Somewhere Between Reviews

• Mar 22, 2014

Beautifully done! Some very powerful moments and you can see these 4 teens really grow as a result of the very challenging journey they're on. The film really captures their stories and developing characters in a very touching way.

Matthew S Super Reviewer
    Dec 19, 2013

Dedicated to her own adopted Chinese daughter, Linda Goldstein Knowlton has created a raw and intimate love-letter carrying the message that the journeys and identities of each adopted child are unique, and sharing their stories gives new perspectives of what may or may not be important in the examination of our selves. Haley, Jenna, Ann, and Fang are incredibly strong young women, and America is so fortunate to be in their graces.

• Oct 03, 2013

Packing, so netflix-ed something random. WOW. "Everyone is on his/her own journey. Except for us the journey goes two ways - forward and backward..." One of the girls featured, Jenni, is captivating. 2 related take-aways for me. 1. Aren't we all on two-way journeys? 2. Experiences by themselves are superficial. It is how we structure and interpret our own stories that provide us their significance, and thus chart the ways forward. That means, optimistically, that a lot about our states of being (if not our circumstances) are well within our command.

• Sep 06, 2013

cant say it was exactly well done but some of the adoptees stories were moving.

cant say it was exactly well done but some of the adoptees stories were moving.

• Aug 26, 2013

This is a really touching documentary of Chinese adoptees in the US. If you are on Netflix, watch it. Why I watch this? Well, guess...

• Jun 30, 2013

A very insightful and informative documentary which manages to be interesting as well as poignant.

• Apr 17, 2013

This movie is horrifically out of date. The days when foreigners could adopt Chinese children are long past. The implications in this film reinforce the impression of a China of the 1990's, not the modern nation that is emerging to potentially lead the 21st century. While this film is poignant, the content is flippant, inaccurate, and potentially dangerous to the many adopted children in this world. Watch this film with the knowledge that it no longer reflects reality. You are watching a movie about a problem that occurred 20 years ago. They should have produced and brought this film to market much earlier. As it stands, it only reinforces many negative and incorrect stereotypes. (From someone who speaks Mandarin, knows China like the back of his hand, is adopted by parents of a different ethnicity, and is married to a Chinese woman). And as an adopted American... the problems the United States faces with its own foster care system now far outweigh the problems abandoned children face in China.

• Apr 15, 2013

Fantastic movie for those who are touched by transracial adoption.

Fantastic movie for those who are touched by transracial adoption.

• Apr 03, 2013

Movie #1 in my back-to-back documentaries on Chinese adoptions.

Movie #1 in my back-to-back documentaries on Chinese adoptions.

• Mar 15, 2013

There are good people in this world.

There are good people in this world.