen this!) But if you want a more straight-forward story, go try somewhere else....
½ September 25, 2014
Another snoozer from Sofia Coppola. This is actually worse than The Bling Ring, and I was shocked by this because I hated that movie. At this point, I'm thinking Lost in Translation was a fluke. The Virgin Suicides was pretty good, but nothing special. Everything else has been totally shallow and boring as hell.
August 18, 2014
Continuing Coppola's string of films chronicling the listless ennui of affluent people and their numbness to life, "Somewhere" captures the suffocating daily monotony of press junkets, photo shoots, and stripper poles and its ultimate emptiness without real human interaction.
August 18, 2014
Very much a subpar cousin/sibling/sequel of unrelated characters - to lost in translation - if this eminently similar and superior movie were not at large then this one would have far more merit.. decent movie in that vein ..
August 16, 2014
Kinda of long and boring at times. I still wanted to see it through.
½ August 11, 2014
A generally boring but gorgeous-looking movie with a crap ending.
August 10, 2014
Among the greatness that was "Lost in Translation," Sofia Coppola directs a very simple, yet elegant film that explores the life of a divorced actor who bnds with his daughter, taking her along on his trips. With many one-shot scenes, you can really immerse yourself in this world with the characters and when a movie can pull that off I love it. The big problem that this film has its that it is very simple and very slow, so I only recommend this film if you are willing to get into a film. Stephen Dorff and Elle Fanning are a believable father/daughter duo and nothing about them felt forced, aside from the fact that he is a huge movie star in the film and there are moments where he is able to drive a car around without anyone noticing. This is just a few nitpicks though, because "Somewhere" is a great film. Sofia Coppola has come along way in directing feature films and there is something about every one of her films that intrigues me. "Somewhere" is not a perfect film, but it is something special in my eyes.
August 8, 2014
In a hashtag: #Hollywoodproblems Don't watch if you want to be famous.
½ August 8, 2014
A fine existential take on life through the strange world of the actor. It's not unlike Coppola's 'Lost in Translation' with very similar themes and styles.
½ July 18, 2014
"Somewhere" is curiously flat, since Sofia Coppola explored the loneliness and isolation of celebrity to much greater effect in "Lost in Translation".