Somewhere Between - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Somewhere Between Reviews

½ September 9, 2016
Moving documentary about teenage girls who were adopted from China by American families, the many ways they feel torn between two cultures, and their yearning to know more about how/why their birth families abandoned them.
March 27, 2014
Beautifully done! Some very powerful moments and you can see these 4 teens really grow as a result of the very challenging journey they're on. The film really captures their stories and developing characters in a very touching way.
December 20, 2013
Dedicated to her own adopted Chinese daughter, Linda Goldstein Knowlton has created a raw and intimate love-letter carrying the message that the journeys and identities of each adopted child are unique, and sharing their stories gives new perspectives of what may or may not be important in the examination of our selves. Haley, Jenna, Ann, and Fang are incredibly strong young women, and America is so fortunate to be in their graces.
½ October 3, 2013
Packing, so netflix-ed something random. WOW. "Everyone is on his/her own journey. Except for us the journey goes two ways - forward and backward..." One of the girls featured, Jenni, is captivating. 2 related take-aways for me. 1. Aren't we all on two-way journeys? 2. Experiences by themselves are superficial. It is how we structure and interpret our own stories that provide us their significance, and thus chart the ways forward. That means, optimistically, that a lot about our states of being (if not our circumstances) are well within our command.
September 6, 2013
cant say it was exactly well done but some of the adoptees stories were moving.
August 26, 2013
This is a really touching documentary of Chinese adoptees in the US. If you are on Netflix, watch it. Why I watch this? Well, guess...
July 10, 2013
A very insightful and informative documentary which manages to be interesting as well as poignant.
June 13, 2013
Fantastic movie for those who are touched by transracial adoption.
April 17, 2013
This movie is horrifically out of date. The days when foreigners could adopt Chinese children are long past. The implications in this film reinforce the impression of a China of the 1990's, not the modern nation that is emerging to potentially lead the 21st century. While this film is poignant, the content is flippant, inaccurate, and potentially dangerous to the many adopted children in this world. Watch this film with the knowledge that it no longer reflects reality. You are watching a movie about a problem that occurred 20 years ago. They should have produced and brought this film to market much earlier. As it stands, it only reinforces many negative and incorrect stereotypes. (From someone who speaks Mandarin, knows China like the back of his hand, is adopted by parents of a different ethnicity, and is married to a Chinese woman). And as an adopted American... the problems the United States faces with its own foster care system now far outweigh the problems abandoned children face in China.
April 3, 2013
Movie #1 in my back-to-back documentaries on Chinese adoptions.
March 15, 2013
There are good people in this world.
½ March 8, 2013
A moving and beautiful film.
February 23, 2013
Wonderful and brilliant!
February 17, 2013
An educational documentary about Chinese adoptees. Worth watching for anyone considering adoption.
January 22, 2013
Go see this movie!! The inside look at these girls lives made me laugh,cry, etc.
January 22, 2013
A film about so much more than Chinese adoption. This film addresses identity and the search we all have to find out who we are and where we come from. Linda Goldstein Knowlton brilliantly shows the story of 4 girls adopted from China each exploring her own story.
½ January 10, 2013
By Al Alexander
For the Patriot Ledger
It's difficult enough for teenagers dealing with issues of identity and self-esteem. But imagine how much more intensified those feelings are for Chinese girls abandoned by their birth parents and shipped off to America to be raised by white families that are loving but uncomprehending of what it's like to grow up knowing nothing about your blood relatives.
After seeing Linda Goldstein Knowlton's haunting documentary "Somewhere Between," I can tell you that it's heartbreaking. And it would probably be more so were one not as intelligent and self-aware as the four girls we're privileged to meet over the course of a deeply moving film that raises profound questions about the merits of international adoption. But beyond the statistics and tainted moralities inherent to the subject are the actual victims/benefactors of a practice born out of China's abhorrent one-child policy, which was established in 1979 to help confront that nation's rampant overpopulation. And in putting a human face on the issue, Goldstein Knowlton amps up the empathy level to the max.
You'd have to be a stonehearted not to be affected by the girls' struggles to fit in when neither the American nor Chinese cultures fully accept you. As one girl metaphorically states, you're like a banana, "yellow on the outside and white on the inside." In that respect, 15-year-old Fang (pronounced Fong) Lee of Berkeley, Calif., 14-year-old Ann Boccuti of Philadelphia, 13-year-old Haley Butler of Nashville and local girl, 15-year-old Jenna Cook of Newburyport, share the resulting confusion. But it's how they differ in their approach to their dual identities that makes their stories unique. Some are admittedly more compelling, but they all snatch a little piece of your heart.
Structurally, "Somewhere Between" is a bit of a mess, its revelations trite. But, boy, those girls! They really get to you. None more so than the film's fifth wheel, a toddler with bad wheels nicknamed "The Girl in Pink." Abandoned in a Chinese orphanage and afflicted with cerebral palsy, she becomes the cause célèbre for Fang, whom the little girl knows as Big Sister, but loves like a mother. Watching their relationship blossom during Fang's annual trips to China is truly rewarding.
It's also a treat watching the bonds strengthen between Ann and Jenna, as they travel to Europe for a conference on international adoption. While there, Jenna tearfully confronts the demons of self-esteem she's forever trying to outrun. But the de facto star is Hayley, a budding beauty queen with a personality as big as her native country. Throughout, we follow the efforts of her and her devoutly Christian mother to find her birth parents, a search that culminates in one of the most bittersweet moments you'll ever see on film.
It's riveting, as are the movie's more subtle aspects, most notably how much each girl reflects the values of their American hometowns. Jenna, typical of an upper-income New England kid, is athletic and brainy; Ann is quiet and reserved; Fang is a humanitarian and activist; and Haley, a Southerner, is a fan of God, country music and beauty pageants. They are but four of the more than 80,000 Chinese girls who've found homes in the U.S. since the one-child policy was enacted. But in the end, one can't help but think about the thousands of other abandoned children who weren't so lucky. And that's the biggest heartbreak of all.
November 3, 2012
Loved it! Especially because of Lei Lei and because I'm going to China!
½ October 5, 2012
made me wanna cry. sweet stories.
August 24, 2012
As a mother of two beautiful daughters born in China, this film resonates truthfully and powerfully. I will be seeing it again.